It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Religious Extremism is RIGHT

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
We hear a lot of negativity about ISIS and Westborough Baptist Church and all the other "crazy" religious extremists out there. We are told they represent a minority of the faithful, that all religions at their core are about peace and love and acceptance. We are told we should condemn the violent and intolerant while applauding the reasonable and moderate among the religious.

This is, of course, all wrong. If we'd just pay attention to the language we use to describe these people, we'd see how wrong this happy hippie horsesh!t is. They are "Funadmentalists." We call them that, because they have an unwavering support for the fundamental tenets of their faith. That faith -- all faiths -- are centered around a central proposition: There is one truth, and many deceptions. There is one good, and many evils. There are many roads, but only one that goes the right way. To stray from the one true path is a sin.

Whether you are a fundamentalist Muslim, or a fundamentalist Christian, or Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist or Jew, this is what you believe. That you are right, and others are wrong. If you believe anything else, you are not a fundamentalist; and if you are not a fundamentalist, then you are denying the central foundation of your religion; denying your god for the comfort and convenience of a modern, pluralistic society.

With religion, there are two possibilities: either your religion is true; or your religion is meaningless. If your religion is true, then all others are false -- and by extension the adherents of those other religions, along with anyone who fails to recognize any religion at all, must be disposed of, because to allow them to live is to deny your own righteousness. They understood that in the Bronze Age, when all these religions came about -- but we ignore it now, because it is no longer fashionable. But if history and tolerance can override the commandments of god, then what good is that god?

If you do not believe so strongly in the righteousness of your religion that you will kill and die for it, then why bother at all?

posted on Dec, 27 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Because as a Christian (and I use that word loosely to define my beliefs), I wouldn't harm another human being or another lifeform willingly (and if unwillingly yikes). Most certainly not for religious reasons. No one will ever agree, not even to agree to disagree. People will fight over it for centuries. I don't think AI will stop religion, aliens, or evolution. We'll always have something to believe in, even if it's that we sprang out of nothing.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Entertaining concept.

Hope I don't stray to far off topic. But I have always found the moderate-believer-position somewhat hypocritical. Asserting that they know what passages to adhere to and which to simply read as cautious tales or metaphors, or whatever they do. Calling fundamentalist crazy - saying they misunderstand or rather, misinterpreted the scriptures. Who are they to say what is the right way of practicing?
This is truly mysterious to me.

Perhaps this type of believer has simply originated with the present culture, in which ever fewer religious people actually familiarizes themselves with their actual holytexts and the history of these, but rather are just culturally integrated into their faiths.

I dunno. Not sure they do either. xD

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: vexati0n

One must realise that all religions including Christianity are based around the writing of men who claim to be inspired by their God... Which means they are subject to mans folly... and mans idiocy

religions are refined over the period of their existence... Laws are changed or over ruled by men, just like the ones who wrote the texts to begin with...

The issue is that these Fundies don't realise this... they stick with their belief in mans idiocy blindly claiming it to be Gods word without looking into how they might hurt others... OR even caring if they do

Im sorry... Fundamentalism in religion is a disease... a sickness of simple minded people trying to stick to old barbaric laws that make them feel superior to other people... and rules made by men that were smarter then the simple folk in their time... and still are today

it should be wiped off the face of the planet

And not with violence... but with love and respect

edit on 28-12-2014 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Fundamentalists, zealots, whatever you want to call them, should be wiped out. I don't care what your religion tells you,, you have no right to demand I believe anything. Extremists who deal in violence, should be met with violence. Yeah, yeah " an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind". But, if it stops some nut job from chopping off a child's head, I'm all for it.

And folks wonder why I'm an Atheist.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

I think that your understanding of Christianity is flawed if you believe that the WBC are doing it right.

I believe in Jesus Christ, and the most important things he ever said were about loving one another, and about casting no stones unless you, yourself happen to be perfect. Given that according to the lore which governs my faith, none are perfect save the Christ himself, and further that to think oneself perfect is an abomination before God, and likened to the attitude taken by Satan, the WBC have no platform of legitimacy where their method of practice of the faith is concerned.

That is not to say that they have no belief in Jesus, but their attitude toward following him is very much biased away from love and compassion. They judge others, and in doing so putting themselves in the position which ought to be occupied by God.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 03:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: vexati0n
We hear a lot of negativity about ISIS and Westborough Baptist Church and all the other "crazy" religious extremists out there. We are told they represent a minority of the faithful, that all religions at their core are about peace and love and acceptance. We are told we should condemn the violent and intolerant while applauding the reasonable and moderate among the religious.

