It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon’s $55 billion mystery plane is secret, but debate on cost is appearing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 02:36 AM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

The closest it’s come to a public debut was a prime-time tease during a Super Bowl ad that showed its svelte outline veiled beneath a sheet, but revealed not a glimpse of the Pentagon’s most mysterious plane. Highly classified, the program is one of the Air Force’s top priorities — and its most expensive. The service estimates it will cost $55 billion to build as many as 100 of what it calls the Long Range Strike Bomber, which is designed to fly deep into enemy territory undetected until the mushroom cloud begins to bloom.

This has the potential to end up a multitrillion dollar boondoggle before it is ended. The article is clear that this is a boondoggle from the start covered in the iron dome of national security, and wrapped in the American flag. It will be impossible for the American electorate to even get to vote some oversight in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:00 AM
link   
a reply to: machineintelligence

**That was a very good link to follow up there in the OP.**

I have to agree that cost overruns are a given with any of these new programs. Seems to me, that the prime contractors have figured out if they come in low, they can get the initial approval for the program. I can't remember a single program being cancelled (early) that managed to get off the ground.

ETA: Well ... blow me down. It's right there in the article. The F-22 program was shut down. Hmmm

Maybe that's what the problem is.
edit on 632015 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 04:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Snarl

This is all we have seen so far:

Just this teaser but you can bet we will be paying on this new system for quite some time to come.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Wow. We don't know anything about it or how the contract is structured but it's already declared a boondoggle. Don't you think we should at least find out something about it before we declare it a POS?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Wow. We don't know anything about it or how the contract is structured but it's already declared a boondoggle. Don't you think we should at least find out something about it before we declare it a POS?

Thats the problem though.

No one can find out much about it.

There is keeping a few things secret then there is haveing a whole culture of secrecy that allows trillions spent with little oversight.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 05:19 AM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

There's currently nothing to tell. It's still in the RFP stage. They haven't selected a manufacturer or design yet. That won't happen until this summer. Once the choice is made and the flying development begins it will be a public program.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Why does the title say a "55 Billion dollar plane", yet the link says that's the price for 100 aircraft?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

There's currently nothing to tell. It's still in the RFP stage. They haven't selected a manufacturer or design yet. That won't happen until this summer. Once the choice is made and the flying development begins it will be a public program.

Thing is because of past cost overruns of other projects I can understand the mistrust of the American public when it comes to the big defense contractors and that you guys would want a set out plan and better budget oversight right from the beginning.

If I was a American living in a country which the worlds biggest economy yet can see my healthcare is the worst in developed world and education is sinking faster than lead in water and under 17 trillion debt I would be asking question at the US black budget and the huge amounts of money that is going to people like boeing and Lockheed. I get that the US needs to keep ahead of China and Russia. But there seems to be no balance or oversight and it looks from the outside that this big defense companies are taking the American taxpayer for a ride.
And a culture of secrecy does not help in that.
edit on 6-3-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

That whole business is merely another way that they are inching us into accepting and paying for fleets of exotic machines that move through the sky without using wings or jet thrust. We honest and attentive aviation fans call them "triangles."

Those aviation fans that don't acknowledge the existence of the triangles--which is completely counter-intuitive to their professed love of all things aircraft--are simply providing cover, intentionally or not. Some do so out of allegiance to the state, some can't allow themselves to think outside of the prescribed box, and some, probably, are paid to point away from the obvious truth many of us have seen moving in our skies about every day.

Whatever. The triangles are real and they cost big bunches of money that must come from somewhere out of the budgets for other, supposed and announced, craft and projects.

Clue: I'm still waiting for the replacement for the shuttle. Anybody see it lately?

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   
I doubt the thing under the sheet is the real thing (duh).

I'd guess a UAV with active denial and that new laser weapon that perforated a truck hood...maybe dual lasers.

I'm pondering having a kind of 'MIRV' type of UAV - one that can deploy a couple small platforms to give it cross-fire capabilities, or 'go down and shoot' and return to Mama.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
personally I think that commercial is a boondoggle.

From what I understand the new LRS-B "B3" is going to be something that will quickly shut up nay sayers just from her looks alone, let alone the many advancements she will have.

Aliensun, I liked your post.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think this Classified program is very important, not only for use as a weapon, but also the mental effect it creates. It is a positive effect for the citizens of this country. Showing that the US is still very much able to produce some of the worlds most advanced aircraft. And the pride that comes with this. I know im proud. For the enemy it creates fear, and an unknown. Which is highly effective, making the enemy think twice. This is something I think the US has been needing , a boost in moral, showing the world that the US still has amazing technology being developed.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Like we have learned from the movie industry, if there is a bunch of teasers and mainstream hype BEFORE it's release, it is a POS.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 08:58 AM
link   
If it was so secret that no one know about it, then it appears in an advert, one has to ask whether it is real or not.

$55billion to develop? The US government really needs to take the intelligent client role, because they are not being one.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The proof of the pudding is in the eating, as the saying goes!

When the last time any of this technologically advanced, hyper-expensive war hardware was put to use against anyone other than impoverished goat herders with AK-47's and RPG's? An enemy with their own advanced air and air defence capabilities?

That's why I always find all the chest beating and bravado so funny when these matters are discussed. The real test is of course in combat, not simulated using hypothetical or controlled scenarios, but real combat against similarly armed opponents making unpredictable moves over unfamiliar territory.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

**That was a very good link to follow up there in the OP.**

I have to agree that cost overruns are a given with any of these new programs. Seems to me, that the prime contractors have figured out if they come in low, they can get the initial approval for the program. I can't remember a single program being cancelled (early) that managed to get off the ground.

ETA: Well ... blow me down. It's right there in the article. The F-22 program was shut down. Hmmm

Maybe that's what the problem is.

It's called "Bid and Be Damned!" . It's more profitable to make a low-ball offer, get the contract, keep the bits you want to do for yourself, and sub-contract everything else to your rivals, get the customer to sign penalty clauses if they cancel the contract.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

ONE commercial that shows a vague shape under a cloth is enough hype for you to call it a POS, and that based on the movie industry. Wow. Makes perfect sense to me.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Again, we know NOTHING about how the contract is set up, because no contract has been signed yet. But based on knowing absolutely nothing about the program (because it's barely started) people would have you believe that it's going to be even worse than the F-35 program has been.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Again, we know NOTHING about how the contract is set up, because no contract has been signed yet. But based on knowing absolutely nothing about the program (because it's barely started) people would have you believe that it's going to be even worse than the F-35 program has been.

Of course me and you know that.

But not many people have a Zaphod to enlighten them.

Fact is a me as Brit on ATS probably know more about what is going on than 90% of Americans because not many have expert to ask.

After the F-35 budget fiasco I can understand why people are going to be skeptical at costs and black projects.

posted on Mar, 6 2015 @ 11:01 AM
link   

And 90% of people don't even know a new bomber is in the works. Most don't even care honestly.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join