It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Radio DJs and talk show hosts I have Questions about starting a station just for fun!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   
My nephew and I were talking over Christmas break about starting an internet radio station just for fun. He's an interesting kiddo with a great taste in music (Beatles oh yeah), has a quick whit, and is an avid gamer. I just wanted to open the door to a new hobby for him and when I mentioned it he seemed really interested.

I figure there are several ATSers who have their own shows. I wanted to narrow my research here with a few questions you all may have answers to.

I want to start with a Free web hosting site. What are the good ones?

I want to be able to play commercial music without having to worry about licensing/copyright. I was thinking there may be a hosting site that circumvents the licensing by linking it a source where you can buy it, such as iTunes or Amazon, much in the way I see it on YouTube now - does that create a fair-use gateway?

Anyway, any personal experience you have with this and links to your stations would be really helpful!

We may only have 2 listeners (me and him), so I want us to have a free platform to make some noise on as we start out.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Don't know if this helps but Blog Talk Radio is a decent site. I think it might be free also.
www.blogtalkradio.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: raedar

You cannot broadcast copyrighted music for free. You cannot circumvent the law.
Thats how the law stands on it. If you want to broadcast music, the copyright holders want their royalty payment.
In the UK even companies that play the radio in the workplace have to have a license to do so.
Since hip hop and the lucrative incomes from sample copyrights became such a beast in the 90's, copyright law has gotten more and more in favour of the huge corporations and very rich individuals that own all those copyrights.
The laws are getting pretty draconian, and are being used as justification to clamp down on the freedom of information that the internet provides.
I wouldnt even go there.
If you want to do that you will have to get a license to do so.

In the UK its handled by PRS.
In the US i think its ASCAP or BMI.

For a talk show you dont need any of that, but you do need the people talking.
Just having an hour on loop for a week isnt conducive to a good audience grabber. You need content. Im being extreme with my example, but just trying to point out it takes a bit of work and a good hook. A theme. It will take some work and is a little bit of a commitment. Not to be taken lightly.
edit on 20151America/Chicago01pm1pmWed, 14 Jan 2015 13:57:07 -06000115 by OneManArmy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Circumvent is definitely the wrong word.

I figured that in this modern age there were hosting sites that would cover the copyrights with ad revenue. Does that exist? I'm sure it does. Maybe only the paid ones.

I have my music registered with a PRO, and wouldn't want to infringe on anyone's royalties. For sure I get that.

Blocktalk looks cool, I will look into that one.

Thanks y'all!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Playing streaming music online is not worth the trouble.

Now if he wanted to do a podcast that might be different.

There are many a famous people on twitch broadcasting themselves play video games.

Or on youtube talking about stuff.

I'd look into that area.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580
Playing streaming music online is not worth the trouble.

Now if he wanted to do a podcast that might be different.

There are many a famous people on twitch broadcasting themselves play video games.

Or on youtube talking about stuff.

I'd look into that area.

I would definitely agree with that.

Find a niche and run with it.

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

You have a very limited perception of how difficult.. .legally , financial and time consumming it is.

You have a fun idea without realizing you have to be legal with the music.. .because that's how it works.

Its way harder than watching some YouTube video. To do it your way.. .its called a pirate-radio station.. ..and the gov can close you down for playing without paying.

I think.. .you didn't. Please research.

MS, copyrighted author, songwriter and International trademark co-owner

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

You're making many assumptions. I have 3 albums I have recorded, copywritten, and receive digital royalties for. I am a member of ASCAP. I am not trying to NOT pay royalties, I'm asking specifically if there is a podcast hosting site that includes this. I'm familiar with copyright law and mechanical royalties. If I was not, I wouldn't be asking these questions. My reason for wanting a free hosting site is that this is for fun only and I figured plenty ATSers had experience with podcasting.

I'm not looking to make a station that streams music. I'm looking to find a platform for us to make whatever kind of variety show seems fun without worry of members, sponsors, infringing, etc. Just for fun!

Wanna make a show talking about 1 song from the Beatles? Let's do it! Want to make a show filming you playing a game that sucks? Lets do it!

Think lower level guys, lol, like basement tapes kind of a gig!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Live 365 is your only answer.

You aren't going to be able to do it off a free site without making sure you are independently signed up to the relevant royalites/performing artists payments suitable for the type of station.

