It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient rise in Sea Levels...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10
A little off topic,
but are you aware of Masey & Masey's work on using mythology to pin down volcanic eruptions and cosmic impacts?
It came out of Bill? Masey's analysis of hawaiian geneologies, he found a direct correlation to an actual volcanic event with a "mythical" early hawaiian king. Its been a few years since i read, but i believe that it pushes the settlement date of hawaii by a few hundred years.
it has some interesting implications for the peopleing of polynesia.

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:44 AM
link   
It is not clear when humans came to inhabit the islands but fossil human bones from the Yama#a-cho Cave 1, excavated in Naha City, have been positively dated to 32,000 years ago and, in Gushigami-son village, the remains of the Minatogawa people have been dated to 17,000 years ago. These Paleolithic humans are thought to have crossed over on a land bridge from continental China but exact details remain unknown.

As a comment on the 32 000 year old child skeleton found on Okinawa, I would like to reference the work of Jon Erlandson. Erlandson examined studies of ancient sea levels and bathymetric maps showing the depth of the seafloor between the islands of Okinawa and Japan at the time. He concluded that Okinawa was a distant island even 30 000 BC. In order to get there, several long sea voyages would have been required to reach it from Japan, including one crossing roughly 74 km long.

Rock art in the North Kimberley region, South Australia, has shown to depict ocean going boats. Based on the pre spear thrower technology depicted in the same paintings, we can draw the conclusion that the art is at least 17 000 years old, but probably much older.

They used boats.

discovermagazine.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 23 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: 8675309jenny
Massive human cities are almost always on the coastlines, so it seems likely that 90% of the most significant history of humankind is probably sitting on the seafloor in 400-1000feet of water.

Highly unlikely.

Massive cities are on the coast for a (relatively) modern reason - Ocean transport.

Only a few centuries ago, that was the thing - big sailing ships conducting trade.

If you look at the histories of these "massive" cities coastal cities you cite, you'll find they mostly date back to those times.

Prior to that, coastal cities were fishing villages or strategic locations at river mouths.

Not that I think there aren't any submerged sites. Just that I disagree with the percentage you claim.

Harte

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

So, just to revive this thread, i have been reading this today No biblical deluge but gradual melting made the Black Sea a "sea"

I would love to write a full on description here but this is one of those occasions where the title pretty much says it all! One of the things they have discovered though is that the melting started earlier than previously though there. The other doozy is that at the start of the melt, Bulgaria's coast was 60km further to the East - that is a lot of area for potential finds just off the coast of Bulgaria, never mind Turkey, Georgia, Ukraine, etc.

posted on Oct, 14 2016 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

If the Black Sea is salt water, i'd hve to presume that the source didn't come from meltwater.

But im off to read that link.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

The meltwater raised the level of the lake until the Bosphorus was breached (and vice versa). This is where the salt water came from, when the Med became connected.

During previous Ice Ages, the Med has been one of the most inhospitable places on the planet. The lowering of sea levels has led to (repeated) vast, highly toxic, salt flats and lakes.

posted on Oct, 18 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Flavian,
One thing that is always ignored when talkin about the ancient black sea basin, is, it was the terminus of the longest contiguous waterway in the world, the West Siberian Glacial Lake.

The West Siberian Glacial Lake, also known as West Siberian Lake or Mansiyskoe Lake (Russian: Мансийское озеро), was a periglacial lake formed when the Arctic Ocean outlets for each of the Ob and Yenisei rivers were blocked by the Barents-Kara Ice Sheet during the Weichselian Glaciation, approximately 80,000 years ago. At its maximum extent the lake's surface area was more than twice that of the present-day Caspian Sea.

It is theorized that although drainage to the Arctic Ocean basin (e.g. by the Ob and Yenisei Rivers) was prevented, the lake would eventually overflow to the Mediterranean Sea through a circuitous route that would include the Aral Sea, the Caspian Sea, and the Black Sea. This would have resulted in water from the Selenga River and Lake Baikal draining over a course of some 9,700 kilometres (6,000 mi), considerably longer than any river's course today.

West Siberian Glacial lake

In a translation of an old soviet paper on it, i seem to remember reading that the last time it filled was just prior to the LGM, and it was postulated that the outflow to the med enlarged the bosphorus enough to allow the med in.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join