It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a safe cheap country to live in?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Right now I'm in my early 20s, living in the UK.

I'll be honest, I'm adamant to save up money and buy a house in another country.

Living here in the UK isn't as great as people living elsewhere would think. Sure, we have free healthcare, the economy is stable (I think?), and it is relatively safe so long as you don't go to certain areas or walk about after a certain time (where I live is quite dangerous to walk about, and you are liable to get mugged or stabbed, or even both..)

I'm just sick of everything being so costly, people being so uptight and obnoxious, people being glued to social media (I'm probably the 1% of people my age who doesn't have a facebook; too much drama, too much s**t to be honest!), and all in all this country is going to ruin.

I'm not going to tell you my life story, but I don't fancy working for the next 40 years (If I can help it). Instead, I'd prefer to save up enough money to buy a house somewhere and maybe live off the land, or live cheaply.

Does anyone have any recommendations of any countries/areas that are/have:

Cheap to live in
Somewhat civilized (I wouldn't wanna live in a place like Syria where I'd be liable to get shot, or worse..)
Has polite/friendly people living there (Think of the worst place in London or New York and then think of the opposite!)
Preferably English speaking (I can always learn another language if it means settling into a nicer area)
Laws that give basic human rights, and more

That's all I can think of off the top of my head (It's 2am here and my mind isn't really awake), but any help would be greatly appreciated!
edit on 8/2/2015 by toxicspikes because: typo

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hmmm, maybe Micronesia?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
I know a lot of ex-UK citizens who have moved here to Canada. It isn't the cheapest place to live in some ways, but it's a pretty great country in my opinion. My partner and I live simply, he makes about 60k as an electrician, I'm in university. We bought a house about 3 years ago for about 50k, which we've paid almost entirely.

Safety wise it's excellent, I live in a very small town, but even in our biggest city in this province everything is very reasonable.

Our prime minister is a bit of a ...douche? But any newcomers can help us vote him out maybe.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I will definitely look into those.

I've also heard Ecuador is a nice place to live, so I'll look into that too later in the day.

Cheers

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Elton

Hi Toxic, I'm a lot older than you but I have shared many of the same thoughts and sentiments for a few years now and I'm currently taking steps to move to Portugal as it is has one of the lowest cost of living rates in Europe.

Small houses inland are very cheap and certainly much cheaper than the UK.

I off their house hunting very soon and plan to have a good look around.

My daughter, 22 has just come back from a year in Hong Kong and she loved it there but it was very expensive, however she also visited the Mountains of Thailand and said it was incredibly cheap and if she had the choice she would live there in an instant.

There are plenty of around the world and you only have one life my friend.

With the way things are going in the world I would make the best of every single moment of life and squeeze the maximum out of it that you can.

You only have one life and if I were your age again I certainly wouldn't want to live it in today's United Kingdom.

Be safe and live your life!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
You might like Thailand. Super cheap and English is commonly spoken.
Ecuador is a great place too, but youd want to learn Spanish.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: studio500

Take a look at this link

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I heard that Ethiopia has a pretty stable economy despite the continent that it is in, friendly people, you can choose a moderate cost in the modern, city areas, or to live well and cheap in the countryside areas.

Crime is going to be anywhere you set foot on this earth, but Ethiopia has reasonable human rights, and crime in plenty areas of that country are low. All in all that country has been stable forever despite all the chaos on the rest of the continent.

An example of the opposite of the Africa we all know from what we have been fed to on television.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: toxicspikes

That is thought provoking question. I can' think of anywhere I have been that is both safe and inexpensive. Actually, I can't think of anywhere that is really safe or inexpensive. I considered going to Uruguay and am still considering. I've lived in Canada or Africa most of my life. South Africa was great in the 80's. Canada can be ridiculously expensive in places, Vancouver I think is the worst, Calgary, Edmonton, etc are dropping in price right now due to the gas price drop and Toronto is just so much regular high priced stupid. Our politicians are corrupt as hell like everywhere else and our police can be idiots but so far, not as bad as in the US. BTW, to one of the last posters, Canada is not a country, it is still a british colony as much as the PTB want to pretend otherwise.

Micronesia or French Polynesia might be a nice choice. If you like Africa at all, Zambia. I have an ex-associate who lives there and is running a game farm and just loves it, he keeps telling me to come back to Africa, just not South Africa LOL. Ultimately, depending on the types of weather you enjoy and the work you do should determine where you end up. I'm looking out the window now and the snow is up to my knees and my driveway is a 1000 feet long. I hate winter, I gotta get the firetruck out of here!

