It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS To Be Shut Down In An Emergency: What About Cell Phones?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I was pondering the ATSNN story I had posted about the Bush decision to shut down portions of the GPS system in an extreme emergency and another thought came to me:

What about the cell phones? It would make alot of sence to take down the national cell phone system during this time as well. Cell phones represent a really secure way to communicate esp. during a short term op. they are easily concealed, draw little or no attention etc.

Can the nations cell phone system be taken down that quickly?

Edit: the GPS story
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 12/17/04 by FredT]

dh

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The cell towers are the most important function in this era
Thats why they are springing up on every street corner and every far-flung place
They have the ability to connect directly with your DNA, creating voices in your head
They connect with your cell phone and will connect with your RF enabled smart ID card, becoming in short order your microchip
The network shut down ? -Never, unless for upgrade to two-way transmission

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
Fredt,

When we extend your reasoning, other forms of communication must also be shut down, e.g. phone lines, emails etc.

I doubt that die hard terrorists use cell phones on a regular basis, simply because they can be tracked and tapped easily- remember echelon?

It's more probable that they use email and some form of encryption (e.g. pgp) to communicate sensitive information.

Blobber

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Blobber]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   
To shut down the cell network would be a lot
of work it would be almost as complicated as
shutting down all the land lines and it would
only be less complicated because there are fewer
wireless switches.

Telecom work is how I make my living
and this would involve a lot of reprogramming
and many man hours it is not like turning off
a light you don't just flip one switch and make it happen.

As far as terrorists go a cell phone though it can be tracked
is still a really good tool for them, with the ability to get prepaid
cell phones it is hard to pinpoint who owns them..

[edit on 12/17/2004 by geocom]

[edit on 12/17/2004 by geocom]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by geocom
As far as terrorists go a cell phone though it can be tracked
is still a really good tool for them, with the ability to get prepaid
cell phones it is hard to pinpoint who owns them..

Well that's true, but the way how cell phones work (via a network of unique antenna's) the terrorist location can be pin pointed, at least that's what I understand. Also if I am not wrong, that's how they have captured an Al-Qaeda excecutive.

E.g. terrorist use cell phone... it transmits data to the nearest GSM/UMTS antenna X in street A, so his proximity is known.

Blobber

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Blobber]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by dh
The cell towers are the most important function in this era.... They have the ability to connect directly with your DNA, creating voices in your head

The network shut down ? -Never, unless for upgrade to two-way transmission

what if we could harness the vibrations to our ends?

start communicating with each others DNA?

then instead of an infrastructure of oppression, the network serves our good.

Question to dh: is this the upgrade to two-way transmission that you meant?

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
CONTINGENCY PLAN SHOULD THE INFORMATION BECOME PUBLIC OR SHOULD THE ALIENS ATTEMPT TAKEOVER.
This plan called for a public announcement that a terrorist group had entered the United States with an Atomic weapon. It would be announced that the terrorists planned to detonate the weapon in a major city. Martial Law would be declared and all persons with implants would be rounded up along with all dissidents and would be placed into concentration camps. The press, radio, and TV would be nationalized and controlled. Anyone attempting to resist would be arrested or killed.

CONTINGENCY PLAN TO CONTAIN OR DELAY RELEASE OF INFORMATION
This plan called for the use of MAJESTIC TWELVE as a disinformation ploy to delay and confuse the release of information should anyone get close to the truth. It was selected because of the similarity of spelling and the similarity to MJ-12. It was designed to confuse memory and to result in a fruitless search for material which did not exist.

this guy has a declass site that sparks a little imagination

www.ufos-aliens.co.uk...

[edit on 17/12/2004 by baaronhaile]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blobber

Well that's true, but the way how cell phones work (via a network of unique antenna's) the terrorist location can be pin pointed, at least that's what I understand. Also if I am not wrong, that's how they have captured an Al-Qaeda excecutive.

E.g. terrorist use cell phone... it transmits data to the nearest GSM/UMTS antenna X in street A, so his proximity is known.

You're assuming that the government knows the person using the phone is a terrorist. It would be quite easy to mask a conversation using code words etc.

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by rogue1

Originally posted by Blobber

You're assuming that the government knows the person using the phone is a terrorist. It would be quite easy to mask a conversation using code words etc.

Yes that was to show how easy it is to locate criminals and terrorists (with the assumption that the government knows what the caller is).

Still, even if the terrorists use key words, it really is not a good reason to shut down entire cell phone networks in case of emergencies:
1- because people cannot call their relatives, work or emergency numbers
2- as in 9/11, terrorists will most likely communicate via the internet using encryption programs to transfer sensitive information
3- to shut down the communication possibilities of terrorists we would have to shut down cell phones, phone lines, the internet, amateur radios etc.

Blobber

dh

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by baaronhaile

what if we could harness the vibrations to our ends?

start communicating with each others DNA?

then instead of an infrastructure of oppression, the network serves our good.

Question to dh: is this the upgrade to two-way transmission that you meant?

Yes, well first you plant towerbusters at every tower in your region
This converts malevolent DOR and HAARP transmissions to something more useable
And yes, in theory this ought to be a benificial outcome though I haven't learnt to tune into these frequencies yet

Excuse, I'd give a fuller explanation but my computer just got hacked to death and I put the restore on it as the safest way out, so this is my first way back on line
I'd gladly provide lots more information at a later date

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 02:30 AM
link   
Just to add to the conversation the U.S. government has
the capability to Jam the cell network which is by far easier than to
shut it down. and yes triangulating any RF signal not just cell phones
is not very difficult, in fact there is technology out there that can be up to 300
feet ( probably more now) or so from your computer and monitor your key strokes and even see exactly what is on your monitor just from the spurious emmissions that electronics emit.

as far as knowing someone is a terrorist well that is a little more difficult
with the ease of sim cards it is easy to use them once or twice and
then discard them or destroy them and put a new one in place
then you have a new number new customer info it is not difficult
to spoof cell phones. I have a pre cellphone communications reciever that
I could (I repeat could) use to monitor cell phone conversation that are happening local cell towers. newer reciever do not have include cell frequency capability but most of the old high quality recievers do like an ICOM R7000 it will get any frequency between 530 Khz and I think it is around 2 ghz that is a lot of spectrum that you can monitor and even anlayze with out much difficulty.

Additionally due to some new legislation all new cell phones as of June 2005
will have GPS capability and yes it will be 2 way and use your cell phone serial number like a network address then you will be trackable instantly. in fact
I recieved a letter from Nextel today who is no longer my cell carrier and
they requested that you bring your phones in for a free upgrade to GPS
capability so that they can better track your location with the 911 system
while legitimate I thought that this also seemed like a very nice guise for
GPS tracking only time will tell I guess..

[edit on 12/19/2004 by geocom]

[edit on 12/19/2004 by geocom]

new topics

top topics

join