It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stores selling opened/returned items as new

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I have run into this FAR too many times, 3 times in the past two weeks, but it happens so often, it's ridiculous.

I shop at Walmart when I don't have a better choice. Meaning, I finally get a chance to run out for something I need and that disgusting dump is the only place open.

The other night, my last phone charger crapped out. I went to Walmart to get one of those $5 cheapies. While they're, I figured I might as well buy a piece of junk cig lighter adapter for it as well. The wall charger works fine, but I tried the car one in the lot right away (as my phone was just about dead. As I opened it, I noticed the interior plastic shell of the packaging looked beat up. "Here we go again", I thought. Sure enough, it doesn't work. Glad I didn't leave the lot yet. Oh wait, it's 11pm. Can't return or exchange, because the so-called service desk is closed.

One of my other purchases was a new heating pad. A real piece of junk and the last one on the shelf (their ordering skills are terrible.) I can't fall asleep or get out of bed without some heat on my back, and my last one lasted all of 6 months. It worked that night. I found it curious that the plug, despite having one of those protective packing caps on it, was bent. In the morning, it wouldn't turn on. That's when I noticed two tight knots tied into one of the strings on the cover. Nice, I wonder what skin diseases the previous owner of this sold-as-new item may have passed to me. Thanks Walmart!

Today was my daughter's 1st birthday. After our at-home celebration, we decided to go to Toys R Us and get her a few things with her " bday money " and get our almost 3yo son something for being such a good boy while she got the book of the attention (and presents.) He picked a toy stand mixer, which is great because he always wants to play with our Kitchenaid one. It works on "Try Me" mode, but the full functions don't. That's when I noticed it's dirty, and the screw for the battery compartment is mangled like the previous owner couldn't be arsed to find a proper screwdriver to open it - also meaning they used it enough to need to replace the batteries -!- before repacking it and returning it.

Walmart, Toys R Us, Home Depot, etc... If you're going to sell overpriced garbage (which, for the most part, is everything you sell), at least check your returns before putting them back on the shelf, send them back, or THROW THEM AWAY! I'm so sick of it!

To top it off, I lost the Walmart receipt, so at BEST, I'll get store credit. I'll probably use it to buy something they can't screw up, or fide their criminal activities of selling used junk as new, like rolls of tape. My wife's birthday is tomorrow. I'll spend part of the morning going to a different Toys R Us, as my son loves the toy, so we want to replace it right away. They won't pay me the $8 for the extra drive required because of my being the victim of their scam. They won't give me the time back, nor reimburse me.

Both will, however, be the newest additions to my boycott list. The earliest I will purchase anything from either store again, will be 3/28/2020.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   
I feel your pain! Good rant

Parts missing, damaged and resold...Bunk business practice there.

If it has packaging tape resealing the box...Run

I have finagled a few 50% or more off of open items. They don't want to pay to ship it back, so usually cave

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
When I saw the thread title, even before clicking the link to get here, I thought "HMMM Must be Walmart". Sure enough, I was right. I absolutely loathe that place. The clothes are no good. I had a pair of jeans that had a hole in the pocket when I bought them. Others I'd gotten there were labeled in my size but were actually a couple sizes larger. I also bought boots there, only to have them fall apart a month later. The place is a hell hole.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:16 PM
link   
It's been that way for a while. Even if it isn't a return, the products are getting so cheap they suck. It doesn't matter if you buy a good one or a cheap one nowadays. They are all designed to break down. I suppose they are putting them back on the shelves in these stores when people bring them back as defective, not actually checking them out well.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Maybe it's a market strategy to have people return to the store, then offer them a "good" service on the switch of product, and on the way out, people spend a little more money on a "grab and go" buy.

Win win for the store...

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:30 PM
link   
It's amazing...

All it took was cheap labor and a total disregard for quality to achieve #1 on Fortune's top 10 list.

Go figure.

America, home of the slaves.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

My hubby used to work at hell mart. Whenever they got returns, they would just repackage them (poorly) and put them right back on the shelves. They never checked the item. And they took anything as returns, no matter what condition, including worn stained underwear.

Wal Mart is evil.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
For extra kicks and giggles, while shopping, ask hem point blank if the merchandise is new or "like-new". Most of the time they will hem or haw. If they claim it's new, and it's not, well, let's just say i thoroughly enjoyed the gft card and the Home Office thoroughly enjoyed my letter. Yeah, I'm that guy.

