It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukrainian KGB archives will be opened and information declassified

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
LINK HERE

publication, exhibition and other forms of popularization repressive bodies’ archival information.

Materials will be published not only on the requests of concerned citizens, but the responsibilities of the Institute of National Remembrance will include their systematic publication and promotion.
In the Article 7 of bill No. 2540 is said that access to Archival Information of repressive bodies is provided by:

providing for everyone concerned the data carrier to review the archival information or its copy;

access to a digital copy of the archive information;

publication of the information on the official website of the organizer of a digital archival information and the copy of the archived information;

making archival references, excerpts from documents;

The law also prevents the ability to hide information:
Law on Personal Data Protection does not apply to information from the archives (Art. 1.3)
The assignment of the repressive bodies’ archival information to classified information is prohibited; (Art. 5.4 )
From Article 8:
Access to information can’t be limited in accordance with the laws and international treaties of Ukraine.
It can not be limited the access to repressive bodies’ archived information, which contain secrecy stamps not required by law of Ukraine (for example Soviet stamps “Secret” and “Top Secret”)

The only possible access restrictions:
A persons who are a victims of repression, have the right to restrict access to archival information about themselves. Such rights does not apply to people who were employees of repressive bodies and then became victims of repression.

The list of repressive bodies, which archives will be opened:
(including all units and departments)
Committee for State Security (KGB)
Main Intelligence Directorate (GRU)
Ministry of State Security (MGB)
All-Russian Extraordinary Commission for Combating Counter-Revolution and Sabotage (Cheka)
The Ministry of Internal Affairs USSR
People’s Commissariat for Internal Affairs (NKVD)
Joint State Political Directorate
SMERSH
The Supreme Court
The Supreme Court of Cassation
The Supreme Cassation Tribunal
Ministry of Justice
Prosecution of USSR

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

Interesting but, didn't the KGB itself declassify loads of documents before pulling it all back in the 90s?

The Ukraine wouldn't have any FSB archives so I assume this is all related exclusively to the Soviet Union.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

It's just a means to spew venom at Russia
I predict none of the dirt shoveled up will have anything to do regarding the current junta
who no doubt have very thick files

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
a reply to: greencmp

Yeltsin declassified a very small bit of very old USSR documents, that lead to movies like K-19 and finding out that US POW's during Vietnam were sent to Russia, tortured then executed. But nothing on this scale that Ukraine is about to do. With the conflict between Ukraine and Russia right now I suspect there will be some very juicy info released.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: AdamuBureido

Well, that isn't exactly true since Putin was a KGB officer and a Stasi coordinator in East Germany.

There could be some very damning revelations though I hardly think they will change the dynamic since opinions are cemented on both sides and the propaganda exchange of late has diminished intellectual rigor to the level of vegetation.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:16 PM
link   
a reply to: defiythelie

Wow, I am keeping my expectations low so as not to be disappointed but, that data could indeed be a shaft of light into the dark caverns of our ignorance about the state of the USSR in its final decline.

posted on Apr, 10 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
We can only imagine the editing that will happen during the delays to produce specific documents.

posted on Apr, 13 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   
a reply to: AdamuBureido

I doubt its an "excuse to throw venom at Russia". You could be accused of using everything from LGBT threads and other non related threads to spew venom at the US. At least here there will be actual documentation. You would just make a post and run and throw in a meme that isnt even related to the subject at hand and then make a childish comparison of the US with it. Like that is intellectual conversation or worthy of peoples time.

I think the material is interesting at worst, and possibly revealing at best. You havent read it but make assumptions based on your bias. Thats not exactly intellectually honest. Hence why you cant expect us to take your words as informed observations, rather they are propagandistic retribution towards your perceived enemy. Thats petty.

new topics

top topics

join