It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TERRORISM: Airport Screeners Lose Fake Bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   
In the second airport training embarrassment this month, baggage screeners at Newark airport spotted and then lost track of a fake bomb being used during an exercise. The realistic-looking device couldn't be found despite hours of searching, and was not removed until the aircraft arrived at it's destination, Amsterdam. Earlier this month, French officials lost track of a bag containing real explosives; the use of real explosives for training has now been banned in that country.

www.cbsnews.com
(AP) Baggage screeners at Newark Liberty International Airport spotted � and then lost � a fake bomb planted in luggage by a supervisor during a training exercise.

Despite an hours-long search Tuesday night, the bag, containing a fake bomb complete with wires, a detonator and a clock, made it onto an Amsterdam-bound flight. It was recovered by airport security officials in Amsterdam when the flight landed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This story highlights the extreme difficulty faced by airport security officials. If they can lose track of a device that they know is there, and has actually been seen, how can the public feel secure about the odds of a real, unexpected device being found and disabled?

The only good news is that the actual screening machine appears to have performed properly; the alarm sounded, but staff still (somehow!) managed to lose track of the bag.

Note that airport officials are still "undecided" on whether or not to discipline anyone. I can help them decide!!

[edit on 16-12-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Gee, I'm feeling all warm and fuzzy now......
How could they possibly lose that? I mean c'mon, the thing was spotted and then lost? How inept is this system?

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I thought that something like this just happened in France.
It just goes to show you that no matter how much security
you add or how many rights or privacy you try to take away you will
still have human error which will in the end allow another attack
which will result in only more loss of rights and privacies!!
In creating a larger security force we have just created a bigger
more lethargic monster that has even less chance of working...

geo

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Agree 100% geo, but what else can be done?? Doing nothing wasn't really an option, and at least now a terrorist has to plan more carefully and also have a pretty good dose of luck to get away with something like that.

top topics

join