It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Better the lives of ten cops than one innocent

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Actually pretty close to what most people feel. The point of their job is to be hero's and to go out of their way to ensure people are not harmed, safe. That being said, their lives are precious too! But it is a Serve and Protect motto that applies

posted on Jan, 8 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'm just going to say it...I love you....I love you....I love you!!!!

I love every sane person on this site, unfortunately there are fewer and fewer of you. I am so tired of the police bashing crap I can't stand it. I have actually considered leaving the site. It is because of people like you and Jamie1 that I stay around.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: theyknowwhoyouare
a reply to: SlapMonkey
...snipped...

The whole point is that police are trigger happy and there are far too many innocent fathers/mothers/children getting killed in the crossfire bc officers would rather shoot than do any risk assessment.

Like I said, I get your concern, and I do understand the reality that, generally speaking, the bad apples can and do spoil the bunch in lieu of the good apples fixing the bad. But to generalize all cops as "trigger happy" is just way too lazy a comment. You know very well that there are some really good officers out there that will go many extra miles to avoid ever having to fire their service weapon their whole career. You can't minimalize those types of officers just because the news never discusses them.

I don't disagree that it seems like newer crops of LEOs, especially in larger urban areas, do seem to lack any true training on how NOT to use a weapon as the first resort, but I feel that this is something that can be changed, it would just be a very slow process and probably wouldn't get the results I would hope for. But I honestly think this isn't just a training thing--I think millenial-aged people as a whole seem to have a need for immediate results, and when you're in a bad situation as an officer, a service weapon gets that. I truly wish that patience could be taught, but I just don't know if it can in the midst of a society so hellbent on needing results now now now.

It is this reason that infants end up being blown up with tear gas while sleeping in their cribs.

While these very rare instances are terrible, they shouldn't be used to imply that this happens on a daily basis, because we all know that it doesn't.

The day will come when all these smug trolls bombarding this thread find out how much the police rape the citizens lives.

This is pure hyperbole, but in support of the sentiment, it makes sense for people to be prepared for the instance of what you say happens. I don't believe it will, but you can guarantee that I'm prepared to fight against it if I have to.

As I always like to say, hope for the best, but expect the worst.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Maverick7
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA
Oh really, you think cops are gonna come in and save neighborhoods? What happens when a crack neighbor hood gets too bad? Cops stay away, don't answer 9-11 calls, too dangerous.
Not that I blame them. What happens is residents end up cleaning up those neighborhoods.

Personally, I feel that the way it should be. Citizens have an obligation to help keep their neighborhood safe--they can't just rely on a reactionary force like law enforcement, who only show up 95% of the time in response to something that already happened.

LEOs are not there for deterrent purposes--that's why laws and punishments exist. LEOs are there to assess a situation of alleged law breaking and to detain anyone necessary until they can stand trial, if appropriate.

The expectation that LEOs exist for and should be the shield against all crime is unrealistic. Individuals should be accepting and embracing the role that they play in the protection of their neighborhoods. The problem is that too many people turn a blind eye to things they see until it's too late and they can't do anything about it, and at that point, even LEOs can't do much unless someone is caught in the act of doing something illegal.

We as individuals can't continue to just let wounds in our society fester until it's time to amputate--we all need to step up and do our part. We treat the wound early, you won't see areas devolve into "crack neighborhoods." And when areas aren't allowed to get so bad that LEOs consider them "too dangerous" to patrol, maybe they won't be so quick to unholster their service weapon and fire first and ask questions later.

posted on Jan, 9 2015 @ 09:43 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

But to generalize all cops as "trigger happy" is just way too lazy a comment. You know very well that there are some really good officers out there that will go many extra miles to avoid ever having to fire their service weapon their whole career. You can't minimalize those types of officers just because the news never discusses them.

In the very beginning I stated

I don"t believe all LEO's are power hungry evil scum

I believe police are necessary.

I know that this site being the way it is, I should have distinguished that when I said cops were trigger happy, I was speaking about the trigger happy and not all cops in general.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join