It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House Passes DHS Funding Bill That Prohibits Obama's Unilateral Amnesty

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The U.S. House of Representatives has passed the controversial DHS funding bill that does include an amendment to stop Obama's funding of some illegal immigrant status that would delay deportation.

Obama recently used Executive Memoranda to bypass Congress.

If the Senate passes this bill without removing that Amendment, Obama will be on the spot.

Obama can't veto portions of bills, he would have to veto the whole thing and send it back to Congress.

Current DHS funding expires at the end of February.

Scramble Scramble.

What will happen?

(CNSNews.com) - The U.S. House of Representatives voted 236 to 191 today to approve a Department of Homeland Security funding bill that prohibits the Executive Branch from taking action to carry out the unilateral amnesty for illegal aliens that President Barack Obama ordered in December.

The bill includes an amendment sponsored by Rep. Robert Aderholt (R.-Ala.), that prohibits any agency of the federal government from using any funds to carry out the immigration actions that Obama has ordered under memoranda issued by himself and his subordinates.

The amendment begins:

"No funds, resources, or fees made available to the Secretary of Homeland Security, or to any other official of a Federal agency, by this Act or any other Act for any fiscal year, including any deposits into the 'Immigration Examinations Fee Account' established under section 286)(m) of teh Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1356(m)), may be used to implement, administer, enforce, or carry out (including through the issuance of regulations) any of the policy changes set forth in the following memoranda (or any substantially similar policy changes issued or taken on or after January 9, 2015, whether set forth in memorandum, Executive order, regulation directive or any action):"

The amendment then lists fifteen memoranda issued by President Obama, the secretary of DHS, the director of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, the principal legal adviser to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. These memoranda were the devices by which the administration was moving forward with the president's executive action on immigration that reportedly would have allowed as many as five million illegal aliens to stay in the United States.

Article:
House Passes DHS Funding Bill That Prohibits Obama's Unilateral Amnesty

The entire H.R. 240:
H.R.240.IH

What Will Obama Do Now?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I better go get some Dramamine for the spin Obama will put on this. He'll veto the whole thing and find some way to blame Republicans for a bad bill.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I don't see this even passing the senate, if it does then it'll get vetoed. Not sure what Republicans are trying to accomplish here.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
I better go get some Dramamine for the spin Obama will put on this. He'll veto the whole thing and find some way to blame Republicans for a bad bill.

And part of his "veto plan" might be to allow the DHS to "shut down" (at least partly) and allow more unchecked border crossings.

The perfect excuse to continue the onslaught.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
I don't see this even passing the senate, if it does then it'll get vetoed. Not sure what Republicans are trying to accomplish here.

Well you could be right about the Senate.

But why would they not pass it?

Better yet, who would lead the opposition?

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
The funny thing is that even if funding for DHS runs out as a result of this and shuts down, the agency responsible for executing the president's executive action would still be able to function because it relies on funding from fees instead of government funding.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This really puts Dems in a bind with the folks back home.I think it will pass in the Senate.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf
This really puts Dems in a bind with the folks back home.I think it will pass in the Senate.

It MIGHT pass the senate but it will get vetoed by the president for sure.

If this game continues and DHS shuts down, USCIS the agency within DHS would continue to operate the same because it relies on funding from fees such as application fees instead of funding from congress.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sunwolf

It MIGHT pass the senate but it will get vetoed by the president for sure.

If this game continues and DHS shuts down, USCIS the agency within DHS would continue to operate the same because it relies on funding from fees such as application fees instead of funding from congress.

Good. Let Obama own his stupidity by using his veto.

He is a horrible president.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Was that an accurate post of the wording in this bill? How could they have left such a glaring typo in there?

including any deposits into the 'Immigration Examinations Fee Account' established under section 286)(m) of teh Immigration and Nationality Act

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

It's called a President, not a king, or dictator. Maybe they are trying to accomplish some checks and balances?

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:29 AM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

If the bill doesn't pass and no CR is in place by the end of February, then DHS Depts will shutdown. That said, it's not a true shutdown in that they aren't shutting off the lights, locking the doors and going home.

Each Dept would look at civilian personnel and determine who is essential and/or non-essential. Operators are always essential while admin/clerical types are not.

Those in uniform (I.e. Coast Guard) will remain on duty.

Last shut down wasn't that bad. In fact it showed that the govt does not really need the number of personnel to operate. Shut it down!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
This is a fantastic example of why we need the line item veto. Holding key legislation hostage so that your party can get a partisan victory is such an awful idea. I don't even agree with Obama's executive order for immigration, but this is sick.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

He will veto it, blame congress, while continuing his illegal and unconstitutional executive orders / memo actions.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Not to come off rude, but they are doing the job they were hired/elected to do. The American people for the most part don't want a King ruling them, making laws or breaking laws based on personal opinion and ignoring the will of the citizens of this country. We elected these "republicans" to fight against the unlawful tirade of this president who has decided to just do what he wants...and ignore us and our representatives. Obama is basically a lone-wolf terrorist fighting the wishes of the American people. Or at least a large percentage of them.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 04:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
This is a fantastic example of why we need the line item veto. Holding key legislation hostage so that your party can get a partisan victory is such an awful idea. I don't even agree with Obama's executive order for immigration, but this is sick.

They can't fight a president who has no respect for the law or the wishes of the American citizens without getting their hands a little dirty and fighting fire with fire. They are doing what they were put there to do. For a change...our representatives are actually doing something we hired them to do. So for the most part...I'm happy.

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Effing hilarious!!!!

For YEARS the LEFT says they hated DHS.

The right tries to shut it down, and now it's evil republicans!!!!

You can not make this snip up!

Aint American politics great ?

posted on Jan, 16 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Despite Republicans being a minority in the Senate last year, he tried blaming them for nothing getting through congress. Now if he vetoes this, all the fault will be on him and him alone.

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:18 PM
link   

This is my concern!

Not a lot of people realize that DHS is over the Coast Guard. If the Coast Guard shuts down, we might have ISIS headed for every Atlantic port in the Eastern Seaboard - down thru Florida. (THAT would certainly create a nightmare-invasion scenario, as Team Obama finally gets that "unnamed disaster" in order to declare Martial Law ...)

www.breitbart.com...
ITALY AND EGYPT ALREADY FLOODED WITH LIBYAN REFUGEES - FEAR ISIS TERRORISTS HIDDEN WITHIN

Even with our military in the Mediterrean, ISIS could be headed for South and Central America right now, to wait for the Coast Guard shut-down.

edit on 20-2-2015 by MKMoniker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 20 2015 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MKMoniker

Coast Guard is A MILITARY branch DHS isn't in their command structure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join