It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Future of Christianty - Robots...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
It is something that gets you in state of wondering should you just cry or laugh and roll on floor.

thedailyshow.cc.com...

What is future of Christianity?

It's all about money... mega churches,... but robots? Seriously?

Smarter robots will choose to believe in Christianity?!

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

Isn't this show a comedy show?

You know, where they make up jokes for entertainment.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

Unfortunately, the people interviewed in the segment exist as portrayed and they actually believe what they are saying.

It is funny because it is true. Not ATOM but the people who were interviewed.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Well I have indeed worked with many AI and I can confirm that robots cannot "choose to believe". They have to be programmed to believe in a God if you want it to believe in a god, just like they have to be programmed to believe in secularism if you want it to believe in secularism. Nothing can spring from nothing - any thoughts of a robot have a deterministic origin, and this origin is called a programmer.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   

You should get a kick out of this thread then. I sure did when it was posted.

Evangelists plan to convert atheist computers to Christianity

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I think you are missing the point, he is not talking about robots of today, he is talking about AI, future robots, who he believe will 'choose' to believe in Christianity, with might happen if they are programed not to question while programed to make their judgement.

As already said, program is made by Comedy Central, but unfortunately segment is about real people.
edit on 16-4-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Hehe I am actually very curious.

How would a Christian computer behave??

Perhaps it'll interpret "undefined" as "God"... Sorry, couldn't resist making a nerdy joke.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog

I think you are missing the point, he is not talking about robots of today, he is talking about AI, future robots, who he believe will 'choose' to believe in Christianity.

Robots of the future will still be robots - they will still need to be programmed to believe in god, otherwise without programming a computer is a useless set of memory with no function.

A mere processor cannot "choose to believe in God" unless a programmer introduces the function of believing and the concept of God into it.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
LOL, you are talking to wrong person here...

I am IT, computer programmer, so I know how absurd this idea sounds, thus not sure if just ROFL or cry when I saw this segment in last night Daily Show.

His faith in future... makes me wonder what he smokes...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Hehe, too true, too true.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

originally posted by: SuperFrog

I think you are missing the point, he is not talking about robots of today, he is talking about AI, future robots, who he believe will 'choose' to believe in Christianity.

Robots of the future will still be robots - they will still need to be programmed to believe in god, otherwise without programming a computer is a useless set of memory with no function.

A mere processor cannot "choose to believe in God" unless a programmer introduces the function of believing and the concept of God into it.

You are being far too simplistic about AI. Any decision a human makes is based upon a lifetime of experience ie millions of inputs driving one outcome. We con ourselves into believing it's free will but it isn't. It's just a numbers game in the end. Current AI is still at the level of making decisions based on a programmable handful of inputs. Once the memory capacity increasing significantly, with learning algorithms and thus the inputs to a decision making process approaches the millions, then who knows?

However, any truly thinking machine will have the knowledge of all those physics books and all the religious texts so it will make a more informed choice BUT......back to the millions of inputs. Who knows why people choose to believe in mythical creatures to explain holes in their understanding ? Hmmm...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad
Once the memory capacity increasing significantly, with learning algorithms and thus the inputs to a decision making process approaches the millions, then who knows?

However, any truly thinking machine will have the knowledge of all those physics books and all the religious texts so it will make a more informed choice BUT......back to the millions of inputs. Who knows why people choose to believe in mythical creatures to explain holes in their understanding ? Hmmm...

But you forget two things.

1: Even though an AI's memory can indeed expand, its method of processing information, its "thinking" processes, will still be based on programmer's logics. It will still require functions designed by humans to mimic human thinking - which is essential if you want an AI that can interact with humans.

2: The human mind is already capable of handling millions of inputs. Every memories a human has, every knowledge, every automatic responses to stimuli, every spatial and temporal references it remembers, every simulations of future result, multiply that by every singe sensory inputs man is capable of experiencing... All this makes AI a rather crude imitation of true cognition as defined by actual biological processes - only proving the point that artificial intelligence computers are but (albeit complex) puppets of natural intelligence beings.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
Wait wait. Doesn't that violate Christianity? How can something invented by humans have a soul? Therefore, how can AI robots believe in Christianity?

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Indeed. No soul to save = no need to have Faith in Christ.

Amateurs...

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

This looks clearly like a multifaceted spoof. Robot becomes atheist in the end when faced with overwhelming contradictions......i.e. robots are smarter than most christians.

John asks "But what is the future of Christianity"? The robots wake up and go atheist.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
America, the land of make believe. Church, Disney, TV, video games, circuses, zoos…

phoney baloney. They'll believe anything. Look how they been primed for it.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Therefore, how can AI robots believe in Christianity?

They're intelligence is artificial silly, they are programmed by people so they will behave the way they're told.

If zealots program robots to be zealots they will comply. Just like people.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Oh I know that they can be programmed to do and behave any way you want them to. I'm just wondering how that is justified considering it wouldn't have a soul.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Oh I know that they can be programmed to do and behave any way you want them to. I'm just wondering how that is justified considering it wouldn't have a soul.

Modern "smart" weapons are soulless, too. We justify that all day.

Perfect henchmen don't question, they just do.

posted on Apr, 16 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Then they are just following orders and not actually believing anything.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join