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Ah, thank you all for your replies so far! I feel a bit better than with just my wife and I sharing our irritated stories of crappy store angst with each other! Walmart is definitely the worst, but not the only culprit by far!

We were starting to feel like we were somehow insanely unlucky when it comes to this. It must just be THAT common. FF's sakes! It's gotten to where I look like a crazy person inspecting items as I pick them up. Aaahhh!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

Well I know that the Waltons are on the board there,but so is Hillary Clinton,so you better expect to get screwed over.When she isn't deleting emails with a no return policy,she is taking back people's items and throwing them back on the shelves.LOL

posted on Mar, 28 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

What about Jeb 'I'm my OWN Nazi!" Bush's emails? You know, both of them?

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I've never had that issue with TRU, but JunkMart back in the day before we quit shoveling our money their way? Yeah, several times. Between the crappy way they treat employees, and the crappy quality of the crap they sell, it wasn't worth the trip any more.

That said, I've been in some great Family Dollars & Dollar Generals that have pretty good stuff, and in some with deplorable quality trash disguised as merchandise. You generally get what you pay for, and if you pay cheap -- expect it in return.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Heck, they sell things labeled as new that aren't even complete! My husband picked up some socks for the girls there, bright stuff such as they like, two packs, supposedly six pairs each. One pack, Held together by the little plastic stuff, had five pairs, and the other, six single socks. Not mated, either. Clearly, some employee took these socks and re-connected them, and then had the nerve to sell them labeled as "six pairs" each! There is VERY little we purchase there. Groceries, there are other options. Things like socks are on the short list, and with this latest fiasco, it's a sure thing I will count every single package before bringing it home. Anything that looks even possible to have been opened, refolded, whatever, will stay in the store.

I'd throw a huge fit over something like the heating pad!! That can't be legal.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Heck, they sell things labeled as new that aren't even complete! My husband picked up some socks for the girls there, bright stuff such as they like, two packs, supposedly six pairs each. One pack, Held together by the little plastic stuff, had five pairs, and the other, six single socks. Not mated, either. Clearly, some employee took these socks and re-connected them, and then had the nerve to sell them labeled as "six pairs" each! There is VERY little we purchase there. Groceries, there are other options. Things like socks are on the short list, and with this latest fiasco, it's a sure thing I will count every single package before bringing it home. Anything that looks even possible to have been opened, refolded, whatever, will stay in the store.

It probably isn't; however there are no funds for regulators to check up on retailers compliance. Austerity baby - is Walmart's friend.

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Sometimes on certain purchases I insidt on a new one from the back that hasn't been touched. If one isn't abailable I ask for a discount, it works in some stores.

I'm sick of the charging cords not working. I bought two at London drugs store in canada and even said don't sell me a piece of crap. Sure enough I got a piece of crap. The first one lasted one day then it wouldn't charge "sorry but you must return it in the original packaging". Why would I keep a plastic bag?!! they didn't refund me on either of them. The other solution they offered on the other cord was to "tape it". Why do I want tape on my cords?? They've been added to my boycott list.

Walmart I notice isnt very picky at checking on returns to see if it's damaged or used.
edit on 29-3-2015 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   
not only do they sell chinese junk but sell returns?

The Source is pretty bad for that as well. The source actually repackages things that are brought in if they still work.... Just tape the box or restaple it ect.

Dont buy anything that has a stapled packaged lol

And the source tries to sell display computers all the time at full price.
Both those companies are pretty ruthless. Also, Who wants to be pestered to buy a 0 dollar phone? I'm sure you do sir, or you do if you're chosing to shop at the source! Or wonder down the wrong ile at Londer drugs. Idoly standing by the Camera section...

posted on Mar, 29 2015 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My kids had that cord problem at Walmart. I swear I was buying or returning cords like crazy. I'll tell you how I resolved that. MY phone is under warrenty so I started calling and saying I need a new cord. I really did, my kids are such whiners.
edit on 29-3-2015 by Iamthatbish because: predict a text totally winning

posted on Apr, 7 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes
*snip*

It probably isn't; however there are no funds for regulators to check up on retailers compliance. Austerity baby - is Walmart's friend.

You aren't wrong there! Add to that all the money they toss at local governments, and you haven't a prayer! It's always about the money.

top topics

join