It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carbon3D CLIP Technology Grows Parts in 3D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Sources: Article www.core77.com...

Company Website: carbon3d.com...

Snippet from Article:

Company Unveils Radical, Layerless 3D Printing Technology "25 to 100 Times Faster" Than Standard 3D Printing It looks more like "growing" a part than printing one By Rain Noe - Mar 18

This is a remarkable technology that kind of snuck up on us. I pay attention to this technology sector but did not see this coming. The speed and quality of the rendered parts are both astonishing features. It looks like a SciFi movie prop.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I was looking at this the other day. The clip is sped up 7x but even still it's getting pretty damn close to magic

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

That is cool. I want one. My buddy and I need minis for RPG games that we run. That would be very useful. All we'd have to do is make some and then paint them. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Mar, 18 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I know right. I have printed that object. My printer took hours to print it out. There is little comparison to standard 3d printing and this technology.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Skid Mark

If you have ever printed a complex object like this you are likely also noticing there is no scaffolding being printed so that saves a lot of print time and of course a lot less work after printing removing the scaffolding from the 3d part. Awesome

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:02 AM
link   
This is quite remarkable. I'm going to have to look into this a bit more. Thanks for sharing!
s&f

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   

I noticed that. It looks like it's being grown. Very awesome.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Skid Mark

That is cool. I want one. My buddy and I need minis for RPG games that we run. That would be very useful. All we'd have to do is make some and then paint them. Thanks for sharing.

Have you seen the website shapeways.com? You can upload standard geometry files (say from Blender), and then sell the printed copies or buy them yourself. All sorts of materials from metals to multi-colored plastic.

posted on Mar, 19 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
This is really neat. I wonder how material strength compares to existing processes? Speed and resolution are really good vs. existing processes from what they show at their site. It looks like there's some limit on scale with the existing design due to how far the UV light can penetrate into the liquid (which obviously has a dye in it to limit the photo-reaction to the surface), but I suspect it would be scalable to a larger size if they can come up with a way to seamlessly tile some galvo-mirrors in an array under a bigger window .

I'm a bit interested in this topic, as I do 3D modeling as a hobby and 3D printing is closely related. Problem is I'm too short on cash to run my own proofs to ensure good quality (3D printing is quite expensive), yet I'm still willing to do modeling for 3D prints if anyone wants to take some risk with the roughs. (PM if you want.) I also have some ideas on what I think may be a viable home-brew way to do 3D prints with some metals, but I suppose that's another topic.
edit on 19-3-2015 by pauljs75 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join