It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ikku

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
I read have of the Article that you sent a link to. The interesting thing I find about the advocates of evolution is their link with science fiction. Just a observable link. Maybe that is why there are so many theories being thrown about (which that article was).

Just to comment on one of the idea in the article (which is what you wanted me to comment on) regarding the initial concept of God.

Douglas Adams postulates that primitive man, in its simplistic way, needed to come to an understanding of how it was created and how the world was created (seeing he had now managed to become a creator).

I would like to make a real world observation of primitive cultures as we do not need to theorise on what may have happened 'millions' of years ago.

Pacific Natives, Australian Aborigines in particular are not the most advanced race on earth (not being racist or mean.. just observing the fact).

When white man came to Australia, they found a nomadic race of people. Now these were humans, not ape men, yet they had only formed what we would call basic tools. They did not build huts or farms. They lived off the land. They say that Aboriginal people came from Asia at least 30,000 years ago which is interesting as I can't find any reference to them to having built boats). What is more interesting to note is the fact that they had no contact with 'Christian cultures'.

So what did the Australian Aborigines believe? They believe in the Dreamtime. In the "Dreamtime," aboriginal "Ancestors" rose from below the earth to form various parts of nature including animal species, bodies of water, and the sky. Unlike other religions, however, aboriginal belief does not place the human species apart from or on a higher level than nature. Aborigines believe some of the Ancestors metamorphosed into nature (as in rock formations or rivers), where they remain spiritually alive.

So what I present to you is observable 'fact' and what you and Douglas Adams presents is theory. We know for a fact that primitive people did not have a 'need' to believe in an all powerful God.

I would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Ooops, how the hell did that happen?
This is suppose to go on the bottom of the Evolution where is the evidence thread!

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I never said there was a need for God in primitive cultures. I said that the idea of God was created by some of cultures in order to explain where they came from and what meaning their life contains, and later became a way to control people. Most cultures have a desire to know the purpose of their existence, some go for God, some don't. There are definitely alternatives.

In fact, if there is a God, why hadn't he revealed himself to such cultures as he supposedly revealed himself to his original followers?

(You must've hit the new topic button, a bit too close to the reply button I assume
)

[edit on 17-12-2004 by Ikku]

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Yeah, Good questions.

From my interpretation of the Bible, he made his message clear to the line of David. In the new testiment the message was clear that the whole world should be told about him.

To be fair, it does mention that people will be judged on what they know. So civilizations that have no idea what it is all about will be judged in accordance with that.

top topics

join