It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS/BTS is functioning in low-impact/low-bandwidth mode

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Due to high server load, ATS/BTS is functioning in low-impact/low-bandwidth mode. Some features may be disabled.

Sure, most of us have seen that. But when you're changing your sig, or your avatar, and you see that, it makes you want to scream at not being able to find out if there are any mistakes. (Ok, maybe that was just me...
)

But anyway, we need a system that only allows the low-impact & low-bandwidth mode to be turned on for new users, and users that haven't contributed much (that have less 25 posts or something) each time there is a high server load. That way, us experienced and contributing members can enjoy all the features of ATS.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Its not usually on for that long. I think you can wait a few hours without your avatar.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I can't wait for anything...

I'm going insane over the fact that Christmas is 5 days away!

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Experienced users...ha....lol....maybe u should save up ur points then to show the world how experienced u really are.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:38 PM
link   
1. I registered almost a month before you.

2. I have made tons of more posts than you. The gray bar underneath the points grows with number of posts.

3. I only spent my points to upload pics for my sig.

4. If you use good grammer in your posts, you will sound more experienced.

I ask of you not to insult me like that again.

Edit: I found that you only have 86 posts, while I have 431. Check the profile.

[edit on 12/19/04 by diehard_democrat]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Both of you are acting childish. Post number, registration date, and points dont me crap towards how experienced and contributing you are. Somebody could have registered last week, have a few posts as well as points and have every post be meaningful and full of facts and opinions. Likewise, a member could be around for 2 years, have tons of posts aswell as points and all his posts could be crap, not meaning anything.

If you think post number is an actual value of how contributing and experienced somebody is then you have not learned a single thing.

As for grammAr, most people dont care about it as long as its readable and gets the point across.

.02$

[edit on 19-12-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

The topic was about the server load,
What exactly is the band width usage of the server during these High usage times? Is the server a single server or a cluster system?

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Notme
Is the server a single server or a cluster system?

Right now its a single server. But SO said we're soon making the move to a dual server system. 2 of the type of server we currently have. So, we'll have 4 Xeon Processors. Honkin system.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Does your (ATS) provider also double your band width usage limits with the second server? Perhaps a border caching server could help (at least with serving up graphics and static elements).

I often notice unusual delays calling up page threads, I never know if it's my connection or the ATS server bogging down.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
We're currently averaging about 25 gigabytes per day of bandwidth. But the primary issue is not "bandwidth" out of the server, but the load on the database when things are busy. We often have more than 800 concurrent users (members + guests) at any given time, with spikes of up to 1,200 (and more) during our daily peaks. I've developed some code that throttles-back much of the database load when the server gets bogged down. This temporarily speeds up the entire board for everyone (with a bit fewer services), so that we can continue to serve content. We've contracted with a professional consulting firm who is monitoring our server performance to then design an optimum multi-server installation. We should be moving to a new hardware set-up in about 3-4 weeks.

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Great, sounds like a plan. SkepticOverlord, I guess you are close to the system, is there a FAQ or something describing the whole ATS architecture/layout?
It all sound interesting to me. Is the whole system coded in PHP?

[edit on 12/19/2004 by Notme]

top topics

join