It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: First Marijuana Drug To Be Approved in Canada

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
We all have witnessed legal battles around the medical use of marijuana in the US. Now, looks like there is a breakthrough up North, in Canada -- the first cannabis-based drug will be approved. It's not smoked but heck, that's not what it's for. As long as it works.

www.cnn.com
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- British biotech firm GW Pharmaceuticals' cannabis-based medicine has been tipped for approval for the first time, with Canadian regulators giving the go-ahead for its multiple sclerosis drug.

The news comes just weeks after British regulators said they wanted more evidence about the benefits of the drug, which is used to treat the central nervous system disease, delaying its approval in the UK and battering GW Pharma's shares.

"As far as I'm aware, it's the first approval for a prescription cannabis medicine anywhere," a spokesman for the firm told Reuters on Tuesday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Canada once again proves itself a progressive country by allowing the drug based on marijuana to be used to help Multiple Sclerosis patients. Looks like due diligence was done.

Wonder what effect it will have on the MJ politics in the US.

[edit on 12-21-2004 by William One Sac]

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 09:24 PM
link   
considering that the United States Drug Czar and the FDA have already stated that Marijuana has no therapeutic value, this new Cannabis based drug certainly refutes that argument.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Personally I believe marijuana should be available for both medical and recreational purposes. But this finding isn't anything special. For years the United States has had an approved marijuana-based drug, Marinol which is pure tetrahydrocannibinol. The Netherlands approved medical marijuana distributed by the state several months ago after it being available over-the-counter in coffee shops for years.

This ruling will have absolutely no effect on U.S. policy.

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Marinol is a synthetic drug, with no natural derivative and the side effects were pretty horrible to my understanding, and I don't think it was pure THC it was delta-9-THC, I could be wrong it has been a while since I did any reading on it. Until our legislatures quit taking money from coporate interests to shape our policies, there is no hope for the legalization of marijuana. They would much rather us purchase patentable, marketable chemicals they can profit from than to have us realize the basic truths of homeopathic medicene. I have yet to hear of a drug manufactured by pharmaceutical companies that you can't get from a natural source. I'd say proliferation would be an adequete response to this ridiculous prohibition, that little tray of stems and seeds that gets thrown away every day would do wonders if you and everybody else slung it somewhere besides the garbage can... Can you say Kudzu?

posted on Jan, 13 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
The drug may be synthetically produced but delta-9-THC is thought to be the most psychologically active chemical in marijuana. Most complaints about Marinol include that it is a pill and the smoked form is more effective and the other related chemicals in the natural product enhance the beneficiary medical effects.

I think that the Supreme Court may very well rule that the U.S. government can't stop States from allowing citizens to grow their own marijuana for medical use or prosecute those citizens under federal law -- a case is before them now. But if so, it will have nothing to do with any decision by the Canadian government.

[edit on 1/13/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
woot woot

good stuff

posted on Jan, 14 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
finally.
the ancient herb, that was used for medicine for centuries,
is used by our "ultra hyper modern doctors"?
i CAN NOT belive it!

ofcourse, two thumbs up!

top topics

join