It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Using a vpn to watch American tv in the UK am I breaking the law or a contract?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I signed up to a program called unlocator a while ago, I did not realise at the time but when I went to watch netflix it thought I was on holiday in America and gave me access to loads more content. I can also watch hulu.

Thw question is am I breaking an actual law or am In violation of my contract with Netflix?

Also I signed up to the wwe network(don't judge me everyone needs a guilty pleasure) and accidently chose my country as France not England, because of this I am being charged 10 euro's a month instead of 10 gbp meaning I get it cheaper again am I commiting fraud?

It will not stop me doing it I'm just curious.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Your not breaking the law but you are probably going against the terms and conditions of the service. I know Netflix are currently looking at ways to close this loophole as there are thousands that do exactly as you are doing.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

They are but I think I will be okay as I have a UK netflix account, I think they are more concerned about watching in countries that have no netflix at all.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Nope you are not breaking the law but it is against the T&C's of netflix.

I have got my DNS settings changed so Netflix things I am in the states thus giving me much more content, its not illegal but it is against T&C's. There was actually a story in the press not too long ago about how netflix were thinking about using some kind of software to try to detect this kind of thing and ban the accounts of those doing it. Then again I also read that Netflix know that if they were to take a tough line on people changing their country they would lose loads of customers because so many people are doing it and they do not care so long as they get their 10 quid a month.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
And yet, Another Great Reason to Get Netflix!

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
WWE ???

As long as you tell me you know it isn't competitive and 'real' then I won't judge you! Nothing wrong with the story lines and athletic performances.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: noeltrotsky

Lol, I used to watch it as a kid and then just started watching it again, I treat it like a soap opera with better fight scenes.

I am working my way though the older stuff I watched when I was younger I'm now up to 2003 royal rumble.

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I enjoy my Netflix account so much - it's replaced any desire I've had to break down and get cable. It saves me thirty dollars to use Netflix rather than a cable company service.

One of my biggest beefs is that it doesn't have enough British movies and networks shows. I've caught up on Dr. Who, Wolfblood, Being Human and many of the movies and I'm hungry for more! I've seen all the American stuff... I'm American. So the British programming is where it's at for me to watch truly original and new stuff I've not already seen...

So this information is... verrryyy interesting.

ETA - Poo - hubby says hell no were not changing the settings to get more British TV.

CdT

posted on Feb, 26 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

If you know someone in the uk and logged in under there account details you could get UK netflix, If they logged in under yours they would get USA netflix and you would both be winners!

I know in the UK you can have 3 accounts on one subscription so you would both still have the option of either.

posted on Mar, 16 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
No you are not breaking any law as millions of people use vpn in america, canada, china and even in UK. I am also using Ipvanish and purevpn in uk to access all kind of american channels which are blocked in uk. Here some good providers you can find in the list of www.vpnranks.com....

posted on Aug, 4 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
Really i think you can find answer of your Question at here:- www.corporatevpn.org...
edit on 4-8-2015 by alinafoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 01:28 AM
link   
I don't think so you are breaking any law this is actually just restricted due to some reasons, here in my country we also watch other country channel so we never feel that we are breaking any law, I used vpn service which is quite easy for me to access my favorite channels you can also have a look www.fastvpnservice.com... I am hopeful my opnioin will helpful for you and others too.

posted on Mar, 10 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   
No you're not breaking any law or contract as thousands of people are using VPN to access region blocked content. I am also using PureVPN to access US Hulu and UK BBC iPlayer in Canada

posted on Mar, 13 2018 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Vpn is itself perfectly legal, though you may be breaking the terms and conditions of the service you're using, but I think nobody will discover or be bothered either. Here www.firesticktricks.com... you can find out about legality of using VPN
Personally, I've been using VPNs for years. Stop worrying and enjoy geo freedom while you can.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: tracyleon

Thanks for sharing,
I am digital named last year I was in the UK and there I had faced a lot of issues of geo-restrictions, but I want to thanks Nord VPN for helping me in accessing block content in UK.

posted on May, 23 2018 @ 12:22 PM
link   
It depends on the country. In many countries using VPN is illegal. If you are watching pirated sites for watching TV than obviously, you are breaking law. You need a perfect VPN(Express VPN) and a list of good sites to watch TV online, and you are good to go.

posted on Jul, 6 2018 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

no men you are not breaking any law. well, my suggestion is that use FastestVPN to secure your privacy. I also use this VPN to watch my favorite sports channels online from anywhere in the world and this VPN has unblocked geo-restrictions.

edit on 6-7-2018 by andyjames77 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join