It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feak lighting Hail Thunder the works right now Pompey UK

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: 3danimator2014

Im from Edinburgh an not a local.
Ive heard differing reasons as to why Its called Pompey by the Residents.

This Is the most plausible I M O.

Residents of Manchester en mass Mancunian Liverpool are Liverpudlian
Those hearty souls that hail from Glesglae Glaswegian.

Portsmouth folk are called Pomponians.

Just likethe tragic folks whom lived In Ancient Pompey.

So theres your Answer as to why Portsmouth also called Pompey.

Also its not a hole.

Check it out on Google Its an Island City
In fact its a double Island City Includeing Hayling Island . Triple Island commminty If you Include the Isle Of Whyte .
But we don't do that.

That Islands full of Prisons Prisoners and there Jailers an Familys
And the mysterys solved all the Weather an Hail Came at us last night from Hayling Island

Must have annoyed them .

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: VoidHawk

originally posted by: ecossiepossie
a reply to: VoidHawk

Thunder and lightning Is considered weird In the Winter.

It takes warmth to geneate the lift an energy to produce the conditions for thunder an lightning storms,

Its July Its The UK

I can assure you there are no warm fronts capable of produceing
Thynder an lighting Clouds.

An as for the gobstopper sixed hail

Ive onle ever seen that one
An that was In the South of Flance / Spanish Border in a place called Port Bau
An that was In the hight of summer.

Well I've been on this earth for nearly sixty years and I can remember many many winter storms with lightning and large hail stones. I dont think its freak weather, I've seen it to many times for it to be labled freak, its just weather.
20 years ago we'd have said "wasn't it rough last night" but nowadays all weather is being labled as freak weather.
50 years ago such weather was welcomed by us kids because the school buses didn't run and we could stay at home, it wasn't called freak weather then either, just rough weather.

The problem is there's so many variations in weather that until you've been around for half a century its difficult to know whats normal. The GW crowd have made good use of this, thats evident by the number of people who see a storm and think its freak weather.

Chuckling. I'd say it all depends on where you're at. I'm in northern wisconsin and I've heard thunder snow a few times, but this was all in the past few years. Prior to that, I never heard thunder snow here (and I'm 43), so I'd say for me, it's a rather new phenomenon. Large hail, powerful lightning and tornadoes in London...in January..yeah, I'd say it's safe to call that "freak" weather. The poster said it's the first time he's seen that living in the UK, so, I guess that would make it a rare phenomenon. Thanks though for your efforts in reassuring everyone all is right in the world of weather.

Hi Rez
I'm only a few miles down the coast from op, and it really is quite normal for such weather. He mentions he's on an island, but thats only because of the rivers, if they dried up he'd be on the mainland as much as I am.
We get cold winds from the arctic and warm winds blowing over from warmer countries, sometimes we get covered in sand from the sahara! When the hot and cold winds meet we get lightning storms, winter and summer. At the moment we've got gale force winds, and they're very likely to cause the hail.
It doesnt happen every day, but its just not freak weather.

In my book freak weather is weather never seen in living memory by the current population, but I've seen this dozens of times from right back when I was a child right up to the present day.

If it stopped happening, that would be freaky

posted on Jan, 15 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: ecossiepossie
a reply to: VoidHawk

Thunder and lightning Is considered weird In the Winter.

It takes warmth to geneate the lift an energy to produce the conditions for thunder an lightning storms,

Its July Its The UK

I can assure you there are no warm fronts capable of produceing
Thynder an lighting Clouds.

An as for the gobstopper sixed hail

Ive onle ever seen that one
An that was In the South of Flance / Spanish Border in a place called Port Bau
An that was In the hight of summer.

Well I've been on this earth for nearly sixty years and I can remember many many winter storms with lightning and large hail stones. I dont think its freak weather, I've seen it to many times for it to be labled freak, its just weather.
20 years ago we'd have said "wasn't it rough last night" but nowadays all weather is being labled as freak weather.
50 years ago such weather was welcomed by us kids because the school buses didn't run and we could stay at home, it wasn't called freak weather then either, just rough weather.

The problem is there's so many variations in weather that until you've been around for half a century its difficult to know whats normal. The GW crowd have made good use of this, thats evident by the number of people who see a storm and think its freak weather.

Chuckling. I'd say it all depends on where you're at. I'm in northern wisconsin and I've heard thunder snow a few times, but this was all in the past few years. Prior to that, I never heard thunder snow here (and I'm 43), so I'd say for me, it's a rather new phenomenon. Large hail, powerful lightning and tornadoes in London...in January..yeah, I'd say it's safe to call that "freak" weather. The poster said it's the first time he's seen that living in the UK, so, I guess that would make it a rare phenomenon. Thanks though for your efforts in reassuring everyone all is right in the world of weather.

Hi Rez
I'm only a few miles down the coast from op, and it really is quite normal for such weather. He mentions he's on an island, but thats only because of the rivers, if they dried up he'd be on the mainland as much as I am.
We get cold winds from the arctic and warm winds blowing over from warmer countries, sometimes we get covered in sand from the sahara! When the hot and cold winds meet we get lightning storms, winter and summer. At the moment we've got gale force winds, and they're very likely to cause the hail.
It doesnt happen every day, but its just not freak weather.

In my book freak weather is weather never seen in living memory by the current population, but I've seen this dozens of times from right back when I was a child right up to the present day.

If it stopped happening, that would be freaky

Thanks for giving us perspective of your (and the OP's) area. One thing I believe, from my own POV and following the news lately, is that it does seem to be occurring more often in recent years. One thing happening over the UK is the warmer than usual warm fronts from the south colliding with the colder than usual cold fronts to the north...creates more winds, lightning and hale.

posted on Jan, 17 2015 @ 10:18 AM
link   
We never had thunder or lightning in my part of the UK (South Scotland), but last Wednesday we had hail showers all day. I don't think I've ever seen so much hail in just one day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join