It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gemini Planet Imager produces stunning observations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Artist impression

I really think that its amazing how far we have become of bringing another solar system into closeup. My guess is that within twenty years we could see more detailed closeups of those planets orbiting other stars. I always wonder how other habitable planets would look like.
We can imagine by seeing movies , or artists how they would look like but the real thing always has this more realistic feeling if you look at pictures like this.

Stunning exoplanet images and spectra from the first year of science operations with the Gemini Planet Imager
(GPI) were featured today in a press conference at the 225th meeting of the American Astronomical Society (AAS) in Seattle, Washington.

The Gemini Planet Imager GPI is an advanced instrument designed to observe the environments close to bright stars to detect and study Jupiter-like exoplanets (planets around other stars) and see protostellar material (disk, rings) that might be lurking next to the star.

GPI Imaging

GPI Imaging of the Planetary System HR 8799 in K Band, Showing 3 of the 4 Planets. (image)

This is GPI imaging polarimetry of the circumstellar disk around HR 4796A, a ring of dust and planetesimals similar in some ways to a scaled up version of the solar system's Kuiper Belt.

Intriguing how you can see the asteroid belt surouding the star system . I wonder if most of the multi planetary systems do have this sort like Kuiper Belt in their system?

The gimini observatory

I hope to see more of this GPI imager..

edit on 0b46America/ChicagoTue, 06 Jan 2015 19:13:46 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 06 Jan 2015 19:13:46 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

Simply stunning.

As far as other solar systems having Keiper like asteroid belts, I would have to assume it's pretty common. The Keiper belt is a remnant of our solar systems formation, and therefore it's more than likely that other similar solar systems would have their own cosmic obstacle courses.

S+F for aure.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Wait, in the first image, is that not the Solar System? The big one looks like Earth... has green and blue. The one to the right of it looks like it's splitting in two!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   
a reply to: andr3w68

Maybe star systems with an asteroid belt have more chance to become sustainable and suits flourishing life start better then star systems who don't have such protective belt. I can see that bigger objects that want penetrate the inner planets are to be stopped by this belt?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: new_here
Just an artist impression I made , of how it would look like sort of..

But you're right it looked to much Earth in the making .. so I changed it for ya..
edit on 0b09America/ChicagoTue, 06 Jan 2015 18:58:09 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 06 Jan 2015 18:58:09 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Incredible! Nice post. Like others, I cannot wait for the day we have the ability to capture high resolution photos or produce more detailed images of planets in other solar systems. I hope I am alive when this becomes a reality!

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0bserver1

But you're right it looked to much Earth in the making .. so I changed it for ya..

Having an unlabeled artists impression right after that title is going to be really misleading for some. Do you think that is wise?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CraftBuilder

Having an unlabeled artists impression right after that title is going to be really misleading for some. Do you think that is wise?

I think it's pretty obvious it's an artist impression. ..

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: CraftBuilder
More complains?? not? thank you ,
well lets stick to the topic then..

edit on 0b40America/ChicagoTue, 06 Jan 2015 19:16:40 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoTue, 06 Jan 2015 19:16:40 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Ohhh! Nice work you do!

top topics

join