It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfield uses machine to sign his name!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:46 AM
link   
What a scum bag! If you give your life for your country at least rumsfield
can sign the letter!

64.233.167.104...:i4tsNMUMyqsJ:washingtontimes.com/commentary/20041123-083715-4216r.htm+Rumsfeld+Machine+Signature&hl=en

The Real McCoy:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine that should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved, lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully, Abraham Lincoln

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From Rumsfield you get this:

Donald Rumsfeld � who's known as a people-eating systems man � has a long history that shows he prefers technology to humans. Certainly as SecDef he's always gone for high-tech military gear rather than giving the boots on the ground max priority when it comes to the basics: armored vehicles and vests, sufficient ammo and all the other vital stuff that helps soldiers make it through the Valley of Death.
His beloved shock-and-awe whiz-bang wonder weapons worked well enough initially in Afghanistan and Iraq, but as we saw on the tube last week, we're once again back to the age-old struggle of man against man � with grunts, not machines, taking and holding ground.
And now, apparently, Rumsfeld's obsession with machines and their efficiency has translated into his using one to replace his own John Hancock on KIA (killed in action) letters to parents and spouses. Two Pentagon-based colonels, who've both insisted on anonymity to protect their careers, have indignantly reported that the SecDef has relinquished this sacred duty to a signature device rather than signing the sad documents himself.
When I went to Jim Turner, a good man saddled with a tough job as one of Rumsfeld's flacks at the Pentagon, for a confirmation or a denial, he said, "Rumsfeld signs the letters himself."
I then went to about a dozen next-of-kin of American soldiers KIA in Iraq. Most agreed with the colonels' accusations and said they'd noticed and been insulted by the machine-driven signature. One father bitterly commented that he thought it was a shame that the SecDef could keep his squash schedule but not find the time to sign his dead son's letter. Several also felt compelled to tell me that the letter they received from George Bush also looked as though it was not signed personally by the president.
Dr. Ted Smith, whose son Eric was among the first 100 killed in Iraq, notes that the letter he received "from the commander in chief was signed with a thick, green marking pen. I thought it was stamped then and do even now. He had time for golf and the ranch but not enough to sign a decent signature with a pen for his beloved hero soldiers. I was going to send the letter back but did not. I am sorry I didn't."
Sue Niederer, whose son Seth was also killed in Iraq, sums it up: "My son wasn't a person to these people, he was just an entity to play their war game. But where are their children? Not one of them knows how any of us feel, and they obviously aren't interested in finding out. None of them cares. And Rumsfeld depersonalizing his signature � it's a slap in the face, don't you think?"
Probably. I have devoted so much of my later life crusading to save soldiers from uncaring generals and politicians and bureaucrats, who tend so easily to view these kids � who are rarely their own flesh and blood � as abstract pawns in a virtual game of chess, because I was there. I stood and was counted, and I will never forget the pain when I signed KIA letters in Korea and Vietnam. I would choke up as I signed them � I could see the boys' faces, their cocky smiles, their muddy soldier suits. Each signing reinforced the awesome responsibility I carried as a leader to be as protective as possible about the young lives entrusted to me.
After I talked with the nearest and dearest of the KIA, I called Turner back and told him there was evidence that Rumsfeld's signature was in fact machine-produced. I asked him to double-check, and he promised to get me the straight skinny by my deadline. But late Friday I received a typical Pentagon duck-and-dodge e-mail: "Regret to say I have not been able to get a response as of COB (close of business) today ..."
Throughout World War II, Army Chief of Staff George Marshall made sure that President Franklin Roosevelt was briefed in detail on the number of soldiers who had fallen. FDR, incidentally, probably wanted to know. He had sons who were serving.
I suspect that Sue Niederer and the other kin are on target about how not signing the KIA letters helps keep the commander in chief and the SecDef detached from the consequences of a nasty war and its messy human fall-out.
� Eilhys England contributed to this column.
David Hackworth is a syndicated columnist.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by GrndLkNatv]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
In a normal war, and not in the twighlight zone of the liberal media. The commanding officer of the fallen writes the letter to the family. So what if he didn't afix in his won blood his very own handwritten signature. Get a life, grow a brain, all you libs out there.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:56 AM
link   
republican parties butts. My Grandfather, Gen. B K. Holloway, Vice Chief of Staff, USAF, signed each and everyone of them himself when a soldier fell, so did my cousin, George C. Marshall, his mother was my great grandmothers sister, Margaret Taliferro, so Rumsfield can be a man or get out.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I dont see what the problem is, most people use stamps to sign letters if they have alot. Why should he be any diffrent? You act like the goverment really cares about peoples deaths.

People die everyday, "A caskets made of wood, and we all take it there someday, # today is sunday we both could be there on monday."

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Previous Quote:

"I dont see what the problem is, most people use stamps to sign letters if they have alot. Why should he be any diffrent? You act like the goverment really cares about peoples deaths.