This is, of course, all wrong. If we'd just pay attention to the language we use to describe these people, we'd see how wrong this happy hippie horsesh!t is. They are "Funadmentalists." We call them that, because they have an unwavering support for the fundamental tenets of their faith. That faith -- all faiths -- are centered around a central proposition: There is one truth, and many deceptions. There is one good, and many evils. There are many roads, but only one that goes the right way. To stray from the one true path is a sin.

Whether you are a fundamentalist Muslim, or a fundamentalist Christian, or Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist or Jew, this is what you believe. That you are right, and others are wrong. If you believe anything else, you are not a fundamentalist; and if you are not a fundamentalist, then you are denying the central foundation of your religion; denying your god for the comfort and convenience of a modern, pluralistic society.

With religion, there are two possibilities: either your religion is true; or your religion is meaningless. If your religion is true, then all others are false -- and by extension the adherents of those other religions, along with anyone who fails to recognize any religion at all, must be disposed of, because to allow them to live is to deny your own righteousness. They understood that in the Bronze Age, when all these religions came about -- but we ignore it now, because it is no longer fashionable. But if history and tolerance can override the commandments of god, then what good is that god?

If you do not believe so strongly in the righteousness of your religion that you will kill and die for it, then why bother at all?

Actually, you're mistaken on several points. First, fundamentalist refers to those who take the Bible, Koran, etc. to be the literal word of God. That is the fundamental tenet of their beliefs. Everything else that they believe stems from that fundamental belief. Second, not all religions teach that there is only one way, that their religion is "true" and all others "false. That is a belief of the Abrahamic religions, to be sure, but not of many others.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:07 AM
link   

I believe in my religion because it was God HIMSELF who I believe told it to me, and told me it was true. For me, it came to me through dreams and visions and words.

That God though, doesn't force anyone. He allows all their own free will and asks no one to kill for HIM. That I would die upon the faith in it if need be, provided someone wanted to kill me for believing it, is entirely then my choice, however.

That is true. If it offends you there is only one plan into heaven, I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. He said through one man came a veil of separation between us and God that HE calls sin, and so through one man the veil was rent asunder.

To me, it makes logical sense really.. should we sit around and critize God for HIS choices? I don't. If I were a God I suppose I could sit around and be highly critical if I so chose, but the fact is, I am not a God.

In the end, to each his own free will. God didn't drag you kicking and screaming.. so at least you should be happy about that. You might have found reason to complain about that if HE had.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
The real problem we have these days is that everyone thinks their imaginary friend is more relevant than everyone else's. Religion is a guideline not a rule. If you treat it as a rule you basically negate the lesson and become the the thing you were thought not to become.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 05:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Tangerine

Actually, you're mistaken on several points. First, fundamentalist refers to those who take the Bible, Koran, etc. to be the literal word of God. That is the fundamental tenet of their beliefs. Everything else that they believe stems from that fundamental belief. Second, not all religions teach that there is only one way, that their religion is "true" and all others "false. That is a belief of the Abrahamic religions, to be sure, but not of many others.

The Abrahamic religions are very dualistic in their approach compared to others even if Jesus clearly preaches non duality in his sermons while Paul preaches duality (Pauls view of Jesus and faith or hell). Rumi is a good example of Sufi Islam teaching non duality.

If man where to push for the best current spiritual(metaphysical) description that can be made of the connection between god/man/spirit then it would probably involve chakras, kundalini/chi/light, synchronicity and quantum probability fields. At the end Science will come face to face with god/creation and understand the nature of consciousness if they dare to seek the answers to everything that is.

Namaste
edit on 28-12-2014 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I agree with your post but duality infers that there are only 2 points of view. Its nearly 2015. Come on man step into the present. I see you have since edited your post so I have too. Science unfortunately keeps outgrowing religion but religion keeps changing their dogma to keep up. Example : the pope is willing to baptise aliens if they want it. So much for god making us in his image. Peace bro (that means namaste)
a reply to: LittleByLittle

edit on 28-12-2014 by arrakis624 because: reply to edited post

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

What you are observing is memes in action. You correctly point out that the religious memes continuously drive operatives to conservatism. Generally speaking, this applied conservatism a measure of strength of the meme. Splintering of ideology weakens the meme.