Cheers - Dave

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Mexico!

As long as you aren't looking for beachfront or on the Caribbean side, you can buy a house for $9,000.

Travel to places to check too! VRBO.com is a great place to start, try Belize as well.

Use Rosetta Stone or Michel Thomas software for the Spanish and you'll be fluent in no time!

Granted, you won't make much money there, but, find out what professions are in need where you want to go or what you could do to earn money. If you can outright buy a house and are fine with local transportation (or buy a scooter, they are cheap) then you will just need to pay the bills.

We stayed in Mexico for 3 weeks and travelled on our own, bought our own groceries, went to the laundry place and had zero problems with anyone. Everyone was very friendly there. We stayed just further down the coast from Chicxulub. Great area!

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   
My vote goes to.....The Azores!
Seven islands in the southern Atlantic ocean....
Never goes above 80 F or below 60 F
Three crops a year...and beautiful stone houses.....
It has an international airport on Santa marta , the biggest island...and it has fishing galore as well as simply living people with small holdings......
Its owned and operated by Portugal.....

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
At first glance I thought the title said "safe sheep country" and I was going to suggest New Zealand. How about the Falklands?

cheers

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: toxicspikes
Right now I'm in my early 20s, living in the UK.

I'll be honest, I'm adamant to save up money and buy a house in another country.

Living here in the UK isn't as great as people living elsewhere would think. Sure, we have free healthcare, the economy is stable (I think?), and it is relatively safe so long as you don't go to certain areas or walk about after a certain time (where I live is quite dangerous to walk about, and you are liable to get mugged or stabbed, or even both..)

I'm just sick of everything being so costly, people being so uptight and obnoxious, people being glued to social media (I'm probably the 1% of people my age who doesn't have a facebook; too much drama, too much s**t to be honest!), and all in all this country is going to ruin.

I'm not going to tell you my life story, but I don't fancy working for the next 40 years (If I can help it). Instead, I'd prefer to save up enough money to buy a house somewhere and maybe live off the land, or live cheaply.

Does anyone have any recommendations of any countries/areas that are/have:

Cheap to live in
Somewhat civilized (I wouldn't wanna live in a place like Syria where I'd be liable to get shot, or worse..)
Has polite/friendly people living there (Think of the worst place in London or New York and then think of the opposite!)
Preferably English speaking (I can always learn another language if it means settling into a nicer area)
Laws that give basic human rights, and more

That's all I can think of off the top of my head (It's 2am here and my mind isn't really awake), but any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'd say New Zealand or Australia. Or perhaps a Pacific Island.

Really depends on what your environmental settings are, but sunny days, temperate climate, English speaking, reasonably fair legal system,1st world, government assisted or free healthcare, capitalist economy but reasonable welfare.

Yeah,have a look at NZ.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Another guestion,, will that country let you live off of your/their land?

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: toxicspikes

This should help you out...

Happy Planet Index

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   

edit on 8/2/15 by ccseagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I have done some research on a few in South America. Panama has an economy that is supported mostly by the Panama canal. It is being widened now and they own it too. USA not involved anymore. Mostly English speaking, not bad for safety, Good hospitals, cheap house calls too if needed. Cost of living good. Also Chile is good. They are dependent mostly on their products and not much on imports, police rated good for not being corrupt. Housing has been going up regular. So a return on your investment can be made. You can own land there. Cost of living low too. Must learn Spanish to stay long term though. But these are the ones i looked into because US is cooperative with them and Social Security can be collected there without penalties.

posted on Feb, 8 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Buy a sail boat and live on that ... work when you need .

If a place existed that was cheap and safe with good human rights it would be over crowded by now.
edit on 8/2/15 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
To the OP.

Cost is relative. You could move to many countries and live on the cheap, but when you need to work you'll also get paid the "going rate" in that country. The average wage in X is five dollars a week, no housing benefit and the toilet is the field next door.

My advice is to move somewhere else in the UK if you are unhappy with your current place. If you don't want to work for the rest of your life then there are whole towns in the UK where welfare dependency is rife. Live the parasitic life!

You seem to want a lot and give little. That's the story of the age.

Regards

posted on Feb, 9 2015 @ 07:14 AM
link   
If I had the money I'd go to Costa Rica. Beautiful country a national health service, just not sure what property prices are, but if I was young fit and healthy enough without a serious illness I would definitely consider giving it a go. You only live once and life's too short to remain in Blighty your whole life

top topics

<<   2 >>

join