It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thrilling Power Of Dust Storms Captured On Photo Camera

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
WOW!!! That is all I can say!

Dust storms known as haboobs occur in arid regions throughout the world, such as the Sahara desert, the Arabian Peninsula, Kuwait, arid areas of Iraq, North America and the deserts of Central Australia. As you will see in these 15 photographs, dust storms look truly ominous. With sand and debris reaching several kilometers into the sky and leaving up to a foot of sand in their paths, haboobs display insuperable power of nature.

Phoenix, Arizona, 2012

Phoenix, Arizona, 2011

Indian Ocean near Onslow, Australia, 2013

Khartoum, Sudan, 2007

Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia, 2010

Al Asad, Iraq, 2007

Phoenix, Arizona, 2011

dailybest.us...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I've always been fascinated with those. Thanks for sharing !
I wonder what happens if you are caught in the middle of one

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Love all of them. But that third one from the top, wow!

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
If you have nothing to say but "wow", maybe you should have consolidated your three threads and put together a better presentation.

A lot of good, thought provoking threads get pushed down the page and overlooked because of some people's need to just post a link and say "wow, nature is amazing".

Go ahead and flame away.

edit on 6-4-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

If I had more time, I would have added a lot more, but it 20 past midnight where I am. But see you in about 8 hours.....

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I'm pretty sure that posting one thread does not make anyone sit down and stare at it for hours. You click on the link and check it out and when your done.. you go back to the on topic forums.

I personally think it's good to mix in something different among all the serious discussion threads going on right now. It gets boring to refresh the recent tab and get the same threads.

edit on 6-4-2015 by blackmetalmist because: ...

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Shades of 'Intersteller'. And of the old Lillian Gish film 'The Wind'. Then, of course, the film about Woody Guthrie, the film and book 'The Grapes of Wrath', and the Ken Burns documentary, and that about wraps up the popular cultures interest in dust storms.

Never been in one myself, but I know people who have, and it isn't a walk in the park.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Watch "Hidalgo."
It has a good sand storm scene.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Troll.

The pictures are amazeing and made me want to look in to this.
So heads up OP thank you for bringing this to my attention.
We all educate each other. I am not an island.

WIS

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Those are awesome photos. I was in a dust storm in Los Angeles
in the 90's. It was just like those photos & we watched it as
it approached. Once you're in it you can't see anything but
dark cloud of dirt & debris. It left a huge mess on anything
that was outside.
They warned heavily for people to stay inside & especially anyone
with breathing difficulties to have masks if possible...Asthma,
elderly & etc. I hope I never experience another one.

Cheers
Ektar

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackmetalmist

Pretty much what you'd expect. Lots of dust in the air and it's whipping around a fair bit. It's a little uncomfortable, but not as bad as it looks. I live in Phoenix, so I've been outside in these things.

posted on Apr, 6 2015 @ 10:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: blackmetalmist

My uncle can answer that question. i was very young, we lived in 29 palms ca, USMC base, my uncle lived in stumps, one summer he decided he was going to buy him self a new cadilac, top of the line, all the extra's.

He drove into LA and purchased it at a dealership a buddy worked at, so he would get the best deal, was so proud, he paid cash for it, been saving for a few years. (late 60's). Did the paperwork, filled the tank and headed home to show off his new toy. There is a section of road between there and his home that was a big valley, the highway went right through the middle of it. He topped the hill, and hit the bottom, playing with his new toy, pushed it up to 120 on the long straight road, enjoying the feeling of a new ride. When over the top of the hill ahead of him, came a dust storm.
He did not have time to react, it was a fast moving wind, and caught him in the middle of the valley.

By the time he got home, there was no paint left on the car, he had to drive the rest of the way home with his head hanging out the window so he cold see. All his windows were frosted due to the sand.

Talk about one very MAD person, he was fit to be tied, he parked the car in the back of his house and did not touch it for at least a week, got mad every time he saw it.

But, if it can do that to a car, i'm sure the human body and the layers of skin that we have would be no match. It would be one painful way to go if you got caught out in the open in a storm with strong winds.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 05:47 AM
link   
I have never been inside a sand storm, but I hear that you should find some cover as soon as you see one approaching!

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Richard Hammond did a great episode about dust storms, how they start and how the dust gets up that high. It was part of a series on wild weather.

Actually here it is, watch from about 8 minutes, he actually creates a small dust storm with the help of some of my countrymen.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
NOT much fun to actually BE in however.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: blackmetalmist

so like nothing in 2 years then? its an improvement LOL I'm not joking.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
a reply to: nrd101

just think of all the nasties that could be hiding in dust, and no I'm not joking again, I'm talking about sentient liforms the size of dust, or our terminology which is nanorobots. lol

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   

so could nanorobots one day replace and repair DNA? only you know that scientistr.

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

so Ya, I have a plane to catch I just don't know when I'll be able to fly again?

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   

I apologize to the mods, the rain is really loud, and I'm in California so I feel like I'm in heaven right about now. Its 7:37 am, which is a sign of the times I guess. Good Day. And Good Night. as well, for we all sleep sometime.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join