It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Role Models

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Do you believe your parents did the best job they knew how to do?

Think about that carefully. The question is not asking whether your parents/guardians were objectively good at their role but rather - if you consider the tools available, experience gained and knowledge acquired by them at their time of parenthood - if they did the best job they knew how. I feel we underestimate environmental factors as well as the existence (or absence) of decent role models in people's lives when judging them.

Remember, we all have unique subjective experiences that we cannot relay directly to others. Something that seemed innocent for some might be viewed as traumatic or highly stressful for others. The way we think and organise information is very likely to vary greatly among individuals. It can take just one significant trigger to set us off for the better or for worse.

It is not a new discovery that environmental factors during childhood/adolescence can have a massive impact on the way we turn out as adults. It is, albeit, a highly important consideration that many seem to forget. We also often overlook the existence or absence of certain role models during our maturation into adulthood.

I know some would say that Role Models are not so important. After all, if role models are too influential then mirroring/moulding somebody to be like somebody else is a possibility; uniqueness and individuality are harmed in the process.

Nevertheless, the benefits of having decent role models cannot be overstated, nor can the detriment of having bad role models during your development as a human being.

What are YOUR views on the importance of Role Models and how they affect one's development?

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

when i released from the army at age 21 i started to work with an old master plumber, building houses and other water systems. he taught me so much i adored him and with a boyish naive i did everything he told me too, because i thought he was genius and knew things better than anyone. after five years of working hard as his Protege i am Self employed for a year now, and even he told me lately i build water system he would never have been able to do.

Role Models are important for every beginning. but unless you wont think for yourself, you will never get pass those role models
edit on 5-4-2015 by vArchon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: vArchon
a reply to: Dark Ghost

when i released from the army at age 21 i started to work with an old master plumber, building houses and other water systems. he taught me so much i adored him and with a boyish naive i did everything he told me too, because i thought he was genius and knew things better than anyone. after five years of working hard as his Protege i am Self employed for a year now, and even he told me lately i build water system he would never have been able to do.

Role Models are important for every beginning. but unless you wont think for yourself, you will never get pass those role models

Beauty response I like the last sentence especially so much truth.

To add from experience a lack of role model can drive you to accomplish things as well.

join