It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philosophy & Metaphysics of Evil Villans & Super Villiany Both Real & Unreal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Well I wanted to make a thread about the metaphysics and philosophy of villans, evil, and villiany in general.

What makes a villian, any particular characteristics?
What is evil in a spiritual sense?
What is evil in the physical world?
What is evil in the emotional sense?
Do you think evil must exist, if so why do you think so?
Why do villians turn to evil any reasons come to mind?
Which villans do you like or dislike wether real or unreal?
Got any favorite super villians?
What do you think of doing evil villiany for what you believe to be a greater good?
What do you think of goody two shoes high moralistic types?
If you got super powers would you be a super villian, if so why?
Do you prefer order or chaos if you prefer chaos why?
Is there a cure for evil, and should there be one?
Would you like to exist in a world without evil where evil is immposible?
edit on 5-1-2015 by FormOfTheLord because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Would you like to exist in a world without evil where evil is immposible
a reply to: FormOfTheLord I will add a amen to that one right there .All others are debatable but that one thing describes the hope I have within my faith .

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

this is not a simple topic

in the absence of a divine command theory, good and evil are reduced to aesthetics

to those with access to a divine command theory, evil is anything contrary to the theory

to those of us with a more scientific outlook, it is not that simple to call something EVIL.

for example, every war has 2 sides, and if you ask enough people, you'll hear that EACH side in the war is "evil"

regarding villains from fiction (Supervillains included)... your classic villain wants to be King, to TAKE OVER THE WORLD.
this is evil because it is outside the cultures values... meaning IF the culture is doing OK, THEN this guy would be a VILLAIN.

but if the culture is not pleasing to its inhabitants, the man who wants to take over could be seen as a savior.

same behavior set, hero in one case, villian in another. Take CONAN from fiction, becomes king by his own hand. Hero. really? conan killed anything that got in his way, if HES a hero what about Atilla? or your average conquerer?

The quest to expand the sphere of influence that funds our biological processes is natural. expansion of territory and of control within territory is natural. and if this NATURAL process, bumps into a SOCIAL CONVENTION, then it will be called EVIL.

What im getting at is STACK ORDER, with biology BENEATH social processes, any time biology asserts over social process, society will call EVIL... Because society frequently asserts over biology, there will always be a minority which claims that its own culture is evil.

perception of evil is a side effect of friction in the stack... my religion, my cultures religion, my neighbors religion, my political views, my cultures political views, my neighbors political views... evil is a misnomer applied to the fruits of this friction

but what im getting at is about ethics, aesthetics, the social order (whichever one it might be), this rubs against DIVINE COMMAND THEORY (lots of those to pick from), and these 2 things rub against MANS NATURAL BEHAVIOR.

eventually there is friction from all this close contact and idea-shoving, and a spark of violence or suffering is released.

WE CALL THAT SPARK EVIL BUT ITS JUST REGULAR BUSINESS BADLY DONE

ok theres my 2 cents from psych 101

now on to VILLAINS!! (Mwuahahahaha)

always loved doctor doom, that guy is driven, but hes still evil with the small "e". he does magic and sometimes runs into those other-dimesional types that are Evil with the large "E". Those demon types usually want to turn reality off somehow, whereas Victor Von Doom wants to rule and understand reality. so hes CONAN (or close enough) this kind of committed genius used to be reserved for the good team, with the exception of Moriarty

THE BORG from Star Trek
i thought these guys were really scary bad-guys. no mystical BS here, just cold tech. the lack of personal expression, the seeming eternal digital entombment in ones own zombified flesh.... thats just so scary its EVIL! even without metaphysics! i thought the borg were poorly developed BTW, star trek left money on the table there.

post is getting too long brb
edit on 5-1-2015 by uwascallywabbit because: typo

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

what is evil in a spiritual sense?

