It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas is solely responsible for the +1.2M net US job increase?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Now that the boom is dying, that isn't really true anymore.

Please extrapolate.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Yes, oil workers in West Texas are starting to lose their jobs. However, there is a silver lining: Construction Dive, a construction company, is lining up to hire these laid off workers. And at $50,000 a year. That's awesome!

www.constructiondive.com...

Texas really does have a big heart. I am proud to be a resident!

edit on 26-1-2015 by texasgirl because: Added more

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: texasgirl

Let me ask you a question.... how do these construction companies compete with illegal immigrant workers?

They may be advertising this but are they actually following through?

50k a year isnt that bad but its also not that great anymore, pretty soon they will move the poverty line closer to that number.
edit on 1/26/2015 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: texasgirl

Let me ask you a question.... how do these construction companies compete with illegal immigrant workers?

They may be advertising this but are they actually following through?

50k a year isnt that bad but its also not that great anymore, pretty soon they will move the poverty line closer to that number.

I honestly don't know about the illegal immigrants in west Texas. I live in Dallas. Maybe because they're saying they need highly skilled workers and oil workers qualify for these positions?

However, I think $50,000 is pretty good for Texas considering our low cost of living here.

My brother was out of work in California for 4 years until I convinced him to move to Dallas. He got a job right away. He was also amazed at how great the cost of living is here. Unfortunately, because he worked for IBM, he just got laid off. (See other thread)

As far as this construction company hiring oil people...I believe it. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
edit on 26-1-2015 by texasgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Now that the boom is dying, that isn't really true anymore.

Please extrapolate.

If the rigs aren't out drilling, then there aren't as many jobs to go around.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 12:58 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

First off...hat tip to Texas..

Now for some clarity...Perry compared two different employment measures.

A little more: The BLS says the definition of employment in the federal household survey, which the governor relied on for his comparison, "comprises wage and salary workers (including domestics and other private household workers), self-employed persons and unpaid workers who worked 15 hours or more during the reference week in family-operated enterprises. Employment in both agricultural and nonagricultural industries is included." In contrast, the government's oft-quoted payroll survey of employers "covers only wage and salary employees on the payrolls of nonfarm establishments."

Cooper of EPI commented to us that the timeframe singled out by the governor may deliver a more glowing contrast for Texas than other periods. According to the government’s payroll surveys, he said, the country has added 9.1 million jobs since June 2009, the acknowledged end of the national recession, with Texas accounting for 1.5 million of the additions. Significantly, he said, the rest of the country as a whole lost jobs from June 2009 until February 2010. Since then, he said, the U.S. has added more than 10 million jobs with Texas (again) accounting for more than 1 million of them.

www.politifact.com...

That said, and affording he compared two different employment measures and cherry picked the most favorable time period...Perry spoke truth and Texas is/was doing well and more so than much of the country.

And of course it is a product of the US home grown energy revolution. Now lets see if we can survive OPEC finally taking a swing at us.

As I read..OPEC has been clear about their intention to keep prices low for anywhere from 6 months - 3 years...however long it takes to rob US investors of a near term return on their venture money + burn them thoroughly enough where they won't re-invest in the future now that they know OPEC will not hesitate to slap down the price and eliminate $ returns if the US Local market gets going again. OPEC has the money to outlast US Investors...by a large stretch.

The only solution to the present scenario is technological advancement that affords us to source oil cheaper and consume oil more efficiently...and as much as is feasible keep that technology at home...which means Gov. investment in advanced technology in the energy industry, cuz private firms will sell the tech to the middle east.

We can't go toe to toe with OPEC in raw dollars, they will and are crushing US Investors in home grown energy right now. We need to use our natural advantage...innovation in the Tech Sector to afford US Investors in Home Grown Oil a greater return.

just my 2 cents.

edit on 26-1-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Check!

Check!

Check and Double Check! A Texas "10" is a whole-nother level!

If anybody out there has plans on comin' this way, just a bit of advice...
Jesus Christ, Davy Crockett, Tom Landry, Stevie Ray Vaughn, and Barbque

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: wastedown

you forgot ZZ Top, the Winter brothers Johnny and Edgar, Roy Orbison,Don Henley,Steve Miller,Boz Scaggs
really a lot of great musicians came from texas. more than many people realize.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

The governor in Texas is ornamental. The real power, the person who really makes things happen in Texas, in the Lt. Governor. And the Railroad Commissioner.

Perry can take credit for having helmet hair. That is about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

50k a year away from the over priced coasts is more than enough to live on.

Both coasts cola is so far out of whack it's terrifying to me.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Yeah if the market is not falsely inflated 50k a year is fantastic but if the current trends continue when is 50k a year going to be poverty level?

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
Texas, the ‘great American job machine,’ is solely responsible for the +1.2M net US job increase since 2007

Is it though?

The myth's behind energy, Texas and job creation

The reports on which these claims are based are biased and full of analytical errors. Making matters worse, they both come from think tanks that specialize in slanted economic analysis. As the saying goes, torture the data long enough and it will confess to anything.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

originally posted by: xuenchen
Texas, the ‘great American job machine,’ is solely responsible for the +1.2M net US job increase since 2007

Is it though?

The myth's behind energy, Texas and job creation

The reports on which these claims are based are biased and full of analytical errors. Making matters worse, they both come from think tanks that specialize in slanted economic analysis. As the saying goes, torture the data long enough and it will confess to anything.

Ill tell you, until there are specific allegations of where the viewpoint is wrong, questioning the source doesn't seem to be valid.

All sources are slanted, i guess. But living in West Texas and seeing 18 year olds driving $70k trucks....I have no reason to doubt the report.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Illegal Aliens cannot get Texas oil jobs. You have to have a TWIC card government ID to work in any oil or refinery job due to state laws against terrorism. And pass a government background check.

posted on Jan, 26 2015 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: texasyeti

LOL...government background check?

Nah...maybe random drug tests (wink, wink). But other than that....felons gotta earn a living, too.

As far as illegals go...it has gotten very hard to hire anyone that isn't legal. Although until E-Verify becomes the law of the land, it can still happen if they have a spoofed SSN.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join