It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Listen to Lennon

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

I should point out that just because he was an ass, we should not at least listen to his opinions on peace.

Couldn't have put it any better myself - a massive hypocrite who I have very little regard for......but who can fault his message?

As for The Beatles?
Vastly overrated - but its impossible to ignore or deny the massive role they had in changing not only the music scene but society in general.....but I guess that is a discussion for another time and place.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I should point out that just because he was an ass, we should not at least listen to his opinions on peace.

Couldn't have put it any better myself - a massive hypocrite who I have very little regard for......but who can fault his message?

As for The Beatles?
Vastly overrated - but its impossible to ignore or deny the massive role they had in changing not only the music scene but society in general.....but I guess that is a discussion for another time and place.

Without as you say going off topic how is it possible to "deny the massive role they had in changing not only the music scene but society in general"

And claim they were overrated?

Would you be better of saying that you do not like there music or personalities?

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Just a personal opinion on the quality of their music.
I think the music of many bands who were around at the same time have stood the test of time better - The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Who, The Small Faces, The Animals to name but a few.

I recognise and accept that I am very much in the minority in thinking that and only a complete idiot could fail to see the impact they had on society as a whole.

I think along with Elvis Presley and The Sex Pistols they are the only musicians of whom it can be said actually changed the face of society.
None of them were necessarily the first of their kind and none of them were necessarily the best of their particular type, but they were the face of something that eventually changed the outlook and culture of our society.

But I fear if I was to expand on that then I'd very much derail your thread, apologies if I already have.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
It's not my thread, I will let it get back on topic also now.

And not mention that I feel the same way about the Stones, overratet(in my opinion).

a reply to: Freeborn

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Sorry but this is ATS, I could not resist saying that

Ah, but it works well on ATS. No reason to be sorry.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

But I fear if I was to expand on that then I'd very much derail your thread, apologies if I already have.

If the change in society that didn't happen is not
what this thead is about? Then what have I done here?
Nothing. Oh contrare, you are perfectly on topic my good
member.

edit on Ram10415v42201500000042 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:45 AM
link   
The people wont get no power until the grow a pair and take it back because we have tried the "Talk, Talk" method and it does not work.

Gandi sat on his bum for 20 years whilst others kicked the british out of India, its BS

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71

He was a hypocritical piece of crap. Not sure why people don't see that..

could just be that you is telling poke pies for one reason or another

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   
a reply to: VirusGuard

Talk Talk protest in the crows nest. I agree.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

J Edgar Hoover arranged that

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

I think the music of many bands who were around at the same time have stood the test of time better - The Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Who, The Small Faces, The Animals to name but a few.

If the beatles had recorded all their music with modern production techniques would your view be different. When I hear their music the first thing I notice is he difference in production sound of the 60s versus 90s +

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Everyone's a hypocritical piece of crap. I'm sure if we sniffed around your back door for long enough we'd find a huge pile of # you're ashamed of.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The U.S. vs. John Lennon

John Lennon is established as being a potential political threat to the American government, and therefore much of the film covers the theme of 'silencing' him and other popular figures that became involved in anti-war activism

Worth a watch.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

As a Who fan from way back, I would agree. I give Lennon his due as part of a songwriting team, but on his own I was never impressed. The Beatles did lead the vanguard, though.
edit on 4-1-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   
A fair point but I have to give you this as a point in question.

a reply to: JohnnyCanuck

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AthlonSavage

If the beatles had recorded all their music with modern production techniques would your view be different.

Not at all - I really like the early Stones and Who recordings, they are recorded with the same technology and part of what I like about them are the raw passion and energy, things I personally believe are lacking in most Beatles recordings.

For me the Beatles importance lies with them being at the very forefront of a whole change in attitudes not just within the music industry but society in general.

edit on 4/1/15 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Early beatles as with most recorded on 2 tracks(stereo)

Bass and drums first and then everything else afterwards.

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
A fair point but I have to give you this as a point in question.

And I would counter with the following...

I don't think the Beatles can match this tune for musical complexity and sheer elegance.
edit on 4-1-2015 by JohnnyCanuck because: just because...

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I will agree on that and raise you this in the same year

edit on 12015119pAmerica/Chicago2015-01-04T20:28:19-06:0028f28 by nonspecific because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2015 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Man Hendrix pretty much ownd 67
edit on 4-1-2015 by Dabrazzo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Lennon wasn't the greatest person, but he did recognize his own faults and tried to overcome them, mostly unsuccessfully. I'm not sure you can really ask for more than that, the vast majority of people don't even get that far.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join