It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Church Age believers are priests, so why do Catholics ordaine their own priests?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: jmdewey60
The Church is not an "AA" meating. The Church is a body of believers who worship/serve God and learn the mind of Christ. To confess your dirty laundry to the church is unethical. Our sins should be kept between the individual and God. Sins that overtly involve other individuals should first be confessed to God, since all tresspasses are against God, then confession and amends can be made for forgineness between the individuals involved. If you take your dirty laundry to church, you're bound to cause someone to stumble.

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
a reply to: BELIEVERpriest

To confess your dirty laundry to the church is unethical.
According to what code of ethics?

I would suggest that it is very much like AA in that there is a built-in incentive not to have "dirty laundry", so as 1 John says, the communion cup of the blood of Christ (in church) is what saves us.

But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.

The Church is a body of believers . . .
What is your definition of "body"?
from Free Dictionary:
4. A number of persons, concepts, or things regarded as a group: We walked out in a body.

How do you get from that, to isolated individuals constituting a body?
edit on 22-1-2015 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2015 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Let's start a thread on it so we don't hijack this one.
Yes, go ahead and show how the Pharisees were really Roman agents.

And why shouldn't they have a temple? Is it going to burden you?
Because it is ludicrous from a Christian point of view, and from a practical perspective and disgusting from a modern humanist point of view, and a cause for much war and death and needless suffering just to inflate a few people's egos to play dress-up.

How does any of that somehow "serve" God?
edit on 22-1-2015 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 06:54 AM
link   
(Hebrews 13:17)
"Obey your leaders and defer to them, for they keep watch over you and will
have to give an account, that they may fulfill their task with joy and not with sorrow, for that would be of no advantage to you"

Who are these leaders? It's not the apostles, the writer would have certainly stated so. And they're not Jewish high priests. That's the old law, and that's done. New Covenant. New Law. New sheriff in town. And the sheriff is gone, he left for heaven.

And what is their task that must be fulfilled? Since we know they're not the Jewish High Priests, this letter is all about the NEW High Priest, Jesus...and His emerging Church.

Who is the new posse? The new leaders? The Pope, Bishops, priests and deacons, that's who. And With apostolic authority, through apostolic succession....until the present day.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Ignatian

That passage has nothing to do with the catholic leadership, its talking about national leaders.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Postscript.

And All Christians "obeyed". Until October 31st, 1517. (Halloween, how apropos lol). The date of the beginning of The Protestant Deformation. And look at the havoc wrought by the greatest heretic that ever darkened the doors of Christianity. Truly heart wrenching.

Come home. Come home to The Catholic Church. The Church that Jesus started by handing The Keys to Saint Peter. Cephas. The Rock.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:04 AM
link   
How do you know? Show me your proof, the scripture. You're making it up. You have zero authority.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:05 AM
link   
The national leaders were The Roman Empire. Romans were "looking out" for early Christians? Hmmm, ya sure?

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Come home. Come home to The Catholic Church. The Church that Jesus started . . .
This rhetoric seems awfully familiar to me.
Are you sure that you are not a banned former member with a new account? Just wondering.
Do you have an actual history that explains your whereabouts before your current join date?

Anyway, handing the keys just means a symbolic demise of the former custodians of the temple, the same as it is described in the Old Testament just before the earlier temple was destroyed by the Babylonians.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ignatian
How do you know? Show me your proof, the scripture. You're making it up. You have zero authority.

"Pray for us, for we are sure that we have a good conscience, desiring to conduct ourselves honorably in all things." Heb 13:19

This is about authority in general, whether its the police, your mom, the presbyrtary, or the legal system. Show me where it says Catholic authority. It doesnt, because you made that assumption.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

So because the Roman leaders where sometimes unjust, christians had the right to disobey? Thats not what Jesus taught. He obeyed unto death.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   
It's not rhetoric, its Truth.

The first reaction to Truth is anger. Chill out brother.

Ya, I was here in the past, under a different name. That was before my conversion, and I rarely posted anyway. However, I never would have stepped foot into a faith/religeon forum then. Waste of time, in that lifetime. I was a UFO junkie then. (Ok maybe still am just a little). It's hard not to be a UFO nut, if you've seen half a dozen of them, and your dad chased one as a military pilot.

Ask a mod to look me up, if it makes you feel better. Whoever this boogieman from your past may be, I doubt he's losing any sleep over it.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Keys are a symbol of authority. Freshman theology.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   
This post means absolutely nothing. If you don't have an answer, then just don't answer. It's ok, I understand.

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:08 PM
link   
You're swinging at a piñata here. And missing horribly. Peace brother!

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Keys are a symbol of authority. . .
Maybe in some cultures, but biblically, it is the job of the custodian who locks the place up at nigh.

edit on 24-1-2015 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   

. . . and I rarely posted anyway.
OK, I was just wondering because there was someone posting here in the past that kept telling people that God wants them to become Catholic.

It's not rhetoric, its Truth.
Apostolic succession in the Catholic Church is a myth since all the people who would fit that description were killed in the anti-Arian wars and they had to recruit priests from the pagan religions to fill all the slots from the deposed priesthood who were judged to be heretical.

edit on 24-1-2015 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ignatian
You're swinging at a piñata here. And missing horribly. Peace brother!

Really, how so? Because the last time I checked, I was able to back up each and every one of my points clearly with scripture. Its you that seem to be feeling your way around with the catholic blindfold tied too tight. Bless your heart, homie.
edit on 24-1-2015 by BELIEVERpriest because: n

posted on Jan, 24 2015 @ 03:42 PM
link   

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11 >>

join