It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$50...One Day...A New Lease on Life For a Little Girl!

page: 1

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Now this is what it looks like when technology is used for the right reason.

50 dollars, one day and out the door. The change this will make in people's lives is something you just can't deny.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Seven-year-old Faith Lennox got a new 3D printed prosthetic hand on Tuesday. Lennox lost her hand when she was nine-months-old due to her position in the womb at childbirth that cut off blood flow to her left forearm. The rambunctious little girl who taught herself to swim at age 3 and surfs with her father already knows she wants to use her hand to ride her bike. Prosthetic limbs can cost thousands of dollars but Lennox's cost just $50

The prosthetic was constructed overnight at the Build It Workspace studio. It represents a breakthrough in small, lightweight hands that are economical and easy for children to use.

She even got to choose her own colors!

I chose to search good news before coming to ATS this morning to have a different start to my day and I'm so glad I did. So now I can share it with all of you.

Good Morning ATS!

Jude11

edit on 1-4-2015 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: jude11

Well there's a little sunshine for the pessimists around here! Really sweet story

It's great to see the colours she chose too. Aren't they an improvement on all that stainless steel and black rubber we usually see? When she's back in school, the other kids won't be intimidated by a hulk of robotic prosthetic. They'll be seeing Marvel comic magic and some of them will probably want one for Christmas lol

Cool post Jude

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Awesome thanks for sharing, definitely a good start to the day with that story.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:09 AM
link   
So many inexpensive artificial limbs are beginning to be made available now, thanks to 3-D printing and engineering students undertaking meaningful projects. I can't wait for the day it reaches critical mass and that such endeavors become so commonplace that they cease to be news. In the meantime, we simply have to applaud and feel happy for the delighted recipients. May their futures all be bright and happy.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 07:31 AM
link   
@Kandinsky...

Some little guy is going to opt for a Batman theme next.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Absolutely fantastic. It's stories like these that help me make it from week to week. I've always loved the idea of 3D printing, but what really seals the deal for me is the fact that once super expensive prosthetic devices can now be had for "chump change" opposed to just a few short years ago.

I'm very happy for her, she looks like a sweet heart!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'd rather spend $50 on booze personally. Still at least she can play a bond villain now.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   
This is great to see!

3D printing technology is giving more and more people the chance to have modern, comfortable and well-functioning prosthetic limbs at a reasonable price. This is especially important for children because they need replacements so often as they grow, but it will also enable many adults to live happier lives.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 08:44 AM
link   

What a perfect use for the new tech of 3D-Printing! Wonderful and inspiring.

Thanks, OP!

-AB

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: AboveBoard

What a perfect use for the new tech of 3D-Printing! Wonderful and inspiring.

Thanks, OP!

-AB

If only all technology was used for the right reasons.

You're welcome.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
Awesome thanks for sharing, definitely a good start to the day with that story.

Yeah, tired of doom and gloom with my Corn Flakes.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
What a great story! Thanks! It look essentially like it was a custom built "extension gripper" like some use to reach stuff on a high shelf. Appears to use some sort of tension based system to close the fingers and thumb together. Pretty neat....and that smile is HUGE!

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
What a great story! Thanks! It look essentially like it was a custom built "extension gripper" like some use to reach stuff on a high shelf. Appears to use some sort of tension based system to close the fingers and thumb together. Pretty neat....and that smile is HUGE!

Yeah, it's not High tech inside but the $50 is so well spent.

All she wanted to do was ride a bike and now she can.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Why does this girl have to use cheap low grade tech. Why does she not have the latest high end prosthetic? Even the writers of this story missed this simple point.

This story is kinda sad to say the least. She should have the best tech not some cheap plastic knockoff. And before you go and say this is not cheap knockoff.......YES it is.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: SubTruth

Why does this girl have to use cheap low grade tech. Why does she not have the latest high end prosthetic? Even the writers of this story missed this simple point.

This story is kinda sad to say the least. She should have the best tech not some cheap plastic knockoff. And before you go and say this is not cheap knockoff.......YES it is.

I would say a real prosthetic is likely out of range for most that could use them, pricewise that is. And the fact that she is only 7 and would outgrow an expensive prosthetic likely within a year.

I believe that folks typically wait until your body has grown into adulthood before getting a truly functional prosthetic.

Either way, she seems happy and likes it, so doesn't really matter. She has functioned just fine for 7 years without anything.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

I do 3D modeling and design for a living and volunteer time with a group that does stuff like this.

The main reason for not giving this girl a high-tech top of the line prosthetic is cost. She is of the age where she is still going to grow quite a bit. The prosthetic has to be specifically be designed for her size. It is usually best to wait until she stops growing before designing a prosthetic.

What is nice about this is that since the cost is so low several of these prosthetics can be made for her as she grows. Another benefit is that these can be made with increased functionality so that when she is ready for the H-T prosthetic, she is used to having one and the time that it takes for her to get used to the H-T prosthetic is reduced.

posted on Apr, 1 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Of course it's a cheap knock-off. No one denies that. Not everyone can afford to be the 6 Million Dollar Woman.

As some have pointed out it's the growth issue we have to take into consideration.

Look at it this way. Go through your growth spurts paying $50 a pop and maybe even get a cheap 3D printer eventually to do it yourself while at the same time dad goes nuts with a 3D printer to play with. When she stops growing they can then have enough money to get the expensive model.

Or get a bunch of mid grade expensive ones while growing and never be able to afford the expensive one when ready.

One more thing...Look at her face. Do you think she cares? Looks like she's in 7th Heaven and her opinion is the only one that counts right?

I say she's the winner and she knows it.

Jude11

posted on Apr, 2 2015 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Feel free to buy one for her.

And all of the other kids who need one.

top topics

join