It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terminator Robots Soon? Scientists Develop New Shape Shifting Liquid Metal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
T1k is coming, and its made in china

Scientists have taken an important step in the journey towards T-1000 style liquid metal robots.

A research team from Tsinghua University in Beijing has developed a simple self-powered liquid motor.

This liquid "machine" is created from a metal alloy - mostly gallium with some tin and indium - that is liquid at 30C. When it's put into a caustic soda or regular salt water solution it can move around for about an hour - using a flake of aluminium for fuel.

In related research, the same team has been able to get the gallium alloy to form complex shapes when an electrical current is applied. By combining this technique with the new research, the team could create a moving drop that could change speed or even move in a swarm with other drops.

The near-term plan is for non-rigid robots that could deliver materials through pipes or even blood vessels.

Next stop: the inevitable liquid robot uprising

A real-life T-1000? Liquid metal motor paves the way for shape-shifting robots

I don't think there will be t1000s around in the near future, but ill sure want some high tech drain unclogging liquid motors myself

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Indigent

I am speechless. Thanks for posting this and the video.

I know there things in our future that will be absolutely amazing. I think this is one if them.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Relevant ATS Thread
Scientists Have Created Shape Shifting Metal

edit on 15-3-2015 by gmoneystunt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Yep that's the shape shifting part at the end of the video, the motor part was published march 3 2015

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Terminator Robots Soon? Apparently its all in the CPU regarding Terminators so shape shifting liquid metal aside, which is dam impressive, i think we may be safe for the time being.

edit on 15-3-2015 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
The creators must not know of T2. Someone please send them a copy.

I had this idea about two decades ago but then the movie deterred me. Thankfully.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   
can it shift into aviators? I'll only accept this as a step forward when it can become a cool set of sunglasses, hmmph!
JK

This is actually pretty cool and clever.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Mimetic polyalloy... sounds so cute when an Austrian says it.

Bring it.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
They've not given us Terminator 1 yet so saying they are going to give us a T1000 is a vast stretch of the imagination.

posted on Mar, 15 2015 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

We just don't know about the 850's models yet bro.

new topics

top topics

join