It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forest for the trees and discrimination

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
dis·crim·i·na·tion: the unjust or prejudicial treatment of different categories of people or things, especially on the grounds of race, age, or sex.

I will keep this short, since I didn't post this in the rant section. Part of me laughs and another part of me wants to beat my head against the wall when I read, "I would never go to a place that practices discrimination'.

This feeling is especially true on Facebook.

Why, because all most everyone who is saying that they would never support discrimination have been to and will go back to: a bar.

Saying you cannot go into a place or buy a service since you are not of the age of X, is straight up, by the book, discrimination

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Honestly I have been discriminated against my whole life (black male) BUT I think its ok to varying degrees. If this is referring to that refusal of that gay wedding cake I think if that was the only cake shop they had access to and the dude had no hands to make a cake YEAH give him the cake but if not he can just go somewhere else. if it was not a reference to that sorry I even brought it up, lol.

Why do people want someone who doesnt like them to accept them it doesnt matter what they think.

This whole discrimination can run either way. For e.g. I was at the gym and trying to eat and got chastised about other people trying to lose weight and the fact its rude to eat in front of them (lol). I simply told the person "Excuse me there are people trying to gain weight here and I would appreciate it if you encouraged them by eating more often at the gym, have some decency!" Flash of a grin from ear to ear and walked away. Key part walked away. They were dumbfounded because they thought we had to come to an agreeance on the subject matter, BRO there are way to many people and places for that.

I firmly believe there are too many people to agree on every matter, I frankly do not deal with people who disagree with me, would that be discrimination?

ETA: *ducks for cover*
edit on 5-4-2015 by birhan because: forgot to defend myself lol

ETA: *peaks up and sees no one, shrugs, gets up, and walks away*
edit on 5-4-2015 by birhan because: coasts clear

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
So, from that perspective, would it be by the book to issue a drivers license to a 5 year old?

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

Keeping people out of bars until they're eighteen is more of a health and safety issue.

In some smaller towns, those between 16 and 18 are still allowed to work in the kitchen or play in a band - they just have to use the back door (employees only) to keep them separate from the other patrons

Drinking at too young of an age kills developing brain cells.

I guess in the US, it's more about laws than health/safety because 21 is already 3 years into adulthood..

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: thinline

I think that you have to be careful about how you classify discriminatory policies. Obviously, one cannot run a school with a reasonable degree of student safety in mind, if one of the janitorial staff happens to be a convicted paedophile. Technically speaking, preventing such people from working around children, would be discrimination, if we cast as broad a net with the way we think about the word, as your OP seems to.

However, it must also be said, that although it is important to keep people who pose a danger to children, or other human beings for that matter, away from potential targets of crime, and although it is sensible to prevent a five year old from gaining access to a drivers permit, as another poster alluded to, there are types of discrimination enacted by governments which appear to be entirely unjustifiable.

And of course, there are also the sorts of discrimination which are expressed by individuals toward others, perhaps for reasons of faith, creed, or colour of the skin. None of these are valid, all who carry the ability within themselves to hate or mistreat a person just because of what amounts to differences between themselves and the objects of their dislike, are in fact backward knuckled daggers, no matter how intelligent they think themselves to be, or indeed how intelligent they might otherwise appear.

So in summary, you have to be fully aware of context when making value judgements about terminology. Discrimination is not always a negative factor in the life of a citizen, but the context in which the term is being used is CRUCIAL to understanding its validity. Arbitrary standards imposed by government, which either ignore, or fly in the face of scientific understanding, for example, are often as much use as a chocolate teapot at a garden party on the surface of the sun. Keeping genuinely dangerous individuals away from potential targets for their insanities on the other hand, is just common sense. Hating on a person you never met over some perceived and apparently irreconcilable difference, is ignorance in motion, stupidity made flesh and allowed to walk the world. Context is everything.

top topics

join