A - anything contrary to the Divine Command Theory
B - anything designed to lessen another's experience of Universe

what is evil in the physical world

evil in the physical world almost exclusively revolves around the perception of suffering. where suffering is zero-percent it will be hard to call "evil". as the imaginary suffer-o-meter climbs... it becomes easier to use the "E-Word"

what is evil in the emotional sense

evil in the emotional sense would be to experience the suffering mentioned above

Do you think evil must exist?

until our social processes are perfected, small "e" evil will remain with us as regular people do regular things badly. True Big "E" Evil would require IMO some additional layer, some deliberate attempt to ruin the game for others, not just maximize the game for oneself. Perhaps there really are other dimensional forces who want to turn our whole game OFF, in which case it would be evil for one of US to be on THAT team

FAV VILLAINS (did some will do more later)

doing evil for the greater good

almost always a NONO, i mean it looks good on paper when you're desperate, but its just proof that your not playing the game right. get a better plan. or at least MINIMIZE the required badness in your goodness. IF for example, you fear the NWO so much that you decide to free us all by blowing up a few major cities....
THEN YOU NEED A NEW PLAN. the extent of inflicting suffering "FOR THE GREATER GOOD" always works best on smaller scales, like when a GI Hero leaps on to a grenade to save his pals in a John Wayne movie.

goody two shoes moralistic types

these players are small minded and lucky. they have found a system that allows them to USE the social layer to help with the territory layer. They are out in public saying be like me and they are getting rewarded for it. typical example would be american TV preacher. These folk benefit from what berger and luckmann (sp?) called "SYMBOLIC UNIVERSES". to those with the same game rules they appear masterful. to those with a dif SYMBOL SET they appear as wacky con-men.

if we ALL got super powers we would ALL be SEEN as SUPER VILLAINS by someone or other. our territory would exxpand, and this would cause friction in the stacks of those around us as each of our needs resolve. our tendency to triumph would only increase the reputation of our so-called villainry.

order and chaos are the same thing (YIN-YANG) reduced to 2 values for the simplicity of my small faculties. the difference between order and chaos is one of observational length

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   

a cure for evil would be a perfected social process. some way of life that allowed each to feel that they were really GETTING IT RIGHT. and somehow it would have to permit this without interfering with others abilities to do the same...

would i like to live in a world without evil HECK YEAH

we could all self actualize. like wow man!

but realistically, utopia remains elusive.

now on to cool villains from fiction and history..

well ya gotta love Nazis, recent history has removed these guys from the morality-is-relative argument and therefore you can have good old fashioned bad-guys, no sloppy new-age "understanding", no reasonable motivations, just "BAD GUYS"

on the same page, i love vampires. BUT im sick of the new ones that are always young and pretty and rich. i miss old fashioned evil dead vampires that really just want to suck your blood and dont have social lives.

slow ass old school 1970s zombies. the slow is part of the scary. you dodge them with ease (at first) but there SO MANY OF THEM now that the world is dead. eventually they start getting your peeps at the fringes, you stop sneaking and break into a run, but theres MORE of them OVER THERE! NO!

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Without darkness, we wouldn't be able to appreciate the light.

As long as we are humans, a purely peaceful world is a fantasy.
It would never last, it wouldn't ''feel right'', causing darkness once again.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

What a boring world..

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Villainy ony exists because duality exists. Duality is evil.

Paradox.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Ok Skeletor is a pretty evil master villian! He seems to enjoy evil just because he enjoys evil for evils sake. I used to think he was some kind of undead lich, however after looking over his orgin it seems otherwise.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: uwascallywabbit

I disagree. If protein matter food replicators existed we would have no poverty & no evil.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn
a reply to: uwascallywabbit

I disagree. If protein matter food replicators existed we would have no poverty & no evil.

I have to agree with you there, however there would still be evil even if we had those things.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

Would you like to exist in a world without evil where evil is immposible

a reply to: FormOfTheLord I will add a amen to that one right there .All others are debatable but that one thing describes the hope I have within my faith .

