It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Trial imminent for Saddam aides (Updated)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The trials of former members of Saddam Hussein's Iraqi regime are due to begin next week, although no formal date has been given as of yet. Prime Minister Iyad Allawi said, during a speech to Iraq's National Council, that each of the former members are symbols of the old regime and will be tried one by one. The location of Saddam and the eleven senior members is still a secret. The collection of men due to go on trial include Ali Hassan al-Majid, the man known as Chemical Ali for his role in gas attacks against the Kurds.

news.bbc.co.uk
The trials of former members of Saddam Hussein's Iraqi regime will begin next week, interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi has said.

The trials could start as early as next week, Mr Allawi said, although he did not give a specific date.

The court cases would "ensure that justice is done in Iraq", he added.

Lawyers representing the members of the old regime have said their clients will not recognise the legitimacy of any courts established under US occupation.

Apart from the former president, 11 senior figures are being held in US custody at a secret location.

They include former Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz and Ali Hassan al-Majid, known as Chemical Ali for his role in gas attacks on northern Iraq during the offensive against the Kurds in 1987.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

First of all it is good to see some progress in the prosecution of these men, although once sentenced I am sure we will see a backlash in terms of more attacks by those who still support Saddam.

This statement is an interesting one:

Lawyers representing the members of the old regime have said their clients will not recognise the legitimacy of any courts established under US occupation.

I am not a lawyer and so do not understand the ins and outs of World law. However this non-recognition is likely just a show of defiance as I do not believe it will stall the trial or help the defence.

This statement of the soon to start trials bring up another question. What of Saddam's trial? Today is the one year anniversary of Saddams capture and yet we still do not have a date for his trial. The court appearance of Saddam is what the World is really waiting for. You would imagine that there is more than enough evidence of crimes committed by him for a trial to have started sooner. But like I said, I am no lawyer.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
www.reuters.com
www.sky.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...

[edit on 12-15-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Of course the missing one in the line up is General Nizar Al-Kazraji who was the Officer in charge of the "Anfal" which resulted in the deaths of 169,000 Kurds and the Halbja gassing. he was senior to "Chemical Ali" and Ground Officer in charge.

He was charged with war crimes in Denmark and then spirited out of there in 2003 by the CIA.

What is this war criminal doing now ? Why he is working wit the "Coalition of the Willing" to organise the new Iraqi Army, along with his old pals who suppressed the post Gulf War Sgia uprising and ran the !Internal Security Services"

Shades of Werner von Braun. The SS Major who put the men on the Moon.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   
irenius, very interesting information. Could you possibly provide us with some links?

It would be a very interesting read.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:03 PM
link   
I think the BBC and others are jumping the gun here. As I recall yesterday or the day before it was stated that they may hold some hearings, but not the actual trials.

It was stated trials cannot take place until they have a constitution in place.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by shots
I think the BBC and others are jumping the gun here. As I recall yesterday or the day before it was stated that they may hold some hearings, but not the actual trials.

I do not think they are jumping the gun, shots. This has come straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

"I can now tell you clearly and precisely that, God willing, next week the trials of the symbols of the former regime will start, one by one so that justice can take its path in Iraq," Allawi told the interim National Council, without saying who would be tried.

Source: www.usatoday.com...

I do understand however that there are concerns that some of those to go trial have not been allowed contact with legal representatives. It is likely the ones that have had contact will go on trial first. Right or wrong the remainder in my opinion will likely go to trial anyway. I think the World is likely to have little sympathy for them.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kriz_4

Originally posted by shots

I do not think they are jumping the gun, shots. This has come straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

"I can now tell you clearly and precisely that, God willing, next week the trials of the symbols of the former regime will start, one by one so that justice can take its path in Iraq," Allawi told the interim National Council, without saying who would be tried.

Source: www.usatoday.com...

Here from your source

Government leaders have said recently the Special Tribunal is not yet prepared to begin the trials. They need to train judges and prosecutors, and sort through stacks of evidence, all under the pressure of a deadly insurgency that has been able to strike at will.

I think what they quoted and what is possible at this time are two different things. What he said and others are saying is rather clear the Special Tribunal is not yet prepared to begin the trials. They also need to train judges and prosecutors first.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:39 AM
link   
Here is a link from the BBC backing up what you say about the conditions for the trial not being as good as they should.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The announcement by interim Iraqi Prime Minister Iyad Alawi that some of Saddam Hussein's leading associates could face trial as early as next week will please both opponents and victims of the Baathist regime.

But many international legal experts are concerned that, however serious the charges against them, the conditions have not been created to enable these people to have anything resembling a fair trial.

However election campaigns have started today which is a strong sign of Iraqi independance.

Holding these trials as announced by the Interim President could also be viewed as a sign of Independant thought. A sign that Iraq is making decisions for it's self.

Although there are concerns about the legality of the trial, do you think the rest of the world really cares about what happens to the old regime members. I think that legality may be pushed aside a little in this case, no matter how wrong that may be.

posted on Dec, 15 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Also here is a little update on who is to appear in court first.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Ali Hassan al-Majid, widely known as "Chemical Ali", will be the first of Saddam Hussein's top aides to be tried, Iraqi's interim government has said.

Well he certainly is infamous, so I imagine this is a well thought out choice,

Mr al-Majid is accused of some of the worst crimes committed by the regime, including the gassing of Iraqi Kurds.

There is no indication of when Saddam Hussein will face trial. He and 11 top regime figures are in US custody.

"In the next few days, we will have the trial of Ali Hassan al-Majid, one of the close followers of Saddam Hussein," Mr al-Shalaan said.

How ever Reuters is reporting that the trial may be as late as middle of next month. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

[edit on 15-12-2004 by Kriz_4]

posted on Dec, 18 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Saddam Hussein's former deputy, Ali Hassan al-Majid - widely known as Chemical Ali - has been questioned by Iraqi judges in a pre-trial hearing.

He is accused of some of the worst crimes committed by the regime, including the gassing of Iraqi Kurds.

He was interrogated in Baghdad along with Saddam Hussein's last Defence Minister, Gen Sultan Hashim Ahmed, investigative judge Raad al-Juhyi said.

However the judge added the hearing did not mean a trial was imminent.

Well the ball is rolling so to speak, although there are still doubts about whether trails held this early will be fair.

news.bbc.co.uk...

top topics

join