It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Maine Adds Work Requirement to Welfare Benefits

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax
a reply to: Answer

So you openly admit that if you have gaps in employment then why bother? What are these people to do?

I have gaps all over my employment record. Haven't had a job in over 2 years now. Luckily I don't look for work nor do I plan to.

But not everyone has the same support system I do.

I never said "why bother."

I said it makes for an uphill battle and those with large gaps in their employment should seek out opportunities to get some fresh work experience and gain a good recent reference; and these programs serve that purpose.
edit on 4/22/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Wouldn't those programs cost more than feeding a person?

Also yeah people can complete the programs but still not have any employers want to hire them, or just not have the skills to hold a job. Lotta good that money did then.

edit on 22-4-2015 by corvuscorrax because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: corvuscorrax

Wouldn't those programs cost more than feeding a person?

Also yeah people can complete the programs but still not have any employers want to hire them, or just not have the skills to hold a job. Lotta good that money did then.

So we should give up on those programs and offer people free money/food instead? The money is spent with the goal of getting those people employed and off of government assistance.

It won't work for every single person but that is certainly no reason to abandon the idea altogether.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
So the choice is to offer businesses free labor and a tax write off, or offer people free food? Mmmm.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
So the choice is to offer businesses free labor and a tax write off, or offer people free food? Mmmm.

If, after all that I've explained, that's the only way you can see this issue, I give up. You're dead-set in your skewed perception and nothing will change it... just like I figured.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I live in the remote boonies of Maine. On Feb 17th I had a terrible accident on my mountain bike and shattered my leg. What were you doing on a mountain bike in Feb you ask? Our car died and I HAD to get to town, which is 4 miles away. So on the 17th it warmed to 20 degrees and off I went. Ended up in the emergency room instead. Leg was so bad it required surgery. I signed up for whatever benefit I could qualify for on Feb 19th. Here it is nearly May and I finally received is $250 in food stamps for which I'm very grateful for. But somehow I don't qualify for any sort of Mainecare even though I cannot walk. I was passed over to Healthcare dot gov for some reason and they tell me I don't qualify for any sort of free care.

So that's it. No healthcare as of yet. I've been given the runaround. It's the first time in my life I've been desperate for help and it's nearly impossible to get it. I have NO idea how I've made it these last 2.5 months. It's been REALLY bad. All I can say is it seems like Maine doesn't care about the well being of me at all no matter what I do. It's seriously frustrating and down right depressing. My mental health is in terrible shape. When you really, really need help from the state after working my entire life and have even served in the Navy, I cannot get help. Sad.

If anyone has any sort of suggestions I'm all ears. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
we already have that in ohio. and I think its a good idea. most people I know that had them were given some hours every month and that got them motivated to look for a job.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join