It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Western Religion, Science and Evil?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kashai
Evolution presents that humans have survived mass extinctions for 250,000 years and in potential have done so. Because the more opportunistic of us, have the ability to survive even if not trained to survive in the wild.

It's not about the ability to survive. We had no course of action against a bacteria or virus, you can't fight it off with a pointy stick.

We have survived mass extinction so far through sheer numbers. Entire communities have been wiped out thousands of times in Human history, while the rest of Humanity has no idea. That's nothing to do with survival skill, that's to do with situation and probability.

Things have changed in modern times because we're so close together and so easily able to move from one continent to another. Previously, there might be ten outbreaks of a deadly disease in remote communities and it would wipe them out without others even knowing, now we have the same likelihood of outbreaks (perhaps a little less due to health systems and awareness) but with people able to transfer it thousands of miles.

A pandemic which might have wiped out a South American community of two thousand people in the 1700's can now plausibly travel around the world within weeks and infect millions of people.

There are other less likely forms of Extinction Event, of course, but surviving something that impacted millions of people would not likely be about survival skills, but chance, location, situation, common sense...

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 09:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: DenyTreason

originally posted by: Kashai
The Bible makes clear that Earth along wit the rest of he Universe was created about 8,000 years ago.

Evolution presents that humans have survived mass extinctions for 250,000 years and in potential have done so.

Any thoughts?

Yea, I have some thoughts...

...its 2015 now and anyone who uses their brains can clearly see that the bible is a bunch of nonsense.

Is it nonsense to conclude that human like life is precious?

edit on 7-3-2015 by Kashai because: Content edit

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Kashai

Honestly, there is a difference between believing that God set it all in motion and is responsible for it and believing in the literal creation account.

I believe the first, but I do not believe the second.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Gee, my world started in 1955 when I was born. It will be ending when I die. I don't know what the Hell you guys are going to do after I die. In my reality you will also cease to exist.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   

None any more, and his comments are no more ridiculous than some sitting Representatives who think that islands can tip over if overpopulated and that the Mars rover could be driven past the American flag the astronauts planted there.

I don't attribute his comments as much to fundamentalism as stupidity and there is plenty to go around in Washington.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

In retrospect, you're right about the genealogies. There is a case made with those too, but I always thought they were supposed to be less reliable because no one knew exactly how old any of the people in them lived. After all, you are talking way more than the normal length, but it was steadily decaying. You had old Methuselah who lived right around 1,000, but everyone else lived less than that.

So I'm not sure how the genealogies would work.

I've heard this verse quoted more recently, but it's also used to help calculate some of the prophetic calculations too relating to Daniel and his 70th Week. So I may be confusing the two.

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Thanks for the insight ketsuko, always good to learn!

posted on Mar, 7 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I once called 911 in Miami, Florida and was transferred to 911 in San Diego, California because a good friend of mine. Told me about a person that was involved in a religious retreat developed Appendicitis.

The reason for my call was that according to friend this person was about to die.

For the record the person died.

In my opinion it is unrealistic to think fundamentalism ideology permeates our society.

posted on Mar, 8 2015 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Don't be intimidated by the backlash. The Genesis account clearly says, again and again, that there was morning and evening and that it was a day. The people who compiled the Bible believed in a literal 24-hour day, as based on the sun's rise and set. The "age" of the Earth, as well, was compiled according to the genealogical information given in the Genesis account. Meaning that time was, as with other ancient cultures, reckoned by the sun and moon and roughly equivalent to our modern system.

As for evil: evil doesn't enter the world until the Hebraic faiths. Before the Jews invented a great enemy for their god to contend with "evil" was a subjective element of existence. A fox hunting a rabbit was no more evil than said rabbit eating a man's vegetable garden. The polarity of an action was based on the context in which it had occurred, not some arbitrary set of absolute morality.

Even today, beneath the veneer of "good" and "evil" this same subjectivity remains. Is the fox that kills the rabbit evil? Is the rabbit that eats your vegetables evil? Is the man who hunts and traps either of them evil? Or is everything dependent upon context?

~ Wandering Scribe

posted on Mar, 9 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Arent we using a tool of Satan called the internet which was made by science to spread the gospel of God?

God didn't do it, Satan did. And your wrong, 6000 years ago.
edit on 9-3-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join