It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fort Wainright under investigation for "Racial Thursdays"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Thursd ay was the day of the week when you were allowed to hurl any racial slur you wanted, at anyone you wanted, without consequence. Private committed suicide after weeks of racial slurs and abuse.

An investigation has been launched after an Army platoon was accused of racially abusing its own soldiers in an event known as 'Racial Thursdays'.

The sickening tradition allegedly has been taking place among soldiers in the 2nd Platoon, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 21st Infantry Regiment at Fort Wainwright, Alaska.

The Army Times first reported on the racist behavior after several soldiers, who wished to remain anonymous, came forward.

One staff sergeant, who is black, told the newspaper this week: 'When I first got to my unit, someone said we should do ''Racial Thursdays'' because it's been a tradition.

NBC News

The soldiers told the Army Times that the practice was considered a "tradition" and that although it was forbidden it still goes on. The Army Times reported that the platoon allegedly involved is part of a unit that is part of the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division.

Chinese-American Danny Chen was also assigned to the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division before he apparently committed suicide while deployed with that unit in Afghanistan in 2011, the military has said. Chen's family has said he was subjected to hazing and abuse by other soldiers, NBC New York reported.

They claim this is NO way related to Chen and that they have all new leadership since then. Now being a military brat, it takes a while for a change over. I'm sure there's still at least one or two, maybe even three leaders of the past still there, that the military doesn't consider an "issue" and might keep on for good, or are deciding to still change over, who's to say. But it wouldn't surprise me to find a few still there lagging waiting for their orders 3 years later.

Now whether one of those higher ups is responsible for this "Racial Thursday" farce, or a low man on the totem pole and a leader went along with it, again, who's to say. Either way, it's sickening. How degrading to be at work, with people you think are your peers and they are just calling you name after name after name after name. Some I just posted the article, because I categorically refuse to even type the word, they're so disgusting! I won't dignify them! I used to hear them come out of my ex's mouth and they were just as foul then, and I would rant then when I heard them. I can't stand racism. I don't care who says it.

edit on 3/21/2015 by Anyafaj because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Mar 21 2015 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
While I certainly don't doubt this happened, my only concern is the primary article is from the Daily Mail - definitely not the best source. Beyond that, I sort of hope there will courts martial all 'round.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke
While I certainly don't doubt this happened, my only concern is the primary article is from the Daily Mail - definitely not the best source. Beyond that, I sort of hope there will courts martial all 'round.

I posted an NBC link, and Army Times link for those not happy with Daily Mail.

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   
WTF is going on at Ft. Wainright?

I would NEVER tolerate this kind of crap going on in my unit. I wouldn't be anonymous about it either.

If my NCOs tolerated this crap, and my soldiers participated in it the unit would run out of paper in counseling statements, article 15s, and GOMORs.

We would need a whole battalion's worth of new soldiers and leadership because I would put everything on hold to ensure these POSs were kicked out of my army.
edit on pSat, 21 Mar 2015 10:06:03 -0500201521America/Chicago2015-03-21T10:06:03-05:0031vx3 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ironhawke

There won't be.

These people will receive article 15s and likely be chaptered out. The army won't waste time with paperwork like that. If they have any serious leadership there at all the ranks will likely be thinned out.

new topics

top topics

join