I looked into this extensively for ATS Live Radio. Its a 'mare. We ended up using Creative Commons music only with artist attribution.

Doing it any other way, without the correct royalty payments is a dangerous thing that could potentially see you sued by record labels.
edit on 14/1/15 by neformore because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:13 PM
link   

If you wish to play ANY music other than that which is considered in the Public Domain then you better be prepared to fork out some very big money for that privilege. Even one note from a song requires you pay for each song license.

One of my favorite sitcoms was WKRP and I recently watched an episode in which they had a name the songs contest in which only one note was played. It is on Hulu TV now but it was edited to change those songs by titles and notes so they could avoid paying to license each song.

My advice is to think some sorta of talk show which is the only way it can be done as even "Happy Birthday" requires you pay for a public performance in this day and age and there are lawyers ready to jump on you for every single note you play.

There is no "fun" as far as theses guys are concerned, you play you pay, ASCAP,SESAC, and a host of others nowadays,even copyrighted game screens are protected but doubt they come after you for that. You can talk all you want to about a song but don't play it or you will be played.
edit on 1/14/2015 by DJMSN because: addition

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Great info y'all, thanks!

And check it out, ASCAP has gotten a license together for this but it's still aimed at revenue generating sites. From what I understand by reading, even without generating revenue you would have to pay $288 annually. Not to mention this is just for ASCAP registered artists (others are with BMI, SESAC etc).

ASCAP digital license

Get an ASCAP License
Websites & Mobile Apps
The ASCAP Website and Mobile App License gives you legal access to every variety of music you need to attract and entertain your users. Each of our licensees has access to over 10 million works from over 520,000 ASCAP songwriters, composers, and publishers from over 90 affiliated societies from all over the world. An ASCAP License also allows our licensees to obtain new music as soon as it is written or published.

Here's the contract:

PART V. LICENSE FEE CALCULATION FOR RATE SCHEDULE “A”
11. Licensee Fee (enter line 7 or line 10, whichever is greater) ............................................. $
12. Minimum License Fee (not subject to pro-ration) ............................................................. $ 288.00
13. LICENSE FEE DUE (enter amount from line 11 or line 12, whichever is greater)............. $

Contra ct

Wish there was a stipulation for those who have under 5 listeners, ahhhhhhhhhh!

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Great. Then we understand each other on common ground

Those assumptions were yours.. .based on what was said.. And fair use is so misunderstood by the public.

I assure you this. I can have YouTube yank our stuff offline within hours.. .and I have.. ..by proving ownership. And we do all the time.

Proper and thorough research is needed in starting a show like this. And it gets shut down. Amatuer or not.

I know you understand that.. ..

MS Universal, BMI, ITunes, ASCAP, Amazon credits to name the largest my group has agreements with.

Best

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Proper and thorough research - that is what I am doing. Thanks for all the stern warnings

Assumptions:
"You have a very limited perception of how difficult..."
"You have a fun idea without realizing you have to be legal with the music..."
"To do it your way.. .its called a pirate-radio station..."
"I think.. .you didn't. Please research."
That's a lot of assumptions.

I have taken zero action in setting up a station. I was simply looking to others to share their experience in doing so.

Wow!

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: raedar

Proper and thorough research - that is what I am doing. Thanks for all the stern warnings

Assumptions:
"You have a very limited perception of how difficult..."
"You have a fun idea without realizing you have to be legal with the music..."
"To do it your way.. .its called a pirate-radio station..."
"I think.. .you didn't. Please research."
That's a lot of assumptions.

I have taken zero action in setting up a station. I was simply looking to others to share their experience in doing so.

Wow!

If you already "know it all" why even ask in the first place?

People are just sharing their experience with you and to be fair you did come off a little rude and ungrateful.
The egos of artists eh?

Im an artist too, half my lifes battles have been against my ego.

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OneManArmy

At least you understand what I was trying to pass on. I only even mention any of my past when it comes up and I think it can benefit someone who really wants it.

What Ive learned in all my years...is it doesnt amount to a hill of beans in the long term scheme of things. We're all the same..we all have our life-lessons.

I was attempting to assist where it wasnt what the other person wanted to hear. And thats precisely the reason I dont get into things beyond this point.

Thanks though for the support....Best MS

top topics

join