Oh I agree with you 100% a world without any evil where evil is not even possible sounds like a paradise.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I think you'd be surprised at how much "evil" stems purely from the fact that we need money for basic necessities. That's a base level function of economy. I agree it would be hard to curb greed, but "evil" would dwindle significantly.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Favourite villain would have to be the T-1000 and Skynet from terminator II.

Evil is to engineer cataclysmic or unexpected events, resulting in destructive and unpredictable outcomes to those affected, sometimes certain actions result in consequences that are unpredictable, and to pursue this disparity and gain from it is to be a villain. A villain thus creates chaos and also thrives in it, being the harbinger, he alone has the power to remain in control - he can take charge and take over when events turn in his favour.

A villain ensures that he has a mode of escape and clean hands, as opposed to the simple wrong-doer whom ends up being imprisoned or suffers a retaliatory attack.
edit on 5-1-2015 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Gotta say one of my favorite villans is Galactus not really evil, he is just hungry and needs to eat planets to sustain his lifeforce.

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eunuchorn

I think you'd be surprised at how much "evil" stems purely from the fact that we need money for basic necessities. That's a base level function of economy. I agree it would be hard to curb greed, but "evil" would dwindle significantly.

You are so very correct and I agree. Just think nothing is stopping solar technology and other free energy advancements other than capatilism & big oil corporations.

Which brings me to another point some people believe corporations are evil like, "BIG OIL"

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Why do villians turn to evil?
Many reasons come to mind however I think most dont care about others and just care about themselves, materialism and selfish gain in some form or another.

However there are the sick ones that want nothing more than to inflict suffering on other beings for the sake of evil itself.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

I think some evil can be states of mind.

I think evil can also be projected onto others.

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
imho, a lot of evil has to do with pride and ego. The supervillain wants control / power / wealth and, like a criminal, he prefers to take it from others rather than work and earn. Of course his/her/it's ambitions go beyond mere wealth; the desire for control drives his/her/it's ambitions.

some supervillains (Joker) seem more interested in gaming society / the police; wealth is good but the contest with Batman etc is the real point. These ones don't seem interested in power or rule (though they certainly rule their minions with an iron fist).

George Will: 'Rich people want to rule over us, so they get into politics and call it 'public service'."
el baddo often wants to control other people just for the thrill/pleasure.
el baddo might be so egotistical he's convinced that his control over (whatever) will be an improvement over the existing power structure.
or el baddo might believe he/she/it is *destined* to rule over lesser beings (like us). religion tends to damp down ruthlessness and meanness, but it can also result in some horriffic abuses.

what's the difference between a 'supervillain' and Mao tse Tung, or Pol Pot? Egomaniacs that acheive power and ruin people's lives. because they say they are part of a 'movement' is it less villainous than el baddo taking over Central City?

posted on Jan, 6 2015 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Evil wants to be strong, while I think Good wants to be good.

In the extreme case, Good must never succumb to doing evil acts or deeds, like personal vengeance with a good reason, ridding the world of a blight with evil, but a good purpose if you will. When the good has the opportunity to destroy evil with evil, it then becomes the new face of evil. As they say anyways, since it goes with most morals of revenge and such where they say it won't stop anything.

Like Batman not killing the Joker for the sake of his vow, or become the new evil for that matter. However, Batman destroying evil would of prevented such horrific acts caused by the joker causing good, where as Spawn or Wolverine would of just destroyed it with the sense of pride.

Evil on other hand kind of varies with it highs and lows, where the lows or lessers are just to basic, like needs never fulfilled or even respect for that matter, but how they achieve it is what makes evil disgusting in most cases, where it just primal.

But a necessary or prime evil for that matter is different in a such a way, that it would want to deviate itself from being evil, to a force of Good rather. Where it could it say, it did things that good could never do, or it could be so selfish or proud, that something just don't appeal to its sense of honor.

Where it couldn't commit such an act of evil, but instead would want to destroy evil.
edit on 6-1-2015 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join