It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Past Jeb Bush immigration remarks shock conservatives

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Added "Jeb" to headline for clarity..

The comments by Jeb Bush were made in 2013, but now are resurfacing as he begins his bid for President.

Washington (CNN)—During a "Family Reunion" conference hosted by the Hispanic Leadership Network in April 2013, Jeb Bush spoke freely on the promise immigrants hold for America and his views on reform.

He said, during a discussion with Univision, that it was "ridiculous" to think that DREAMers, children brought to the U.S. by their parents illegally, shouldn't have an "accelerated path" to citizenship.

Then, the former Florida governor was speaking to a friendly audience of establishment Republicans, after re-inserting himself in the immigration reform with the release of a controversial book on the issue a month prior.

"I've never felt like the sins of the parents should be ascribed to the children, you know," Bush said in 2013. "If your children always have to pay the price for adults decisions they make — how fair is that? For people who have no country to go back to — which are many of the DREAMers — it's ridiculous to think that there shouldn't be some accelerated path to citizenship."

www.cnn.com...

This is interesting as it means he is committed to a stance starkly contrary to his base...and admittedly it makes him more palatable to the Hispanic community which the GOP have largely lost in the past decade.

What are the primary implications?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

If the establishment GOP are choosing to get behind Jeb as 2016 approaches, it has implications for the GOP in Congress as sides will need to be taken both in rhetoric and endorsements..

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I knew he was just another R.I.N.O. How dare he talk like that. Doesn't he know that the millions of illegals streaming across the border will destroy this nation?

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
double post
edit on 4-2-2015 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: buster2010

It's the beginning of chickens coming home to roost...

The GOP has fed the xenophobic beast amongst their base to their advantage for years..

Now they can't win with the uncompromising demands their base makes of them...

So they are backing Jeb Bush...the TP will push Scott Walker et al. ...The GOP Mainstream will limit primary debates and cross their fingers betting the far right will suck it up and still go to the polls for Jeb despite his very charitable and liberal views of immigration.

The question will be how well they can "tame" the TP amongst them during the primaries.

edit on 4-2-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:01 PM
link   

At this point it doesn't make a difference, the right-wingers will chop themselves up in the primaries because of too-many-candidateitis. Paul, Rubio, Cruz, Carson, Huckabee, Perry, and more are going to run just to get their names and faces into public consciousness, and will split the conservative vote. Bush will have the establishment and less-conservative GOP voters, which will be more than the rightists individually. If all of them got together in a smoke filled room (depending on what was making the smoke) they could all get behind, say, Paul, and beat Bush easily. But with everyone running all over the place Bush will be laughing all the way to the bank (and with the bankers).

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

I think the implication is that if Jeb is nominated to be the candidate....he'll lose because a lot of the Repub base will stay home. But...that's o.k.

This is really a generational type thing. The older white conservative population will be deader than a hammer in 30 years and none of this will make any difference.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Jeb has always been like the black sheep of the Bush family.

When he was the goober of flori-duh he was liberal in comparison to conservative republicans.

He's like the Diet Coke of Republicans. Not conservative enough.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Jeb Bush has no chance! He has too much Bush baggage and though early on may have the money on his side I think for the Pubs it will boil down to Walker, Cruz, or Rubio!

Pubs need polarity to Hillary not familiar to!

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Looks like Jeb just got enough votes to win.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

It's a gamble. The anti-amnesty/immigration segment of the right wing is larger than the Hispanic vote...and the anti-amnesty/immigration folks will either embrace hypocrisy and vote Jeb or not vote.

It will be interesting...

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: sirlancelot
Jeb Bush has no chance! He has too much Bush baggage and though early on may have the money on his side I think for the Pubs it will boil down to Walker, Cruz, or Rubio!

Pubs need polarity to Hillary not familiar to!

You really aren't accounting for the selective memory loss the majority of US citizens have when it comes election time.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

Not from Hispanics he didn't. Do you honestly think the Latinos are going to vote for a Republican after the way the GOP has treated them. Big bucks for the Corporations but Min. wage for the workers...do you think they won't remember who the party was that kept their wages down?

www.latinodecisions.com...

But all that doesn't matter....he has been chosen by the neocons, just like Obama was.
edit on 4-2-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Yes they will vote for Jeb.

posted on Feb, 4 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
While I agree with him about dreamers, another of his remarks in there was quite shocking. He suggested (rhetorically) that we replace the white people of detroit (I didn't know there were any) with hispanics to allegedly boost the economy.

If anyone can read that and still think that white America isn't under attack they're deluded. Politicians want immigration to get a bunch of cheap labor and people that they think they can give hardly anything to and they won't fight against them.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010
I knew he was just another R.I.N.O. How dare he talk like that. Doesn't he know that the millions of illegals streaming across the border will destroy this nation?

They likely will. The problem is you can not get elected any more unless you give them freebies and destroy the middle class.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 01:43 AM
link   

The Bush legacy has always enabled illegal aliens. Just after Bush Jr was elected they came pouring in by the hordes. They are for cheap labor for big coroparations , driving down wages and threw the middle blue collar working class under the bus .

Do conservatives have the memory of a goldfish ? It boggles my mind when they assume the Bush family hold conservative values and have the best interest in mind. Conservatives are so pro ruling class when most are not part of it and yet have such malice toward the poor. Ill never understand why other than a common biggotry and misconceptions shared among them . It is nauseating.

Seems they also have amnesia when it also comes the grandpa Nazi.

Just to be clear im not a liberal before the right wingers roast me. Im not foolish enough to fall in to the two party illusion of free choice. That makes a "commie" I guess.

posted on Feb, 5 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: DarthFazer

Well that speaks a little to the rapidity in which the Far Right swaps banners..after all the TP began as a movement opposing the bailouts of banks and corporations and now represent corporations and banks.

And of course "Born In Kenya" "Black Agendist" "Muslim Sympathizer" "Communist" are somewhat interchangeable with Illegal Immigration lover...on the Xenophobic spectrum...

Perhaps the truth is closer to anyone but "That Man"...So the anti-immigration Banner of the right-wing might be quickly abandoned or traded when faced with Jeb as an option....like it has with many other contrived issues.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:20 PM
link   
jeb bush is just like obama. he cares more about immigrants and muslims and Israelis then everyday americans.

posted on Feb, 7 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Good no one party should have all The power, we saw how well that worked out with Aca rimmed down our throats.

The gop is highly likely to do something equally stupid if they held all the power.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join