It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terrorism-related charges laid against Ottawa men with alleged ISIS ties

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
www.cbc.ca...

Three Ottawa men were charged Tuesday by the RCMP Integrated National Security Enforcement Team with taking part in activities related to financial and ideological support of ISIS, the jihadist group that controls large regions in Iraq and Syria.

The charges against Awso Peshdary, John (Yahya) Maguire and Khadar Khalib include conspiracy to facilitate a terrorist act, knowingly participating in the activities of a terror group and counselling a person to knowingly participate in a terrorist activity.

Peshdary, 25, was taken into custody earlier today in Ottawa. Maguire, 24, and Khalib, 23, are being charged in absentia.

Home grown extremist
ISIS is too close to home! They are more radical than Al Qaeda. Let's hope that all the Big Brother watching here in the US will at least thrawt these guys since it seems the internet has been a great tool at bringing out these extremist who just love to make Youtube videos, sending out tweets, while posting on Facebook.

I'm not from Canada so I have a question, does their gov't spy on their citizens like their allies? My guess is yes.
edit on 3-2-2015 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

I'm not from Canada so I have a question, does their gov't spy on their citizens like their allies? My guess is yes.

Well, according to Snowden, Canada is part of the "5 eyes". So yes, Canada does it's fair share of spying on civilians. Additionally, our Prime Minister is currently trying to pass legislation to further the government's surveillance capabilities. It is a subject that is causing a fairly deep divide among those who are even aware of it.

I myself am somewhat torn. On the one hand, I despise Islamic extremists, and I feel like they need to be dealt with not only abroad, but here at home. But on the other hand, I believe in civil liberties and freedom. It's a fine line we are being forced to walk. In the end, I feel like we are letting terrorists win if we allow our freedoms to be infringed upon. Perhaps we could start by looking at revising our immigration policies before we implement legislation that could be detrimental to law abiding citizens.

new topics

join