It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PS4 shuts down only when I play GTA 5. Any one else experienceing this? Any solutions? Help

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:18 PM
link   
SO I have a PS4. Works great. No bugs. Does the internet. Plays games, DVDs, Blue Ray etc...

Bored and haven't gotten a game in a while so I decide ehh why not GTA5. It's got good reviews.

So I take it home install it and the first thing I notice is the character won't turn right. neither will any of the cars. OK, maybe it's my controller. So I reboot my PS4 and that problem goes away. Game acts fine. I save at a prompted check point after one of the missions. And the PS4 now randomly shuts down as if the power plug had been pulled from the wall. just without warning . PFFFFT. off. I go oh crap my PS4 after 6 months is crapping out already. Try Farcry 4 no problems. Put in Black Flag no problems. It's not a power supply issue. Everything BUT GTA5 works just fine.

Looked on line and it doesn't seem that specific issue has been brought up. I'm thinking the last save screwed up something with the hardrive or memory, but why shut off and not just freeze or do something else. Again. This only happens when I play GTA5. Not on any other game even after the fact.

Anybody out there know anything about this sort of stuff? Can any one offer me any advice? The game looks great. Just not too excited about the shutting down my PS4 without warning.

Somebody please help me.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
It could be that the data copied from the dvd got corrupted or is corrupted. Try deleting the game save and all the data of the game and start fresh.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Fifaboy

Lucky I only got about an hour or two in before this all happened. So Should I fully delete the install too? It takes like 30 minutes to re install. Or just the last save?

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Fifaboy

Also, thank you for answering so fast. Very cool.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Make sure your NAT is open.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Whats NAT? I don't connect to any online gaming. I just wanna make sure I don't make things worse. And I have no idea what NAT is.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: thesaneone

Also thanks for the help too.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Is there plenty of ventilation? I know my PS3 (which ran hotter) would shut down sometimes if too hot.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You said you don't connect to any online gaming. Are you doing the system updates and game updates? Those will usually fix crashing problems, but it's strange your system completely shut down. Just as jtrenthacker said, also check ventilation.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

Thanks Jtrenthacker and Quantum.

It's upright and nothing smothering it. My apt doesn't get that hot either. But I do run the PS4 24/7. (basically never shut it off) But it's only happening with GTA5. I've played Farcry4 afterwards to see if it was the whole hardrive or power issue and it plays like a champ.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
I remember on the xbox360, there was a way to clear the cache.

Is this possible on the ps4?

It would likely remove all system updates and game patches so swim at your own risk.

While typing a response, I found this...

As the PlayStation 4 doesn't have a specific option for deleting cache files, the best thing you can do if switch your console off for about 10 seconds and then back on. This acts like virtual memory on a computer.

Also, for clearing your cache on GTA V, when booting the game, simply hold down L1+R1 throughout the opening scenes. If successful, you will be prompted to re-calibrate your language and brightness settings.

Give it a shot!

edit on 5-3-2015 by eisegesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

This might help if your having a problem with the NAT type.

It use to be my problem when I was playing gta5 on my PS3 and after pulling my last few hairs out I found it to be the issue.

www.playstationing.com...

edit on 5-3-2015 by thesaneone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: eisegesis

so I like the idea of clearing the cache on GTA5. basically that will start me from the beginning of the game right? Erase all my saves? Will I have to re install the whole game or just start over. Or will it just make me start from the last uncorrupted save. Either way I'm gunna try it. It's better than my console shutting off randomly and without any warning. Just PSSSSST! Off. when I reboot it says your PS4 did not shut down properly last time etc....

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jtrenthacker

That could be related to what I read: GTA5 already brings the currentGen consoles to its near limits with the enhanced graphics and the newly added first person mode.

(I´m a little bit envy I don´t get that for my old X360)

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: verschickter

The game looks beautiful and the story is pretty good. Gunna try it again right now and see if the problem is still there. If not gunna go for the erase GTA5 cashe w/ the r1 + l1 trick. will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again for everyone who contributed and gave advice. ATS came through a whole lot better than google or rockstar or PS4 forums.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Did you get the game new or used...I would go with the guy that said that it's missing data from the install...and patches patch your game and that should fix any problems...

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Your PS4 is not going to physically shut off because of a network issue. I don't see how an internet connection could affect the PS4 in a way it cuts power. Sounds like it was over heating. If you run it 24-7 dust will accumulate much faster. There's a lot going on in that game and to keep your system safe it's shutting down to avoid further problems. If it was a NAT problem you would just have a hard time connecting to online games. Pull it apart and blow dust out, but you'll void any warranties.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BASSPLYR

Sorry I misread the problem you have and yeah the NAT type is not your problem but I see that you leave your system on all day, I'm 95% sure it's a overheating issue and ps4 will shutdown automatically when it gets hot and gta5 will cause your system to overheat because of its demand.

Not sure if any of this is helpful but good luck and I hope you can continue your gaming.

posted on Mar, 5 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I want to say upfront that my experience has been with the Xbox One, so there may not be options to do some of what i suggests on the ps4. They are very similar systems though, so i'd imagine the troubleshooting for this issue would be pretty close to the same.

The issue is likely a bad install, or some form of bad/corrupted data hiding out somewhere causing trouble. Uninstall the game and delete any and all saved games for that title.

In the last generation of consoles there was a "system cache" of some sort that you could clear to remove any related temp data, but the current gen systems don't have that due to the increased available RAM. What you need to do is completely flush the system ram to ensure there is no lingering data before you reinstall. You can do this easily by powering the console down completely and unplugging the power cable from the back of the console for a minimum of one minute. RAM is unable to retain information without electricity, so starving the system of electricity for a bit forces the ram to flush. This allows the system to rebuild the required information at the next start up so you know you have good fresh data.

Recap:
1. uninstall game
2. check for and delete any remaining files related to game including saves.
3. unplug console power source and let it sit for at least 1 minute.
4. power on console and reinstall content.

If this does not resolve the issue there may be an issue with the hard drive and a format and factory reset may be required. Let me know if you continue to have issues and I will do my best to help.

posted on Jun, 21 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: xDeadcowx

Hey thanks for reaching out. I really, really want it to be a bad install. The consol worked flawlessly until the moment I installed gta-v.

What I'm running into now Is that the machine won't even turn on not even in safe mode. It just turns iin for a split second then shuts immediately off.

I haven't been able to use my ps4 fir months and was about to throw it out. Please advise if you think there are anyways to get her running again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join