It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anybody ever get carded for a lighter?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I was at a KMART store yesterday and attempted to buy a pack of three (3) small BIC lighters. The cashier asked for my DOB, I laughed and said I was nearly 50 years old. She replied that she could not sell me the lighters without my DOB. I asked for a manager. The manager told me it was the law. At that point I lost it, used a few choice words, and was asked to leave.

Wow! What is this country coming too?

I will not submit to any false authority that tells me to produce ID to buy a cigarette lighter! I will buy them on-line with Bitcoin before I do that. Is this just KMART or have other people experienced this else where?

If this is a "law" I'd like to see it. My search reveals nothing.

www.fda.gov...

edit on 19-1-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:20 PM
link   
That's another way liberals get you to quit smoking. Unless it's marijuana, that's fine.
And don't drink a 24oz cola either fatty!
Frickin nanny state raising wimps...
Sorry, I ranted on your rant.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: wasaka

I got carded for matches once...

I just walked out laughing

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

It's been like this since at least the 90s where I am at. And it's any store. Used to need lighters at lunchtime when we would go off campus to "eat lunch."

We were not 18. Made it a little hard.

Similar with cough syrup for under 18.

I'm almost sure these aren't laws.. But what it is is that no one has to sell you things.. It's free market huh huh??

edit on 19-1-2015 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

news to me, I don't have any kmarts close by so I don 't shop there.... here is a thread from another site..

www.topix.com...

someone got carded at the seven 11 in los angeles and 2 parents at a campsite, they were really dirty and sent their kid in to buy some lighters to use at the campsite (not for smoking cigs) kid was denied. that was in arkansas

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This isn't a new thing.
Also, I used to work at a store that if we scanned whipped cream (that came in an aerosol can) we had to ask for an ID. It's a lot of dumb little things. I didn't know why it was like that, but then it dawned on me that kids are stupid and ruin things for everyone.

They shouldn't have needed to ID you, but if there was a kid behind you that was also attempted to buy a lighter, they have to set an example. They can't just 'ID them.' It's ID everyone, or no one.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:34 PM
link   
DOB

Most places I go where that's 'required' the cashiers usually look up at me then don't bother asking and just type in something to answer the stupid question programmed to pop up on their screen.

Grey chin whiskers

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I got carded for spray paint at Wal-Mart, I thought it was odd, the clerk said it's because kids huff the fumes.
I told her it was a good thing that I'm 39, because I huff the fumes also

edit on 19-1-2015 by NotMoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I got carded here in florida for a lighter at a circle K. I thought only tobacco and alcohol had an age requirement i got really pissed off when they wouldnt sell me a lighter too.

I wasnt even purchasing tobacco products or alcohol.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Of course it is the liberals that did it!

This has been this way for at least a decade.

OP don't get why you are mad that the person is just doing their job, they could lose theirs if they don't do what is required of them.

It's not your right to buy a lighter.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Around here, if you buy any restricted item at a gas station (Bic razors and lighters included...) they not only card you, but it has to be an in-state ID, and they have to scan the ridiculous bar code on the back. (PDF-417)
Because my ID lives in a wallet in my pants and I do more than just sit on a couch when I get out of work, the barcode on mine is rather unscannable after all these years.

I can no longer purchase beer at most gas stations because of this.

For fun, I just cleaned up the license with soap and water and was able to read this barcode on the back with an android application....

it includes not only my full name and address, but also a whole lot of text that doesn't mean anything to me. 12 lines of what appear to be some sort of codes, including one very long serial number.
There is also a regular barcode below this one with a shorter serial number looking thing.

edit:
upon further inspection...
-unknown line
full name
full adress
state
zip
-unknown line
-unknown line
-unknown line
date of license expiration
date of birth
-unknown line
date of license issued
height
weight
eye color
hair color

Pretty fancy barcode.
edit on 19-1-2015 by lordcomac because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Of course it is the liberals that did it!

This has been this way for at least a decade.

OP don't get why you are mad that the person is just doing their job, they could lose theirs if they don't do what is required of them.

It's not your right to buy a lighter.

My anger was expressed at the manager, not the clerk, and only after she lied (saying it was "the law").

edit on 19-1-2015 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I binged "carded for a lighter" and many people have been. The date of these postings was August of 2008.

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
That's another way liberals get you to quit smoking.

Is EVERYTHING about politics and slamming the "other side" to you? Yeah... it's all Obama's fault.

Looks like a state thing.

It
is unlawful for any person under the age of 18 years to purchase, receive, or
possess any tobacco product or paraphernalia.
Citation: California Penal Code Section 308(b

California Penal Code 308b
edit on 1/19/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

It probably is the law, if not of the state then the law of her employer.

Lighters are not used for much other then smoking, which no one under 18 can do legally.

What is so hard about giving a DOB and being on your way?

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

It probably is the law, if not of the state then the law of her employer.

Lighters are not used for much other then smoking, which no one under 18 can do legally.

What is so hard about giving a DOB and being on your way?

Why don't Mexicans just show some id in Arizona and just be on their way? That should not be to hard.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Why yes, yes I was. My Zippo ran out of fluid while I was out, so I ran in to buy a Bic. Got carded. Left the counter, came back with a bottle of fluid instead. Same cashier was apparently unaware that she could card me for the fluid, also.

So much for being a stickler.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I got carded once at a 7-11 for a lighter. No cigs or alcohol, just a lighter. That was the first, and so far only, time. I just laughed at how ridiculous it was.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Wow. Sounds like you ran into someone with an authority complex. Do you often buy lighters without issue?

I work for a small chain of locally owned c-stores. Had a co-worker (assistant manager, actually) who, at 23, is five years younger than me ask "Hey, do I ID for lighters?"

My answer: "Last time i looked in the dictionary, this was America. So no, somebody wants to buy a lighter, let 'em."

"Yeah but I heard you have to be at least 12."

Me: "So.... uh.... How exactly would you go about proving that you're 12... when you don't get a Driver's License/Learner's Permit til at least 15 and 1/2 Years old?"

I then heard a stream of "yeah, but" and "well, what ifs" that ended in non-sensical gibberish, and a slow retreat.

Um.... wow. Just wow.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Probably an automated prompt at the register. For instance, the store I work at uses a register system thats probably 20 years old.

It requires an entry of DOB on beer and cigarettes. For whatever reason, it doesn't prompt on smokeless tobacco (dip) or cigars, which is still just as illegal for a minor to buy.

And in my area (OK) we get far far more kids trying to buy Copenhagen underage than cigarettes.

posted on Jan, 19 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I just wanted to let you know that I tweeted your rant on our Twitter feed today, with the image below, and so far it's our best-performing tweet of the day -- by a big margin.

This is rather absurd.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join