It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music that explores masculinity.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 03:22 AM
link   
guitarras morescas - Manitas, José Reyes , Bambo Manero,

www.youtube.com...

Manitas de Plata - Sangre Flamenco

www.youtube.com...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
How about this for candidate in the ULTIMATE Guy Jam..Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top jammin with Daryl Hall and his band! LOVE this web series "Live from Daryls House!
..That Beard Billy..soooo righteous!

edit on 3/2/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/2/2015 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
This is a good song with a man examining the effect his father's actions had on his life and his resolve to be a better father to his own children. This is a song so many people can relate to.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Absolutely brilliant songs!
Thanks so much.

The Hollies - He Ain't Heavy, He's my Brother.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Sixto Rodriguez - Establishment Blues.

Rodriguez - Crucify Your Mind.

edit on 2-3-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:45 PM
link   
The Beach Boys - Sloop John B.

Drinking all night, got into a fight ... but hoist up the John B. sails!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms.

Baptisms of fire ...

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12
Interesting video.

Unless we're talking about transsexuals, gay men are men.
They face many of the same situations as hetero men.

A lot of "macho" styles and behaviors have indeed come from US gay enclaves.

Here's the Village People with Macho Man.
Strangely not all the members were actually gay, which draws attention to how gender and sexuality can be performed.
Clearly what were considered "macho" male bodies in the 1970s would not be considered very "manly" today.
That's also interesting.

Anyway, I've written a lot about gay topics in the past, and it's an inclusive thread on masculinity.
However, I don't only want to focus on gay men here.
I may be bisexual, but I also want to question and understand how men are treated by society.

Masculinity is an identity which can both hurt people or build them up.
It's not only about your last fantasy or encounter.
It's about all kinds of internalized and external expectations.
But great stuff!

edit on 2-3-2015 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: DjembeJedi
I'm so stealing that song for social media.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Interesting exploration of what it means to be a Man thru music. Here is a film I co produced and worked on that explores this very subject. "It Don't Mean Nothing" it's making the film festival circuit currently... Not sure if it will ever make a www. presence.

www.imdb.com...

another take on masculinity....

www.youtube.com...

edit on 2-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-3-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I'll keep a look out, but the 300 material is fantastic!

I post a lot of metal bands on social media who have fan videos with the imagery.

It's pretty much pop culture now, and also much satirized.

However, being a much-maligned minority in my country, with its high crime rates, I see it as inspiring.
Nobody can screw with people when they stick together.
My female family and friends know they are safe when I'm around.
Also nice for working out.

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Maleness and it's expression in art is a fascinating subject. As an anthropologist I look forward to other members posting and getting their take on the subject.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

rock and roll......the great equalizer!

posted on Mar, 2 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
A more gentle video, but also an approach to masculinity.

Elton John - You Gotta Love Someone.

Actually so true.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 01:45 PM
link   

---

oops! sorry folks after viewing a few videos in there I am beginning to believe this title was supposed to say "explores homosexuality" ?

...probably could have titled that better

edit on 3-3-2015 by AinElohim because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: AinElohim

Which videos?

Edit to add- I watched your video. Those hookers were alright I guess, if you're into being just like the opposite of captain Picard, goin someplace a million men have gone before... But I have to be honest, if you want to talk about bad titles... I did not see any talent there! Masculinity is about a lot more than just layin pipe, my brother. In fact, the obsession with sex in that song almost makes me wonder if the artist is a latent homosexual. I think for a lot of us men here, the ability to bag some trim is minor league stuff.

But you're probably young, so its cool, we've all been there before. I'm just saying I'd be more impressed if you can prove you're a man in other ways than just gettin your noodle wet... Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to disrespect you or your video, cause that guy is probably like, your hero or something, but hey, you can dish it out, now let's see how well you can take it!

edit on 3/3/2015 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3n19m470

Which videos?

nevermind bro... I just think now it would have been better just to name the thread "Music that Explores Sexuality"

it's one of those dated terms the author of the thread decided to use imo.

posted on Mar, 3 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Nah, I think the author of the thread knew exactly what he meant and expressed his thoughts concisely. Of course I could be wrong... or it could be that you're just what we used to call "young, dumb and full of cum". Something your generation, if I'm right about your age ( 21 or below?) would refer to as "YOLO". Theres nothing wrong with that, and the "dumb" part isn't meant as an insult towards your intelligence. It just means you're hormones are active, so yeah, nothing wrong with that. Its just the generation gap means we have different definitions of what masculinity is and what it means to be a man.

So, don't take my post the wrong way, I was just flippin ya sh#, in a good natured kinda way, cause I figured that's what you were doing with your "homosexual" comment. No REAL offense intended... But when I think about what it means to be a man, I think about someone who does what he says he's gonna do, sticks to his word, ya know, someone you can count on in a time of need, someone you can count on to do what's right, someone who knows the meaning of brotherhood, loyalty, honor, integrity, stuff like that.

And I'm not saying you dont possess any of those virtues, I'm just saying, it seems like you value the ability to bed a woman more than those things. But that's just based on your choice of video to post in a thread about masculinity. Which isn't a whole lot to go by, so I'm sure there are a ton of things I still don't know about you, which is why I wouldn't completely judge you based on that, but I figured if you can flip sh#, you can take it like water off a duck's back. Besides, who doesn't love women?! I'm totally with ya there, my man, I just think you should know there are other things to masculinity. Things that do not really deserve to be trash talked as if they are homosexual traits...

Here's a digital beverage of your choice, just to show there are no hard feelings (and you better choose whiskey or beer, that is, if you've got a pair! Jk!)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join