It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NYPD invkokes "virtual work stoppage" to protest Mayor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It would seem that NYPD's work stoppage may show that much of their policing is not only unnecessary but could be seen as endangering the public they are sworn to protect and serve.

The Benefits of Fewer NYPD Arrests
New York cops started a "virtual work stoppage" to protest Mayor Bill de Blasio. That might be a good thing for New Yorkers.

The human implications of this question are immense. Fewer arrests for minor crimes logically means fewer people behind bars for minor crimes. Poorer would-be defendants benefit the most; three-quarters of those sitting in New York jails are only there because they can't afford bail. Fewer New Yorkers will also be sent to Rikers Island, where endemic brutality against inmates has led to resignations, arrests, and an imminent federal civil-rights intervention over the past six months. A brush with the American criminal-justice system can be toxic for someone's socioeconomic and physical health.

The NYPD might benefit from fewer unnecessary arrests, too. Tensions between the mayor and the police unions originally intensified after a grand jury failed to indict a NYPD officer for the chokehold death of Eric Garner during an arrest earlier this year. Garner's arrest wasn't for murder or arson or bank robbery, but on suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes—hardly the most serious of crimes. Maybe the NYPD's new "absolutely necessary" standard for arrests would have produced a less tragic outcome for Garner then. Maybe it will for future Eric Garners too.

source

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: AlaskanDad
Thread

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
If this means they are harassing and beating fewer people it sounds good to me. I had read in another article that the problem the police had with the mayor was because the mayor showed sympathy with people who were peacefully protesting the NYPD's actions. People should only be arrested when it is absolutely necessary with that part of the article I couldn't agree more. Imo that cop that killed Gardner should have been charged with at least manslaughter.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Statistically there are fewer arrests, so 'crime has dropped' then.

I think this a fine improvement. Can you imagine how much tax savings there will be on processing petty crimes through the system?

Paperwork, court costs, jail time, probation? Cops will be putting themselves out of business. They will get themselves laid off.

So thats why this is a temporary thing.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
It would seem that NYPD's work stoppage may show that much of their policing is not only unnecessary but could be seen as endangering the public they are sworn to protect and serve.

The Benefits of Fewer NYPD Arrests
New York cops started a "virtual work stoppage" to protest Mayor Bill de Blasio. That might be a good thing for New Yorkers.

The human implications of this question are immense. Fewer arrests for minor crimes logically means fewer people behind bars for minor crimes. Poorer would-be defendants benefit the most; three-quarters of those sitting in New York jails are only there because they can't afford bail. Fewer New Yorkers will also be sent to Rikers Island, where endemic brutality against inmates has led to resignations, arrests, and an imminent federal civil-rights intervention over the past six months. A brush with the American criminal-justice system can be toxic for someone's socioeconomic and physical health.

The NYPD might benefit from fewer unnecessary arrests, too. Tensions between the mayor and the police unions originally intensified after a grand jury failed to indict a NYPD officer for the chokehold death of Eric Garner during an arrest earlier this year. Garner's arrest wasn't for murder or arson or bank robbery, but on suspicion of selling untaxed cigarettes—hardly the most serious of crimes. Maybe the NYPD's new "absolutely necessary" standard for arrests would have produced a less tragic outcome for Garner then. Maybe it will for future Eric Garners too.

source

Maybe it's a good thing. You notice that they are only stopping enforcing minor traffic and small nonviolent crimes.

IMHO that's where the resentment between police and the community come from. Cops have been asked (told, ordered) to unforced countless things that are just money grabs or laws created for political grand standing.

That's why younger generations have a distrust for police. Not because we are all violent criminals. Since the politicians are too scared they will look soft on crime, they won't ever fix the war on drugs or stop red light cams and tag light infractions. Maybe what it will take is police getting tired of being used as puppet tax collectors who are hurting there communities.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:05 PM
link   
FTA:

Stop-and-frisk incidents plunged from 685,724 stops in 2011 to just 38,456 in the first three-quarters of 2014 as a result. If stop-and-frisk had caused the ongoing decline in New York's crime rate, its near-absence would logically halt or even reverse that trend. But the city seems to be doing just fine without it: Crime rates are currently at two-decade lows, with homicide down 7 percent and robberies down 14 percent since 2013.

It might be a good idea to re access LE's priorities and lay off a few of the LEO's that are know to cause problems.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   
So by their logic, next time a NYC cop kills a citizen, all NYC citizens should disobey the police. How much revenue will the city lose by the time this is done?

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   

So let me get this straight to protest the mayor you won't do your jobs that cause citizens to get killed. Sounds good to me. Then your arrest rates will go down, leaving less necessity to fund you the next year allowing us to do budget cuts and trimming off the worst of you.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Sounds like a union protesting peaceful in the only way they can, so whats the problem?

