It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Japan Amend Their Constitution To Fight Overseas Wars.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Got through looking at this Vice clip, for a number of years now rightest elements in Japan have been pushing for a change in the country's constitution that bans overseas wars, they argue that Japan have the right to play a part in international peace keeping and security like any other grown-up nation,ex some would love to have their boots on the ground killing ISIS members especially in response to the decapitation of two of their citizens last month, but felt hobbled by their constitution and there is the rest especially the left and a majority who are extremely pacifist in nature, in discussion with friends and family members I can't find one who thinks it's a good idea, they believe the lessons from the past 60 odd yrs have been learnt and should not be unlearned..Senso Iiranaii!!
But do the rightest and Abe the prime minister have a point, should they be able to kick ass when ever where ever,and how much of a boon would that be to the U.S own security needs, then again much of Asia still have that bitter taste in their mouth from 60yrs ago not lest of all China the power house and allies South Korea and the Philippines. TBH I have mixed feelings..what sayz U.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

I always figured the Japenese were working on a robot army and that's why they didn't really complain about not being allowed to have a standing army. Laugh all you want, but if anybody could do it, it's them lol

I'll have to watch that video a little later, but looking forward to it.

~Tenth

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 06:56 AM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

They have...space robots also.

Back to the OP I think the Japanese have the right to help their allies in which ever war they feel is right.
But it is up to them the their people.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:22 AM
link   
It is only a matter of time. Japan has been sliding this way for awhile. It has its first overseas base in Djibouti used for anti piracy patrols and has been building small aircraft carriers calling them Helicopter Desroyers. Japan in is also moving into the arms market and was instrumental in the new Trilateral grouping of Japan/US/India. All these actions have been caused by China's actions in the South China Sea. Both at home and among Japan's neighbors fear of a growing Chinese threat has over powered the fear of Japan's return as a global military power.

Is it a good thing? Well for now it is, at least in the interest of the US. The new US/Japan/India power base backed by ASEAN and ANZUS is huge counter to China and any hope of dominating that part of the world. The down side could be that China decides that they are not going be the dominate military power in a region united against them and cut military expansion and modernization. This could also be caused by the decrease in economic growth that has hit China. Without a common Chinese threat all these growing Pacific powers would no longer have a common cause to united against. And in that mix a Japanese military power could be very good or very bad.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I wouldn't do it. Just think of all the lives they've saved by not getting involved in any conflicts and wars over all these years. I can understand why they would want revenge for the 2 citizens that were killed at the hands of ISIS. But there's enough of the international community that will end up doing it for them.

Every country should have a constitution that prevents them to wage war, except when their homeland is directly invaded. The UN peace keeping force should be responsible for terrorist organizations and invading troops. If the UN force followed strict rules of engagement and were not influenced by any country including the United States, maybe countries would have more money to spend on its citizens rather than their military.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
it's not something they should be allowed to change. they will not even admit to the many war crimes they committed, forget being sorry for them. if they can't admit to their past errors, how can they be trusted not to do it all over again?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: WeRpeons

Both Mr Spad and you made excellent but opposing views, I am a peace nic at heart but a warrior if needs be, but at the same time no matter what Abe wants the vast majority of the people is firmly against this, I don't even think that most people knew of the Bases in Djibouti or pretend helo carriers and I feel bad for them, they just wanna be like Sweden no entanglements in overseas wars, the gray haired remember the pain their mom and pops went through and the young thinks it's absolutely un-kool to go off to fight and die in some far off place, there is no chest pumping for that sorta thing over here with exception of a few some of them powerful enough to have their way.
And Mr Spad they have a kick assed defense force we trained with them during what used to be called Westpac.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: generik
it's not something they should be allowed to change. they will not even admit to the many war crimes they committed, forget being sorry for them. if they can't admit to their past errors, how can they be trusted not to do it all over again?

Yet another thing to consider because the push is coming from the war hawks with links to the Yaks, and not only refusing to officially apologize but continue to pay homage to war criminals.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower

I always figured the Japenese were working on a robot army and that's why they didn't really complain about not being allowed to have a standing army. Laugh all you want, but if anybody could do it, it's them lol

I'll have to watch that video a little later, but looking forward to it.

~Tenth

They've already done it.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Of course they should. There is nothing wrong with the "Race" that is Japanese in terms of being war mongering than is wrong with the rest of humanity. The Japanese people of today are not responsible for the actions of their ancestors any more than white Americans living today are responsible for the genocide and slavery imposed on Native Indians and Africans in America's past by our ancestors.

Why is Germany allowed to have an offensive military? Cause they are white? Germany did much more damage to the world than Japan ever did. Japan and its people are our allies and we should support them in defending and participating in United Nations peace keeping efforts, defending against Chinese, North Korean potential aggression.

If anything we should let their people know we support them in having a military and that they have no "cross" to bear when it comes to the actions of their previous generations. All people should be judge by their own actions, not those of their ancestors.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

And if they do? What would you do?

Nuke them again?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

So you think the current living Japanese are responsible for the actions of their mostly now dead ancestors? I wonder if we went through your family tree what crimes you might be responsible for?

There are not likely many living people left in Japan government or even Japan in general that was old enough to speak and read when WW2 was going on...

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Actually, the ALLIES did much more damage than the Germans, take a look at the French city of Caen, bombed to buggery on Montgomery's insistence, all the German and Japanese cities burnt to the ground by Allied bombers in Europe, and American bombers in the Pacific. The Russians did their fair share too.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

So you think the current living Japanese are responsible for the actions of their mostly now dead ancestors? I wonder if we went through your family tree what crimes you might be responsible for?

There are not likely many living people left in Japan government or even Japan in general that was old enough to speak and read when WW2 was going on...

Aye but in this part of the world long term memories is the rule rather than the exception, I remember a trip I took to the Korean Imperial Palace , they had a sign that detailed the Japanese repeated invasion and sacking of the Palace going back to the 1500s and sacked right up to the early 20th century. we in the west especially Americans get confused as to who were our allies and who were our enemies during WWII and I am speaking of college age kids. they thought the Chinese and the Russians were our enemies and the Japanese and Germans were our friends...I am not kidding some college freshman actually said that.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Nuke them again?

hopefully it would not take that. but by nuking them it saved a lot more Japanese lives than if they had to be invaded. not to mention the lives of those that would have had to land. and don't forget they chose not to surrender after the first bomb. if they had of surrendered then how many more Japanese lives would have been saved? the Japanese killed raped, and tortured, far more civilians than were killed by those two bombs. not to mention their inhumane treatment of military POW's. the use of those bombs was more than justified.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Nuke them again?

hopefully it would not take that. but by nuking them it saved a lot more Japanese lives than if they had to be invaded. not to mention the lives of those that would have had to land. and don't forget they chose not to surrender after the first bomb. if they had of surrendered then how many more Japanese lives would have been saved? the Japanese killed raped, and tortured, far more civilians than were killed by those two bombs. not to mention their inhumane treatment of military POW's. the use of those bombs was more than justified.

Im not discussing or disputing what they did in the PAST.

Im talking about NOW.

If they as a Sovereign nations decide to change what you want the USA to do ?

would you honestly want the USA to start a war with one of its key allies in the east when you have real enemies out for your American blood?

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

It is a precarious situation.

But the decrease in the Chinese economical growth does not mean that their economy is not growing-it's just growing slower than expected. Compared the the economic growth in India the Chinese appear sluggish but more Chinese families are making the transition from lower class to middle class, and if you what you say is true China is either poised to become an economic superpower or a military superpower.

The subcontinent is what worries me-they could be the balance of power if push comes to shove.

top topics

join