Think about the irony of a human operative killing their genetic line in a form of tribute to their meme. This happens in Muslim cultures today and I'm sure to some extent Christians and Jews. Thinks that's strong? It gets worse.

Imagine how many meme operatives are alive today, that are so conservative, they would personally destroy every soul on the planet and feel like they will be rewarded by their meme. As the numbers of these conservative operatives grow and as destructive technology grows, the probability someone will do it grows. I believe Reagan and GWB were within reach of the extinction event. It didn't happen thankfully. Monsanto is approaching primacy of the human food supply. If left on their current path, nothing will stop them from intentionally destroying it's viability so they can sell something you need.

It's imperative that religions and corporations be neutered or eliminated before that extinction event happens.
edit on 28-12-2014 by InverseLookingGlass because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't agree with fundamentalism. I'm sorry but you, regardless of what your religion is, you have no right to do harm onto those who either don't believe the same as you, or sin differently than you.

You do what you want. Leave everyone else out of it. Your religion is between you and your God. Not you, your God and everyone else.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: arrakis624
The real problem we have these days is that everyone thinks their imaginary friend is more relevant than everyone else's. Religion is a guideline not a rule. If you treat it as a rule you basically negate the lesson and become the the thing you were thought not to become.

Basically the idea of "If you need religion to be a good person, you're not a good person." If you need to follow every rule in religion to be a good person, you're probably not a good person. Use it as a guideline. Not as a giant rulebook that yourself and others must follow to a T.

I feel that most fundamentalists (from all religions) are probably in for a very rude awakening when that time comes, if it comes. Usually they are doing more harm than good.

posted on Dec, 28 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I personally believe religion is a psychological virus held over from past ages when the world was mostly unknown, so it made more sense to codify a set of behaviors that were more or less beneficial, at least to the survival of genes. Today, much of what was unknown five thousand years ago has been explained by science. Religion has no net benefit today, except in terms of being at peace personally with the realities of the human condition. As a set of social impositions, it is counterproductive in a world where we no longer have to assume that our lives depend on our adherence to the laws set forth by a god.

It is obvious that religion was invented by man, and so is subject to human error. But that is not what it claims to be. It claims that it is given directly or indirectly by a god or gods. If you believe your religion is true, you must accept what it says about itself -- otherwise, you are claiming to believe in god but injecting your own flawed sense of rectitude where the god you claim to believe in is "wrong". Hypocrisy.

It is also true that fundamentalists believe that their scriptures are the literal word of their god(s). But this, too, is because that is what those scriptures claim to be. They do not claim to be errant writings written by men. If you give credence to anything they say, you must give credence to everything they say. If you do not believe your scriptures are infallible, then you must accept that all parts -- even the parts you believe are correct -- might be complete fabrications; and if you accept that, then you betray your entire belief system.

If you are going to have religion, or at least subscribe to organized religion, you must be a zealot and a fundamentalist if you are going to be intellectually honest with yourself. Anything less is wishy-washy and half-assed.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

^^ I have to agree with this post. I know there is a God, but the human filter element in the Abrahamic organized religions - Christianity and Islam and Judaism - is disturbing. It's like common sense dies when a person takes the Qu'ran or the Bible as absolute truth and they forget that there was an error filled human filter involved.

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Well, being a fanatic or 'Zealous' is actually a good thing - compared to being an athiest.

It is the belief, the fear of the Lord, the knowledge of the law. It is being pious enough to reject the lies and false doctrines in order to save our own souls, not according to the many false teachings of the world but according to the Truth.

In that respect the more Zealous one can be, the more they attempt and have the ambition to learn and understand.

But the whole philosophy in any pious man of faith is works, meaning that righteousness is more important than anything.

And in that respect, it does not matter how much Zealous any man is, if there are no good works, than it is all a big waste of time, energy, and belief.

For the Lord seeks the pious and calls the righteous by name. Over the humble His spirit hovers, and He renews the faithful in His strength. For He will honor the pious upon the Throne of His eternal kingdom, setting prisoners free, opening the eyes of the blind, raising up those who are bowed down.
Dead Sea Scroll 4q521

posted on Dec, 29 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: vexati0n

Since when are we supposed to kill for it? Where did you come up with this?

Are you a time traveler from the Middle Ages?

top topics

join