It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Overweight people should they be forced to go on diet

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Sorry moderators if this is in the wrong thing was going to put it in webiste related info but it might not go well with the other stuff in there.

Well youve seen the topic id like to know your opinions

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
you're wrong...

I'm sure you have your faults about yourself and wouldn't like it if someone tried to force you into changing.

I know someone who is over weight and it's not all thier fault. There are some health conditions that attribute to gaining weight you know.

If you are close to someone who is over weight and ignores the problem then so be it, but if they try to help themselves, then you should be supportive and offer your assistance.

If you are talking about strangers, then you shouldn't judge people, live your life and try to be happy. Those people have not done anything to you.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well these "faults" as you say are affecting someone else.

You make it sound like there being forced in slave labour.

Its just food.

and i dont think massivly overweight people should carry on spending money on junk food which isnt even good for them when people are starving in the world.

If its a medical reason why oviously i understand i know people like that.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
"Forcing" fat people to lose weight never works. I was real fat once (6-3, 350 lbs.), and it wasn't until I really wanted to lose the weight that I did. For the most part fat people have really low self esteem, and forcing them to lose the weight or badgering them because they're fat only cripples them. If you really want someone to lose the weight, try reverse psychology. Accept them for who they are and don't harp on their weight. Once they feel completely accepted their frame of mind will be such that they'll want to lose the weight on their own. Just my opinion.

Peace

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fitzpatrick
Well these "faults" as you say are affecting someone else.

and i dont think massivly overweight people should carry on spending money on junk food which isnt even good for them when people are starving in the world.

So, how are they affecting someone else....

it's what they like to eat and it's available, so of course they're going to buy it... you're arguement should be with the makers of the junk food, not the people buying it.

[edit on 14-12-2004 by elevatedone]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
well "fat" people arent really trying when they order a big mac, fries and a DIET coke for lunch every day.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:19 PM
link   
so what if they order a "fat" lunch... it's not your life...

I don't understand why come down on "large" people, it's none of our business what they look like.

If you don't like the way they look, then turn your head, I say.

Who cares if someone is overweight

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan
well "fat" people arent really trying when they order a big mac, fries and a DIET coke for lunch every day.

You are assuming that over-weight individuals have a problem with being over-weight. To each their own.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Ya know what? That's ignorance talking right there...big time.. I always have to fight my weight....I'm short and hour glassy and I gain easily....when I am not dieting to lose a few pounds....I STILL drink only diet with whatever I am eating....I can not drink regular....it's now too sweet, plus if I got used to regular, I would have to learn to like the diet all over again.....you don't know what your talking about...at least that person is cutting the 27 teaspoons of sugar that's in a 12 ounce regular soda! How easy it to judge!

