It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thomas Ligotti - Any similar authors you know of?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Hello, first thread...

I'm simply trying to gather up any recommendations of authors that are comparable in subject matter, genre ( philosophical horror) or anxiety-ridden literary style, to one of my absolute favorite writers. Any suggestions?

If you aren't familiar with Ligotti, a good starting point would be his collection entitled Teatro Grottesco. Seems to be well received by most readers new to his work. If puppets don't weird you out, they will after you read this.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

Maybe try William Burrroughs Naked Lunch? I think the term "philosophical horror" is a good description of that novel.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Check out Eugene Thacker or E. M. Cioran

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I'm a big fan of Ligotti myself...I've heard good things about Eugene Thacker and I just got In The Dust of This Planet, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Looking forward to it though. I've got no other suggestions really add to the thread, myself, since you already mentioned Thacker. Ligotti is such a unique author it's hard to think of other authors similar to him. I'll have to check out Cioran though....I haven't heard of him before.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   
a reply to: bhornbuckle75

I've introduced a couple of horror fans to Ligotti that actually took the time to read some of his work and both said something along the lines of "This creeps me out too much to keep reading."

Thanks for the suggestions, to my knowledge I've never read any Cioran although the name is ringing a (distant) bell.

top topics

join