It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gmo Weed and Marijuana Legalization

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Good day every one on ATS. After reading a recent post on ATS on the benefits of the cannabis plant, and after having a rather heated debate today with one of my life long friends about this subject, I felt compelled to create this thread today.

Legalization of Cannabis is right around the corner in the United States. However, what isn't heavily reported on is that Monsanto has a huge stake in this multi billion dollar industry.

"U.S. corporation Monsanto plans to launch production of genetically modified marijuana, and companies such as Drug Policy Alliance y Open Society Foundation are going to create our own brand, which will be produced under cannabis, information portal La Red 21. Organization of Open Society Foundation is under the control of the shareholder Monsanto, billionaire George Soros. Company Drug Policy Alliance y Open Society Foundation, funded by Monsanto will be responsible for market development of transgenic seeds of marijuana, particularly in Uruguay. Uruguay – the first country in the world to officially legalize the production and sale of marijuana. Initiator of the law was the leadership of the State, headed by President Jose Mujica. There are many reasons why Monsanto and other companies producing GMOs would like to learn a new product. Marijuana may be the next major GMO crop. First of all, the company plans to produce GMO manipulate so-called “medical marijuana”. If pharmacists join with GMO companies, pharmaceutical mafia can create transgenic strains with the ability to produce more active compounds which are patented and can be implemented as a medicine. Businessman said that the initial funding for the project is $ 10 million to start the company’s products will be distributed only in two U.S. states, but at the request of Shively: “We will seek to ensure that in our hands was 40% of cannabis in the world.”
(source)

So.. The same guys who created Agent Orange now want to control 40% of the WORLDS marijuana suppy? Pretty disturbing stuff to say the least.

Could it be a coincidence that now that Monsanto is currently involved in this multi billion dollar industry that 4 states have completely legalized marijuana for recreational use and more will likely follow?

I think not.

What's more, I wouldn't be surprised if in 10 years pots completely legal, and through media and movies and music, TPTB push weed down out throats to get us smoking their gmo weed. Some may say this is already happening. Could this be another form of population control, to dumb us down and keep us ignorant while we slowly kill our selves consuming gmo weed? Maybe that's a little out side the box for most, but I wouldn't rule it completely considering they did it to our food supply. Their is even evidence saying that GMO MJ has been made by introducing an agrobacterium to make it more resistant to diseases and pests and to increase production.
It is believed that this agrobacterium has come to jump species and is now causing disturbing disease in humans. Anyone getting strange skin lesions that never heal should consider the fact that their MJ is GMO.
(Source)

This truly saddens me, because although I don't smoke marijuana, I know it truly is an amazing plant in its organic form that not only can cure all kinds of illness and disease and is also a superfood if eaten raw. People will think their consuming marijuana but instead will be given gmo weed. Do you guys really trust Monsanto enough to be consuming ANYTHING they develop? I sure as hell don't. There a biotech company for christ sake, and have even been regarded as the worlds most evil company for their track record. Click

Anyways, just felt like this sharing information as I feel its important and needs to get out there because the fact of the matter is, there is a good chance that gmo weed is coming to a dispensary near you! Or it's already there. Stay informed, go organic , and spread the message!

More sources
farmwars.info...

www.chicagonow.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
When marijuana is fully legalized and produced people will look to the activists for which brand to purchase. Bill Maher, Willie Nelson, others like them and grassroots activists would have the Stamp-of-Approval over the competing brands. I' don't think big ag and big pharma will be winning many cannabis cups.
edit on 13-3-2015 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Aleister
Those guys are not immune from selling out though.
I get what you are saying though.

When it gets to that point, people should just grow it. Not extremely hard once you get some harvests under your belt.
Or buy from local growers that you know and trust.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I actually have a strain called Agent Orange. lol
Its a weed, super easy to grow, I think people will just grow it themselves, and share it freely like I do.
The super strains available today will knock you on your arse, so I dont get why they would need to GMO it. You dont need to buy seeds year after year, you can just cut a piece off and stick it in some Happy Frog and your good to go.
edit on 13-3-2015 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
It's all genetically modified. If Monsanto can develop a strain that is easier to grow on an industrial scale without having to fight against all the other unwanted weeds, and deliver it at a competitive market price, then that is the American way.