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
FWIW, I met a woman in the laundromat recently. We got to talking about low carb eating. She indicated she was very interested in beginning this way of eating because her healthcare provider was going to force her to get a gastric bypass if she didn't lose xx number of pounds withn a certain time frame.

~~~~
Personally, if obese people put a drain on the health care system and insurance companies and rates go up, it becomes my business. Same goes for other things people do like drink and smoke. Once they impact me, I think we have a right to voice our displeasure.
Obese people tend to have expensive health care issues like diabetes and heart disease. They should be proactive about their situation. Everyone owes it to themselves to strive for optimum health.

In a related area, I do not want to sit next to someone who takes up two seats any more than I want to sit next to someone who reeks of cigarettes or alcohol. They are impacting my space. I can appreciate their issues. But they are their issues.:shk:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Everyone owes it to themselves to strive for optimum health.

I agree here and that's why I strive to keep it down and exercise....but not everyone can do this easily....

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMeIn a related area, I do not want to sit next to someone who takes up two seats any more than I want to sit next to someone who reeks of cigarettes or alcohol.

I don't think that's anywhere near the same....smelling of cigarettes or alcohol, is different than a state of being...are you uncomfortable sitting next to someone missing an arm, a leg? How about someone that is not so attractive? Does that bother you too?

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMeIn a related area, I do not want to sit next to someone who takes up two seats any more than I want to sit next to someone who reeks of cigarettes or alcohol.

I don't think that's anywhere near the same....smelling of cigarettes or alcohol, is different than a state of being...are you uncomfortable sitting next to someone missing an arm, a leg? How about someone that is not so attractive? Does that bother you too?
No, I am not uncomfortable sitting next to someone missing and arm or a leg or an eye.
But, if the person next to me takes up half of my space, it is just the same thing as smoking and drinking. This is esp. true if I paid for the whole seat. If a body is taking up my space, what do you suggest I do?:shk:
Tell me, are we so P.C. that I should simply pretend I have plenty of room?

I have friends who are overweight to the detriment of their health. I was a bit plump myself, until I decided to take back my body--from food.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
so what if they order a "fat" lunch... it's not your life...

I don't understand why come down on "large" people, it's none of our business what they look like.

If you don't like the way they look, then turn your head, I say.

Who cares if someone is overweight

well they just keep bitching and bitching about it and they cant stop and say hey i need to do something about this.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Im going to say everything here instead of using the quotes thing.

Hit and run, maybe we should try and take away the option of allowing people to eat stuff thats bad for them if they are severly overweight.
(medical reasons taken into consideration of course)

Elevatedone done, im saying its affecting other people because its affecting the health service, and public spending. When i went to america, and i could be wrong of course. The amusment parks had special facilities used on obese people.And america eats so much when it could be given food away to the starving.

And elevatedone i have never mentioned looks in my statements, bringing that up says the issue bothers you, and not me.

Dont tread on me i agree you paid for the full seat why should you get less qualtiy for your money because of some overweight person.
If it is a medical problem then have them somewhere else.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV

Ya know what? That's ignorance talking right there...big time.. I always have to fight my weight....I'm short and hour glassy and I gain easily....when I am not dieting to lose a few pounds....I STILL drink only diet with whatever I am eating....I can not drink regular....it's now too sweet, plus if I got used to regular, I would have to learn to like the diet all over again.....you don't know what your talking about...at least that person is cutting the 27 teaspoons of sugar that's in a 12 ounce regular soda! How easy it to judge!

Thumbs up LadyV...you said it well! big hugs!

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Solving a weight problem is for each individual to decide on their own.

Luckily for them, there are many more solutions available these days, as well as foods that are healthy, but can be bought now at regular stores.

My wife was very large when we got together. She then had Gastric Bypass surgery (for herself, not me...I love her for the person she is...in fact, before learning more about it, I was against it for the risks).

She is now 190 pounds lighter, and a lot healthier and happy. She smiles now, and can enjoy life.

You can't FORCE someone though, to adopt your view of a lifestyle. That's like saying we should FORCE people who are gay to marry the opposite sex. It simply doesn't work. You can advise, support, etc. but forcing simply will not work.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I was thinking more along the lines of eliminating the choices, so junk food would not be open to them, not putting a shotgun to there heads saying eat only celery lol

posted on Dec, 16 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I think it was in the movie breakfast club...

"There are two kinds of fat people. Those who were born to be fat, and those who were once thin and then became fat."

And this is more or less true, as people are either more mesomorphic, ectomorphic, or endomorphic (fat). True, there are many people who are fat because they don't exercise and they eat badly, and these are probably the majority. But there are also fat people that you see who, genetically, have a VERY difficult time to be anything other than fat. It's similar to telling a legally blind person that they need to start seeing, or else. But they can't see without special glasses or treatment, as many very fat people can't lose weight without an operation.

Personally, I am ectomorphic, and it is easy for me to lose weight. I also know many people who were "born fat" but could most likely lose a good amount of it if it weren't for their laziness and bad diet. If I were them, I would be working out all the time to improve myself, but I am not them...it makes no difference to me if someone is fat as far as my opinion of the person. Even if I might think the person should lose weight, it's not my choice. We all have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Fat people don't infringe on any of my own rights with their size.

"I'm the one that's gonna die when it's my time to die. So let me live my life the way I want to."

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shoktek
I think it was in the movie breakfast club...

"There are two kinds of fat people. Those who were born to be fat, and those who were once thin and then became fat."

And this is more or less true, as people are either more mesomorphic, ectomorphic, or endomorphic (fat). True, there are many people who are fat because they don't exercise and they eat badly, and these are probably the majority. But there are also fat people that you see who, genetically, have a VERY difficult time to be anything other than fat. It's similar to telling a legally blind person that they need to start seeing, or else. But they can't see without special glasses or treatment, as many very fat people can't lose weight without an operation.

Personally, I am ectomorphic, and it is easy for me to lose weight. I also know many people who were "born fat" but could most likely lose a good amount of it if it weren't for their laziness and bad diet. If I were them, I would be working out all the time to improve myself, but I am not them...it makes no difference to me if someone is fat as far as my opinion of the person. Even if I might think the person should lose weight, it's not my choice. We all have the right to the pursuit of happiness. Fat people don't infringe on any of my own rights with their size.

"I'm the one that's gonna die when it's my time to die. So let me live my life the way I want to."

Well when you say do whatever makes them happy, in the case of junk food its like a drug to them. And it isnt a good thing for them to relie on food for happiness. Fat people can infridge on you though making healthcare more stretched.

posted on Dec, 17 2004 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Fat people can infridge on you though making healthcare more stretched.

So do smokers, alchoholics, etc. Where's the battlecry to stop them?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join