People die everyday, "A caskets made of wood, and we all take it there someday, today is sunday we both could be there on monday." "

These people defend your right to spout stupidity, they deserve a real signature, they are people, not machines. If your mother received a machine signed note are your head was blown off would she be happy?

link   
When you have to sign hundreds of pages per day it gets real old.

My people use a pre-inked stampers, its a copy of my signature and it does the job very well.

Very common, no big deal. You just have to make sure the stamper is not used for the wrong reason. I review each stamped page before dispersal.

Happy Holidays
SIRR1

link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
Get a life, grow a brain, all you libs out there.

Thankfully, not all members of the GOP share your views on this, DrH:

"My goodness, that's the least that we could expect of the secretary of defense, is having some personal attention paid by him," said Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., noting that President Bush signs such letters himself.

"If the president of the United States can find time to do that, why can't the Secretary of Defense?" Hagel, a Vietnam veteran, asked on CBS' "Face the Nation."

Rep. Roy Blunt of Missouri, the third-ranking Republican in the House said on CNN's "Late Edition" that "signing the letter is a mechanical but an important thing."

"It's better for him to do it and he's acknowledged that. It was a mistake and it was a mistake that he's now said he will rectify," Blunt said.

Frankly, I personally wouldn't have an issue with the faux signature; if my loved one has just been killed, this would be the least of my concerns.

www.ajc.com...

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
republican parties butts. My Grandfather, Gen. B K. Holloway, Vice Chief of Staff, USAF, signed each and everyone of them himself when a soldier fell, so did my cousin, George C. Marshall, his mother was my great grandmothers sister, Margaret Taliferro, so Rumsfield can be a man or get out.

First, this current "republican" party is too liberal.................And as was typical of "zoomies" they all had time to do the "little" things for the "little" people who died for them. Personally afixing an original ink signature doesn't make a man. How about a wax seal and "ring" crest on each envelope? Is that enough for you? Grow up................

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv

These people defend your right to spout stupidity,

Well, they defended Iraqs rights not americans. Dont get me wrong I support the armied forces, I dont support your argument.

[edit on 20-12-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
For those soldiers who want a real signature, go on strike and walk away from the war front, those those people here who want a stamp, you take their place.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Has to be the laziest loser in the world... How many hand signed notes do you think went out in World War II? More in one hour than this entire conflict.....

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
This just proves he's a scum bag of a man! The public wants to hear honesty from our political leaders during a time of war, especially when your loved ones are serving.

This is completely appalling!

How much significance/meaning do the Ed McMahon you've won $10 million dollars sweep stakes have when they're clearly signed by a machine. Is that what our nations fallen soldiers deserve for fighting in an unjust war?

Artificial signatures?

[edit on 20-12-2004 by syntaxer]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:08 AM
link   
It is so nice we can have an argument over who signs a letter of death notification.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Deflect the issue. Rumsfeld is going down!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrHoracid
It is so nice we can have an argument over who signs a letter of death notification.

It's insulting and you know it!

If you were in the military and perished serving/fighting for your country. Would you be content knowing your family and loved ones received a letter that was artificially signed by a machine?

It's disgraceful and you should be a shame of yourself man/woman for arguing otherwise.

Ed McMahon death notifications in the mail is completely appalling and disrespectful! and case closed!

[edit on 20-12-2004 by syntaxer]

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:18 AM
link   
NO it is'nt right Rumsfeld is'nt personally signing his name to our
soilder's death letters.
A stamp is so impersonal and cold. But then that's how Rumsfeld
strikes me anyway. Impersonal and cold.
He could sign these death letters and use his stamp for other papers.
Why does'nt he?

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer

and case closed!

Buy you.

Thats your opioion. Tell me why bush isnt sending out letters signed, he is the Commander and Cheif.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
Buy you.

Thats your opioion. Tell me why bush isnt sending out letters signed, he is the Commander and Cheif.

I agree! Every family would rather receive a death notification from the president. From reading into this mater i didt encounter this quote.

"My goodness, that's the least that we could expect of the secretary of defense, is having some personal attention paid by him," said Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., noting that President Bush signs such letters himself.

I dunno huh..

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Surprise... the system doen't care one iota about the lives of those it devours!
Really to think Rummy gives two shakes of a monkeys whatsit about the kids dying out there, you have got another thing coming. Seriously!

No the only thing Rummy cares about is that HIS kids are not being shot at and that his gun making buddies are selling enough ammo.

And even if there was a personal signature on it.. so what? Rummys little scribble is enough to convince you he cares and your loved one's life was valued and not in vain?!?!
The guy probably eats poor brown babies for breakfast.

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Come on, the guy's like a hundred and fifty years old...

He probably can barely lift his arm long enough to sign the official documents he has to sign on a daily basis, let alone some letters that would be nice for him to sign.

No, Right. Rumsfeld doesn't give a damn about soldiers who have died or their families. That should be apparent regardless of whether he signs these letters or not.

<<   2 >>

join