Legalization will certainly increase the number of growers, but just like with home gardens, sometimes it's just going to be easier and cheaper and you're going to get a higher quality product if you buy it at the store than if you grow it yourself.

edit on 13-3-2015 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: sekerofknowlegeCasual growers have been goofing with plant dynamics for a long time. Colchicine has been used to increase potency by creating polyploidal plants...sounds pretty close to GMO to me.
So I've been told.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

I grow my own Vegies too, and would argue that the quality is much better home grown.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: misskat1
I grow my own Vegies too, and would argue that the quality is much better home grown.

I would say that is sometimes the case. The corn I grow in my garden will likely never be as big and good and cheap as what I get from the store. But that's big produce. It's not a weed that I would consume in very small dried and stored quantities over a relatively long period of time.

So maybe it would be like what you would grow in an herb garden. Or possibly the equivalent of making your own wine. There is also the matter of only growing a few strains, when you can go to a dispensary and choose from dozens.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

A lot of folks cant grow their own, due to apartment dwelling etc. So, there will be room for big business. And there is such a variety of strains, in flavor, and even the type of high. I have physical issues and honestly I make the CBD tinctures, at almost 60 yrs old, I need all the brain functioning power I still have. If I smoke it, its usually at night to fall asleep. MJ has to have high temp to decarboloxiate (I think thats right), so as long as you cook it on low temps it doesnt get you high, but it releases the CBDs.
My corn is never as big and beautiful either, but boy is is fresher and sweeter.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: sekerofknowlege

Reserving judgement but if Monsanto is in this business, everyone needs to stay sharp.
I'll ad lib a PR talking point just for fun. Maybe I could infiltrate club shill?

"Truthers, anti-vaxxers and sciencephobes.... LOL. If you are not willing to give up your cell phone, why do you ruin it for everyone else by whining endlessly about GMO's? I wish the aliens would just abduct you all and save the rest of us. Please recycle the tin foil on the way out"

How'd I do?
edit on 13-3-2015 by InverseLookingGlass because: you can find me at shillingforunworthyhumans.com

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
It's all genetically modified. If Monsanto can develop a strain that is easier to grow on an industrial scale without having to fight against all the other unwanted weeds, and deliver it at a competitive market price, then that is the American way.

Legalization will certainly increase the number of growers, but just like with home gardens, sometimes it's just going to be easier and cheaper and you're going to get a higher quality product if you buy it at the store than if you grow it yourself.

Hybridization is totally different than what GMO does. Just in case you don't know, GMO's mix genetic material from different Genus of organism, for instance, bacteria and plant. So there you go...You learned something today that would have prevented your first sentence.

The extracts from cannabis is approaching 100% THC. On the surface, a pure molecular solid wouldn't be any different from GMO. The THC yield is where the value add is. If it's not THC the molecule, I believe it is essentially a banned designer drug. Again, I need to keep watching this one.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

I actually have a strain called Agent Orange. lol
Its a weed, super easy to grow, I think people will just grow it themselves, and share it freely like I do.
The super strains available today will knock you on your arse, so I dont get why they would need to GMO it. You dont need to buy seeds year after year, you can just cut a piece off and stick it in some Happy Frog and your good to go.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
a reply to: sekerofknowlege

Sorry to any Pro-GMO folks but as I was reading that I just found a good reason to stop....uh.....er..... slow down/cut back. If I don't eat their food, I won't need their Rx medicine. If I don't burn their 'fun medicine' maybe I won't need a diaper/hearing aid/artificial hip or???

This bunked/bunks My 'high' ergo, Now what?

Boo!

Keep it Natural!

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
When marijuana is fully legalized and produced people will look to the activists for which brand to purchase. Bill Maher, Willie Nelson, others like them and grassroots activists would have the Stamp-of-Approval over the competing brands. I' don't think big ag and big pharma will be winning many cannabis cups.

Are you kidding? They will simply call Maher and Nelson hick weed promoters and the small producers the same as moonshiners. LOL Growers have been growing weed in West Virginia for years "up there where that green grass grows". Does anyone believe those boys will stop growing or start paying tax?

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

Maybe. But I will tell you if you have never had good moonshine that if you did you would never go to the state store again.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Large quantity grows will never yield the same quality experienced home growers can produce.

