It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldier Charged With Having Himself Shot

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:53 PM
link   
A soldier had his cousin shoot him so he did not have to go back to the war in Iraq! This is an extreme example of how far people will go to remove themselves from the front line.

PHILADELPHIA Dec 16, 2004 � Police have arrested a soldier they say had his cousin shoot him so he wouldn't have to return to Iraq.

Army Spc. Marquise J. Roberts, of Hinesville, Ga., suffered a minor wound Tuesday to his left leg from a .22-caliber pistol, police said. He was treated at a hospital, then arrested after he and his cousin allegedly admitted making up a story about the shooting.

abcnews.go.com...

I guess desperation and fear lead him to this point. I hope they are not too harsh with him, although I think they will be, so it does not give other soldiers the leeway to do this too!

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
there is no escaping the war in iraq!!!

hey that was my idea too

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
How stupid, as if you wouldn't just jump of a house or somthing so you would break your legs...

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   
People were shooting themselves in the foot even back in Vietnam but they didnt have access to .22s. Man that guy picked the smallest bullet he could find without using a pellet gun.

To bad its illegal to shoot someone in the US for any reason so now both him and he cousin will get in trouble.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Police charged Roberts with filing a false report and charged his cousin, Ronald Fuller, with aggravated assault and other charges.

I don't see why they would charge the cousin for aggravated assault, if it is true that they agreed to the plan.

Maybe grunts don't have to be all that smart, after all.

link   
It sounds like this country I've been call "Singapore" where singaporeans guy above the age of 18 have to serve their nation, they go through tough military training. Being described as more of a "mental torture" then a "physical torture". Well, those poor guys in Singapore, they did some crazy stuff. My friend made his friend push him down a 18 flight stairs, many similar stories like the one about the soldier having his cousin shoot him.

link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
People were shooting themselves in the foot even back in Vietnam but they didnt have access to .22s. Man that guy picked the smallest bullet he could find without using a pellet gun.

To bad its illegal to shoot someone in the US for any reason so now both him and he cousin will get in trouble.

Not unless you have a full carry and its a life or death situation

[edit on 16-12-2004 by ShadowMan]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   

It kills me when people say that something was going on "even back in Vietnam." I was talking with some kids at my favorite haunt about friendly fire incidents and one said, "Heck, they had that problem way back in Vietnam," like Vietnam was the first war where anything at all went wrong.

I would remind all that the M-16 fires a .22 caliber round (.223).

[edit on 04/12/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Self defense is different but you cant just shoot someone even if they want you to do it.

Im sure they also got the cousin for discharging a firearm in city limits. Unless of course he shot him at a range or hunting area which I doubt.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

I would remind all that the M-16 fires a .22 caliber round (.223).

[edit on 04/12/16 by GradyPhilpott]

Yeah a .223 but its like a .22 on steroids way more charge behind it

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
well, I'd gladly go and fight, but, my time has been served, and re enlistment would be a rough thing to accomplish, even though im under 30 still, ii dont want to go back through basic, which i would have to do since its been so long since i went. Why join to fight, and then chicken out, do they think the gov't is gonna let them go home because they cant handle what they got themselves into? I went to fight, fought, and will fight again, just so guys like him dont have to.

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Yeah a .223 but its like a .22 on steroids way more charge behind it

There's no comparison between the .22 LR and the 5.56mm NATO, which is hotter than the .223 Rem., but sometimes people forget that the bullet is only .003" larger than the .22.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The endresult will be that he doesn't go back to iraq?

He got the civilian lawsuit and the millitary lawsuit waiting for him, i guess his lawyer will ask the judge to hold him in prison for at least 5 years, or until iraq is a savce place

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   

People were shooting themselves in the foot even back in Vietnam

It goes back much further than that. This is from the first world war ...

During the night a man near me quite suddenly started squealing like a pig, and then jumped out of the trench, ran straight down the hill towards the town, and shot himself through the foot ...

Again at dawn we started on the march, and during the first halt another fellow shot himself through the foot.

www.firstworldwar.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

well, I'd gladly go and fight, but, my time has been served, and re enlistment would be a rough thing to accomplish, even though im under 30 still, ii dont want to go back through basic, which i would have to do since its been so long since i went.

Don't forget the back door draft...you just may be getting your wish sooner than you know it....
I'm sure that 70 year old doc didn't expect he'd be going to Afghanistan either....

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 12:51 PM
link   
shows how much a soldier will do not to go back to that hell hole. afta serving seven months, coming home to your family i wouldn't be surprised if no one would want to go back to iraq. although i wouldn't have got someone to shoot me. could the soldier if he really didn't want to go back just pretend that he had a mental health problem. im reading loads about that, all he has to say is he keeps having panic attacks, he is very stressed and in a deep depression at the moment and they wouldn't have sent him back

posted on Dec, 19 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Quite honestly, I can very well understand the reason why something like this would happen. Especially as I read more about what our government did to even convince anyone why they wanted this war to happen in the first place. I'm sure that there are some soldiers out there that know that the war is truly without any real cause other than our government's interests in Iraq's oil resources and not because they believe that there are any weapons of mass destruction. There are a lot of people in America who don't support the war and I believe the soldiers pay the hardest price for our government's selfishness and negligence because many Americans know the truth and where does this leave our soldiers? If I were a soldier, I know I wouldn't want to die in vain. That is not how I would want my life to end. I can't say that I wouldn't do anything similar to what this particular soldier did myself because when it comes down to it, the foundation of this war is based upon government corruption. With that said, whose problem is it? Should we as Americans really leave it up to the government to solve this mess. Surely not. We all have to step up, put ourselves in every soldiers' shoes and make some neccessary sacrifices here. This is one of many reasons why we need to come together as a country, most of the time Americans are predictable. If it doesn't affect us directly then we most likely won't get involved in it. I whole-heartedly blame Bush and his entire administration for this screw up. These soldiers have been left literally stranded not knowing why they're in the middle of Iraq, not knowing when if ever they'll make it back home and if they do survive, they'll be emotionally scarred for life. The truth hurts but in this case, the truth kills.

[edit on 12/19/2004 by Mr Knowledge]

posted on Jan, 5 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
They shouldn't charge him.

He's brave enough to take a bullet.

What he doesn't enjoy is taking a bullet unexpectedly from a camel rider.

Being able to take pain when you expect it versus unexpectedly from a 3rd world camel rider is not the same thing as cowardice.

posted on Aug, 22 2017 @ 06:48 AM
link   
a reply to: jeeze louise

This war must be hell. How bad is the military anyway? bad enough to ask to shot?

top topics

join