It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Nature’s revenge’: Huge sinkholes burst open on banks of Dead Sea as water dries up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
More sinkholes! Now around the Dead Sea and affecting Israel, Palestine, and Jordan. Only this time the holes are definitely caused by man according to the article.

Environmentalists say mismanagement of water resources around the Dead Sea has produced more than 3,000 sinkholes.

The saline lake — bordered by Jordan, Israel and the West Bank — is evaporating at nearly four feet per year, which leaves behind the salt pockets responsible for the dangerous sinkholes

In 2005, Smithsonian magazine said that roughly 1,000 sinkholes had been reported. The new 3,000-plus figure indicates that they have been appearing at an accelerated rate in recent years.

Maybe it is as simple as mis management of water resources but this whole sink-hole fiasco is starting to creep me out. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Hm, maybe they're not so chosen after all.

I would expect us to start getting these in the US soon.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   
So the ones claiming to have turned a desert into an oasis are about to turn an oasis into a desert...

/sarc

I meant

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Respect to all
Forgive my ignorance but are there any counter measures for something of this magnitude? ?

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Corporations in the U.S. are already selling freshwater from lakes around the country overseas.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
The Jordan River should feed the Dead Sea but due to irrigation and other water use, the flow into the Dead Sea has been about 0 for some time.

Remedial work is under way and water is to be fed from the Red Sea. Of course this too is for man. The water from the Red Sea will first be used to extract drinking water and the resultant brine will then feed into the Dead Sea. As well, the huge drop in altitude will allow a hydro electric plant to generate electricity.

This is supposed to start by 2017.

The Dead Sea is around 390m below sea level so there is a lot of hydro-electric potential in this undertaking.

P

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Hm, maybe they're not so chosen after all.

I would expect us to start getting these in the US soon.

Why would you expect that? Where?

How many active Salt Lakes do we have in the United States besides in Utah? Do you have evidence of this watershed being mismanaged?

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 01:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

There's Salton Sea south of us here in Apple Valley Ca.

Pretty much an ecological disaster.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Probably due to Leviathon oil.

revolution-news.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Two thousands sinkholes since 2005?
Thats sounds a crazy amount-although the dead sea has been drying up,so maybe its related to that.

I guess if the surface water is dissapearing that may mean a lot of underground water is also dissapearing,leaving unstable areas underground which it turn leads to sinholes forming on the surface..

Start stockpiling that salt folks-I bet the price will skyrocket when the dead sea finally dries up completley.

Aren't there some ancient structures on the seabed-I hope they don't collapse into sinkholes.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Once again human stupidity on a grand scale has altered the natural landscape for the worse. Hopefully, in a hundred years, the human race will look back in horror at their not-too-bright ancestors.

posted on Mar, 20 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

If the dead sea dries up, the salt will be cheaper because it will become more easily accessible......

The salt gets left behind when the water evaporates.

new topics

top topics

join