The problem is in the curing process. Anyone can get the super strains. The advantage comes in the small scale gardeners ability to keep a closer eye on the growth structure. When curing mass quantity of the same strain, you almost have to automate the picking process, this breaks off all the trichromes, reducing the quality. You don't get this via hand picked, straight to jar small qtys.

Massive ops, will probably cut corners on nutes and micro nutes due to profit margins and typical "do it as cheap as possible" mentality.

The only advantage I can see to the hellsanto gmo angle would be their ability to spread and take over like their crop market strategy with corn and beans now.

There is already a million and one strains with different characteristics, so they wont add any value there.
The sticky-icky trichromes are actually the plants natural adaptation as bug repellant.

posted on Mar, 13 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

You are right the box blade trimming method just sucks the kief right off the plant. Not to mention you have to keep an eye on mold. Its going to be safer and better quality buying from a neighbor. The only pests Ive encountered is, spider mites, cut worms, and those horrid little flys. But out door its only the cut worms and mold.

I live in N. Cal, and Ive always wondered why the DEA doesnt just throw out handfuls of MJ seeds to grow wild by the rivers. One male could ruin a huge area of crops. No one wants seedy weed. They could easily make it not worth the illegal gigantic gorilla grows. Of course that would eliminate a huge amount of Govt jobs and greatly reduce the costs for the tax payers.

It grows wild back east. And if the rules and regulations change, it might become a great cottage industry. There is so much you can make out of the plant itself.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 12:21 AM
link   

a reply to: Mandroid7

You are right the box blade trimming method just sucks the kief right off the plant. Not to mention you have to keep an eye on mold. Its going to be safer and better quality buying from a neighbor. The only pests Ive encountered is, spider mites, cut worms, and those horrid little flys. But out door its only the cut worms and mold.

I live in N. Cal, and Ive always wondered why the DEA doesnt just throw out handfuls of MJ seeds to grow wild by the rivers. One male could ruin a huge area of crops. No one wants seedy weed. They could easily make it not worth the illegal gigantic gorilla grows. Of course that would eliminate a huge amount of Govt jobs and greatly reduce the costs for the tax payers.

It grows wild back east. And if the rules and regulations change, it might become a great cottage industry. There is so much you can make out of the plant itself.

Yeah, mites are a nuisance. There is a ton of home remedies for em' i believe garlic, cayenne and soap, if I remember right. The soap helps the elixir pass through the plants hairs and the bugs skin. They won't eat the spicy pepper from the rest. I haven't seen any treatments for worms w/o looking, but yellow flypaper works great for the gnats that lay eggs in the soil. I would avoid all that stuff with a hepa intake filter to the room and minimal in and out with contaminated clothes on. West coast is awesome for outdoors, the closer to the shore the better. prevailing winds and all.

Where I'm from the season is too short, because the male pollen count gets massive.

You are right about the tumbler. Bad idea. The part that helps medicinal users is very fragile. All in the ends, like little glass mushrooms
these are starting to amber and reach max potency.

Disclosure...I don't condone growing bud where it is illegal. If you are in a legal state, go for it, it should be free, but the charges some states will put against you, make it not worth it one bit. Its not the 5 year sentence and the 30,000 in lawyer fees And fines that sucks, as bad as the permanent record and unemployability via a felony status bs.

Good luck with Monsanto trying to enter this market..lmao
The hippies will avoid them like the plague

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
From a worms eye view, if you're a recreational user and not a grower, how and where it's grown on the streets is dubious enough.

Now that Monsanto wants their finger in the pie, its going to muddy the waters on quality control. My biggest fear is peoples brains being genetically modified.

posted on Mar, 14 2015 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: InverseLookingGlass
Hybridization is totally different than what GMO does. Just in case you don't know, GMO's mix genetic material from different Genus of organism, for instance, bacteria and plant. So there you go...You learned something today that would have prevented your first sentence.

I understand the difference between hybridization and gene manipulation. They're just different ways to attain the same goal -- stronger, bigger plants that have the qualities you want, like weed and drought resistance while still giving you the chemical balance you need.

The question is, do you understand the dynamics of gene manipulation the way Monsanto does it enough to realize that it's not creating any poison plants or monsters or anything that is going to make you grow two heads if you consume it? Are you scared of hypotheticals? You seem to be implying that something bad has or is going to happen with this gene editing. Oooh... scary!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join