It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private Enterprise and Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Lets say the apocoplypse doesn't happen and everything just keeps on progressing. Do you all think that in the future one corporation will control all of space, like in the Alien movies? I have been thinking about this alot with the first private space flight. Do you think we will mine mars and the moon or even farther? I know for the Humans to survive we will have to colonize other planets, there are to many people on this planet now. I dunno I was just wondering.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
No one owns any part of spca eor other planets, so no corporations owning space, AT ALL!! I know their is a guy selling bits of the Moon, it's a good investment, but it's illegal because he doesn't own the land he's selling.

We will Mine the Moon, then live on it, we'll then go to Mars, mine it, then live on it, and spread as far as we can before we are wiped out...

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Noone has the right to space and absolutely noone can enforce that right untill space becomes mass populated and ships have the agility and versatility of those seen on Star Trek and whatnot.

Do you think we will mine mars and the moon or even farther? I know for the Humans to survive we will have to colonize other planets, there are to many people on this planet now. I dunno I was just wondering.

We WILL be mining the Moon, Mars, asteroids and beyond in the coming decades as there is no way around it. This is some of the reason for the Moon-Mars and beyond bases that are going to be constructed. We WILL have to start planning now if we want to survive as a civilization to get off of this planet. It is unwise to put all of you�re eggs in one basket. This is what the situation of mankind is as of now; it needs to change.

As for whom do I think will control space?

2000-2050+ the U.S. military
20xx-0000+ A global alliance of military, or the U.S. military.
I don�t think the Government will let some civilian company take leading role in space-space exploration. This isn�t to say that we won�t be able to do almost exactly what we want in space but rather the government will probably keep tabs on everyone like you see nowadays.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I partially agree with ChrisRT - I believe there will be a BIG private/commercial use of space, were seeing the beginings of this future now. But i believe that (at least for the first 500-1000 years) spacecraft will all be monitored, kinda like big ships are these days, and if you want to circle the moon on a monday stroll it will be as easy as taking off it a personal plane is these days.

oh, and Chris: do you really believe that were going to mars and beyond?

We will go to the moon again, but i think that will be it, the whole vision could fizzle out just like the space station.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

oh, and Chris: do you really believe that were going to mars and beyond?
We will go to the moon again, but i think that will be it, the whole vision could fizzle out just like the space station.

not to sound all fruity and gushy or anything but honestly, it is my dream for all of this to happen... And with China stepping up to the plate when has the U.S. let a good challenge pass it by?
Sure the Russians got into space first but we took it a step (or leap) further and went to the Moon. The next step (or leap) may be Mars. Why not? And if not by NASA then by the 'private industry'. Either one with government keeping a unflinching eye on the operations is A FREAKIN' ok with me!

E_T

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisRT
I don’t think the Government will let some civilian company take leading role in space-space exploration.
Do you really believe that your government represents anything else then big money/capitalism?
www.opensecrets.org... (look health minister)
www.corpwatch.org...
www.corpwatch.org...

I could well agree that things like space tourism should be left to competing private companies... provided that there's certain strict rules.
("out of specs"eroding problem in o-rings of shuttle's SRBs was well known in company making those rocket boosters much before before destruction of Challenger but nothing was done to problem because it would have risked profits/reputation)

"I see in the near future a crisis approaching that unnerves me and causes me to tremble for the safety of my country. ... corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money power of the country will endeavor to prolong its reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until all wealth is aggregated in a few hands and the Republic is destroyed."
-- U.S. President Abraham Lincoln, Nov. 21, 1864 (letter to Col. William F. Elkins) Ref: "The Lincoln Encyclopedia", Archer H. Shaw (Macmillan, 1950, NY)

posted on Dec, 20 2004 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Do you really believe that your government represents anything else then big money/capitalism?

As stupid as I may sound that�s what I�m rooting for... I care if they are corrupt but what can you do about it, 'eh? I just care that they enforce certain rules and at least resemble a ruling body... I wouldn�t want some small foreign country to come along and start ruling things now.

top topics

join