It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russian Spy Ship Docked In Cuba on Eve of US/Cuba Talks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   
So, today they(Russian Intel) are going and installing listening devices near where the talks are held? Why would they be so blatant about it? Just found this a little odd, what does ATS think?

Havana (AFP) - A Russian intelligence warship docked in Havana on Tuesday, a day before the start of historic US-Cuba talks aimed at normalizing diplomatic relations.

There was nothing stealthy about the arrival of the Viktor Leonov CCB-175, which was moored to a pier in Old Havana where cruise ships often dock. But the visit was not officially announced by Cuban authorities.

US officials in Washington played down the presence of the Russian vessel, saying it was perfectly legal and not at all out of the ordinary.

"It's not unprecedented. It's not unusual. It's not alarming," a defense official told AFP.
news.yahoo.com...
edit on 20-1-2015 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-1-2015 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman

It's expected. The amount of radio traffic alone they can try to monitor is astronomical. That's not even getting into all the other SIGINT they can get their hands on.

I'm sure the U.S. has had a team from Centra Spike/Cemetery Wind/whatever their current name is down there for a couple of days already, too.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I personally believe that IF listening devices were going to be installed the presence of a Russian naval vessel would have nothing to do with such a task. It would be done by an agent on the inside, and I'm sure there are multiple non-official cover operatives present, or undercover spies, as opposed to officially-sanctioned embassy spies. All nations know that any nation with an embassy in their country will have spies working there. It goes with the territory, but I don't know if they would task such an agent with installing listening devices. Russia has a strange-looking embassy building in Havana. I think that the presence of the Russian ship, if it was planned because of these talks, was meant to send a message that Russia is paying close attention. But the ship can legally be there, so there might be nothing strange going on at all. If there is something going on though, I do not think it would have to do with infiltrating the talks, either directly or indirectly. It would be too conspicuous, and that is a bad way to perform espionage.
edit on 1/20/15 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

No one beats the American surveillance abilities and signals intelligence.

That is not something Americans should be proud of. That is just one reason world hates the US. 1 out of 1000

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: JiggyPotamus
I personally believe that IF listening devices were going to be installed the presence of a Russian naval vessel would have nothing to do with such a task. It would be done by an agent on the inside, and I'm sure there are multiple non-official cover operatives present, or undercover spies, as opposed to officially-sanctioned embassy spies. All nations know that any nation with an embassy in their country will have spies working there. It goes with the territory, but I don't know if they would task such an agent with installing listening devices. Russia has a strange-looking embassy building in Havana. I think that the presence of the Russian ship, if it was planned because of these talks, was meant to send a message that Russia is paying close attention. But the ship can legally be there, so there might be nothing strange going on at all. If there is something going on though, I do not think it would have to do with infiltrating the talks, either directly or indirectly. It would be too conspicuous, and that is a bad way to perform espionage.

I agree with you. I do not think they would be so obvious. I guess it was just crazy timing that the talks were scheduled for tomorrow. Also, I agree, the US is far superior to any other countries intelligence agency for sure.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Why would they be so blatant about it?

Mainly it is them saying to those involved...we are going to listen to your meetings and there is nothing you can do about it.

Pretty much the way they have been doing things lately it seems.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: thesmokingman

I agree, the US is far superior to any other countries intelligence agency for sure.

I think Mossad would give them a run for their money. And don't be too dismissive of the modern day KGB. And of course the UK has MI6 and of course most famously James Bond 007

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The usual game of spy vs. spy just like the old cold war days ..

Besides the russian ship captain had to give the crew something to keep occupied while he went ashore to get cigars .. otherwise theyd have all gone to the local bars to drink and sing russian songs ...

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

Besides the russian ship captain had to give the crew something to keep occupied while he went ashore to get cigars .. otherwise theyd have all gone to the local bars to drink and sing russian songs ...

Please. Everybody knows Russians don't drink at all. Especially the navy. And singing? My god.

Next you'll be claiming they wear striped under shirts

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Russian girls wear striped bras ..

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wirral Bagpuss

originally posted by: thesmokingman

I agree, the US is far superior to any other countries intelligence agency for sure.

I think Mossad would give them a run for their money. And don't be too dismissive of the modern day KGB. And of course the UK has MI6 and of course most famously James Bond 007

Fun fact
MI6 is not actually called that but SIS

And yeahthey would give the CIA a run for its money which is why the CIA use them alot lol
Also helps GCHQ and NSA are joined at the hip so basicaly useing the same signal and comms resources.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Expat888

Wait...they wear bras?!?

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Probably one of the less stressful assignments.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I wrote a thread a few years back about "The Thing" which was planted in the U.S. presidential seal. It was a harmonic tuning device that vibrates to voices and the Russians were able to tune into its frequency to listen to what was going on in the presidents office. Wonder if they are still using the same technology?

The Great Seal Bug Story

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888

Absolutely agree with point one. The difference is that we now hear about this stuff.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

Why would they be so blatant about it?

Mainly it is them saying to those involved...we are going to listen to your meetings and there is nothing you can do about it.

Pretty much the way they have been doing things lately it seems.

For goodness sake, this is just another G8 conference by proxy even, or who knows maybe Putin's on board. Like I mean Putin was in Ireland's G8 was he not? Suspended but not expelled...ooooh! WTF is that supposed to mean. Does nobody get it? These people break bread together every day, while looking cross, bewildered or abandoned for the media. Strewth!!
edit on 20-1-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:45 PM
link   
I don't think Russians would be bugging buildings in Havana...they would just ask Cuba for copies of tapes from their bugs!

I'm sure the ship can pick up a ton of sigint just from sitting at the dock anyway.

Most likely it is a way of Cuba letting Russia be in on the whole process so they don't get upset and think Cuba is switching sides. I'm sure there are Russian planners that are not happy about the thawing of relations between Cuba and the US.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

Russia wasn't suspended from the G8 until March 2014 while the Ireland G8 meeting was in 2013.

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Alchemst7

The Seal with the listening device hung in the Ambassador's residence as well as in the Embassy...not the President's office!

posted on Jan, 20 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

It could just have been away to remind the U.S. that Russia still has strong economic ties with Cuba. Also a show of force that Russia has Cuba's back.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join