It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walking Dead Fan? Downtown Grantville, GA is for Sale on eBay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Here's your chance to own a bit of television and cinematic history!

For the bargain price of $680,000, you can buy 75% of downtown Grantville, GA on eBay and for another $260,000, you can buy the rest. Grantville is one of a handful of small Georgia towns in the area that have been backdrops for a number of movies and TV shows in the the last few decades, including The Walking Dead and Dumb and Dumber To. There are 3 movies scheduled for upcoming filming in Grantville, including a sequel to The Ring.

The first I heard of this is when I read about it on Cult of the Weird. This came as something of a surprise to me as I grew up not 15 miles from Grantville and I have still have family and friends in the area.

.. and now you'll have to forgive me for doing a bit of bragging!

Most people are probably unaware of the proliferation of film studios in Georgia over the last couple decades, particularly south of Atlanta, but the film industry in Georgia has been booming. There are at least three that I know of already and the mall we frequented when I was in high school was just demolished to make room for Tyler Perry's new studio. Some of the other things filmed in the area (mostly in Newnan and Senoia): Mockingjay parts 1 & 2, Lawless, The Odd Life of Timothy Green, Zombieland, i]Footloose (2010 reboot), Sweet Home Alabama, The War, Pet Sematary II, Fried Green Tomatoes, Driving Miss Daisy.

If any of you are big fans of The Walking Dead and find yourself in the area (30 minutes south of Hartsfield), I recommend taking a trip out to Senoia, which was the set of the town of Woodbury and has a really cool Walking Dead gift shop and coffee shop (The Woodbury Shoppe).
edit on 2015-3-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
This is seriously cool! I don't live anywhere near there or else I'd be visiting. I'd love it.
Someone will buy it. I bet Norman Reedus can afford it nowadays. And he's really into the series. I read that he saved Ricks beard in an envelope and has it in his freezer. Really.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Thats pretty awesome. Someone needs to research on the surrounding area, before just jumping in and buying the place, Like the reason the town is up for sale in the first place. Still a nice piece of cinema history, I love the walking dead

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan
This is seriously cool! I don't live anywhere near there or else I'd be visiting. I'd love it.
Someone will buy it. I bet Norman Reedus can afford it nowadays. And he's really into the series. I read that he saved Ricks beard in an envelope and has it in his freezer. Really.

I think it was a ziplock bag, they showed a picture of it on talking dead.

Pretty weird though.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Very cool. I have a buddy that is in commercial real estate and regularly rents warehouses out to movie crews. They film a lot near me at work off Marietta Highway, and my wife's shop has been used for a few films as well...her place is in an old military barrack behind a very old church near Buckhead.

I have run into quite a few celebs here as well....Bill Murray was my favorite....he was in Marietta Square a little while back.

A lot of the actors for Walking Dead either live or lived in Serenbe just outside of Atlanta and I met a few of them when the wife and I stayed there a while back.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyersFan

Yeah you're not far from Philly right? I'm in south Jersey these days myself and with the weather we're looking at tonight, I'd definitely rather be back in GA.

LOL. I had not heard that about Rick's beard but my brother has run into Norman Reedus a couple of times (at Target of all places and also at a bar) and my brother said he is incredibly personable.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

I can tell you that the population of Coweta County has more than quadrupled since I moved away in the mid-90's. When I left, we couldn't even keep a movie theater with 2 screens in business. These days there is something like 40 movies screens in the city of Newnan. Grantville is a few miles from I-85, about half an hour south of Hartsfield-Jackson Intl Airport.

The food is awesome, the people are friendly and the cost of living is pretty low. My wife and I consider moving down to the area every couple years (usually in the winter
)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

I don't suppose you'd overnight some pulled pork bbq?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

I don't suppose you'd overnight some pulled pork bbq?

Ha! No, but if you ever come back this way we can hit a few of my favorites. Born and raised here and lived in MS and MT for a few years in between, but love GA!

It is a nice hot 73 degrees right now where I am....

Now my mouth is watering for some pulled pork, jalepeno grits, collards and lima beans.....maybe corn on the cob and a tomato or 2 as well....

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Come on local entrepreneurs,crowd fund this into a walking dead theme park!!!

Its crying out for it man,you could get locals to be zombies and get tourists to stay in the town,for a real zombie apocalypse holiday experience.

People would pay for that.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I could really go for some pulled pork, brunswick stew and collard greens myself. Also, I have no idea why grits aren't more popular outside of the south. What's not to love about grits?

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I could really go for some pulled pork, brunswick stew and collard greens myself. Also, I have no idea why grits aren't more popular outside of the south. What's not to love about grits?

Yeah Brunswick Stew is one of my favorite things on a cold day. As far as grits....hell if I know. They are a staple in my house. Odd thing is, my mom is from Augusta, GA and she hates them. That is like hating on sweet tea or something.....just sad.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

I could totally see a zombie theme park taking off and it's conveniently located off of I-85, half an hour from the world's busiest airport. If I had the scratch, I'd consider buying it just to hang around and watch movies being filmed. The taxes for the entire downtown are only about a grand more than we're paying for a house on less than an acre here.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

I will remain a fan if they stop killing off main characters.......If they kill off Daryl Dixon which it looks like they might I am going to be pissed.

He is a good character........Keep him around......Stop being cheap sell outs. Also what is up with all the commercials every 10 minutes...........Rant off.
edit on 4-3-2015 by SubTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You'll get a kick out of this....that buddy of mine that does commercial real estate and rents to movie companies.....I just talked to him and he has been looking at this with his company. If he ends up getting it, I will head out there with him and get some ATS exclusive pics...that would be fun.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   
-sings-

If I had a million dollars, I'd buy you a town...

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   
a reply to: SubTruth

There's a few characters that I think are much less likely to be killed off than others: Rick, Carl, Daryl, Glen, Maggie and Michonne. Of course I was surprised when they killed off Hershel and shocked when they killed off Beth so who knows?

The number of commercial interruptions with AMC is so bad that I usually just DVR it.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Small world! From the pictures on eBay, it looks like it's all been recently renovated. I still can't over how cheap the taxes are. I wonder who the current owner is/owners are? Aside from the publicity factor, eBay seems like an odd choice.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 02:58 PM
link   
There are lots of abandoned villages from Ireland to Italy to Russia that can be bought for a bargain-The walking dead theme park could easily become an international franchise if some rich crowd fund bought a few villages.

posted on Mar, 4 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Small world! From the pictures on eBay, it looks like it's all been recently renovated. I still can't over how cheap the taxes are. I wonder who the current owner is/owners are? Aside from the publicity factor, eBay seems like an odd choice.

Yeah....taxes are cheap. I would say the main reason for ebay is because it likely gets a lot more attention on the web for out of state buyers. I would doubt a real estate agent to just list that and get it sold...ebay gives them a lot more exposure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join