Maybe they should just stop patrolling the neighborhoods that don't want to have them around. That should stop any confrontations and both sides win. Arrests will go down as well and according to the above posts that can only be a good thing.
edit on 1-1-2015 by Hoosierdaddy71 because: Spelling

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Statistically there are fewer arrests, so 'crime has dropped' then.

I think this a fine improvement. Can you imagine how much tax savings there will be on processing petty crimes through the system?

Paperwork, court costs, jail time, probation? Cops will be putting themselves out of business. They will get themselves laid off.

So thats why this is a temporary thing.

Yup, it's gonna make a mess of the performance stats...which are routinely massaged anyway.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 01:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: AlaskanDad
FTA:

Stop-and-frisk incidents plunged from 685,724 stops in 2011 to just 38,456 in the first three-quarters of 2014 as a result. If stop-and-frisk had caused the ongoing decline in New York's crime rate, its near-absence would logically halt or even reverse that trend. But the city seems to be doing just fine without it: Crime rates are currently at two-decade lows, with homicide down 7 percent and robberies down 14 percent since 2013.

It might be a good idea to re access LE's priorities and lay off a few of the LEO's that are know to cause problems.

The crime rate has been dropping since the 80s (I think 80s :p). I personally think it's tech and the free flow of information that's effecting it. Hell if it wasn't for the war on drugs I bet the crime rate would be almost nothing.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Sounds like a union protesting peaceful in the only way they can, so whats the problem?

The police force is military in nature and structure (ie chain of command applies), and the Mayor is definitely at or near the top of said command chain. This makes me wonder if this disrespect / insubordination is something that demands punishment? Can you imagine our troupes turning their backs to a General while he was speaking to an assembly? OTOH, it could add a new twist to protests.

My opinion is NYPD has made a spectacle off themselves with their childish actions and for that I am glad.

originally posted by: Hoosierdaddy71
Maybe they should just stop patrolling the neighborhoods that don't want to have them around. That should stop any confrontations and both sides win. Arrests will go down as well and according to the above posts that can only be a good thing.

I agree the public needs a voice in LE, though I think this goes clear back to the politicians need to start listening to the public when making the laws that our LEO's are required to enforce.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Wish they would get rid of the Blue Mafia altogether.

Problem in NY is, its illegal for you to protect yourself. See, they make it almost impossible for a law abiding citizen to own and carry a firearm.

Thereby forcing you to be dependent on the State.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Exactly. And where are the police when you need them? You hear the bloop bloo bloop of the sirens a few blocks over but when something actually happens forget it.

This is also why many city people think guns are a bad idea. They're used to criminals using them, causing trouble and they don't see the responsible gun owners the rest of the country has.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

Blue Mafia

There is a lot of truth in those two words!

I have often wondered at the ties between LE, politics and our entertainment industry. I will add a little of my reasoning for adding the latter. I feel that many series of cop shows are being used to form positive attitudes towards LEO's and even go so far as enabling the ideal that cops need to break the rules to protect us from criminals. The general public having the belief that it is ok for LEO's to break laws and even that it is good for the public in general seriously scares me!

edit on 1-1-2015 by AlaskanDad because: typo & grammar

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

And to me we've had shows like The Shield which seem to glorify police corruption (at least the episodes I saw when it was popular). Too many cop shows imo but I won't get into it.

I wouldn't mind if the cops broke rules only to get truly bad guys. But many of them break rules because they seem to feel like they're above the laws they help enforce. That frightens me as much as the public thinking cops breaking laws is alright and beneficial for society, like you said

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Entreri06

IMHO that's where the resentment between police and the community come from. Cops have been asked (told, ordered) to unforced countless things that are just money grabs or laws created for political grand standing.

Finally, a voice of reason!

It amazes me how many people of both political churches bitch about how the MSM manipulates the public, yet they find themselves blaming the police rather that the judges, lawyers and politicians that mandate the laws that imprison Americans for revenue to the state!

Odd how some people willingly follow what they turn around and say they hate!

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Hoosierdaddy71

Even if just 1 person in a community of thousands wants a police patrol...

Then who are the police to decide that they will stop patrolling the area?

Human Rights don't work by majority vote or protest...

They work via a Moral Compass & Common Sense.

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

The police are only as powerful as the lawmakers want them to be. People yell about the cops for good reasons (well, most of the time), but we often forget they just follow orders. The law isn't just the badge, the layers above it need to be exposed

posted on Jan, 1 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme
a reply to: seeker1963

The police are only as powerful as the lawmakers want them to be. People yell about the cops for good reasons (well, most of the time), but we often forget they just follow orders. The law isn't just the badge, the layers above it need to be exposed

Been trying to bring that fact to peoples attention my friend, but unfortunately I think we as a public have become as screwed up as the Big Pharm!

Most people are just peachy keen with treating the symptom versus eradicating the disease.......

Happy New Years to YA!!!! (Out of tradition of course!)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join