It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chippendale Display Cabinet

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hey you all.

I have been looking for a display cabinet for a while now, to display my fossil collection in. I finally found someone who is looking to sell their chippendale display cabinet. The people I want to buy it form had the cabinet in their family for over 6 generations. It was verified by an antique dealer as being the real deal.

(I truly wish I had a better photo)
I looked around, but could not find any real info on this design.

Is there anyone what has knowledge of this cabinet, and do you think it would be a good buy?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   
It would depend on the price and how popular that type of furniture is worth in your area.

Where I live anything but high end stuff has dropped drastically because it is so unfashionable at the moment.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: IndependentAgent

Wow, it is very beautiful.

If it is the real deal and you can buy it at a realistic price then it will only increase in value. Real and rare antiques are a great way to invest capital long term. Also, you get to enjoy the aesthetics of the purchase.

If you are sure it is the real deal and you have researched its worth and can buy it at a good price, why not?

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   
i wish i could help you but check out my display of childlike ignorance.
You said chippendale and i immediately thought you collected the action figures of the old cartoon chip & dale and thought "how cool is that!"
and now here you are talking about fossils like an intellectual adult and i am a manchild.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

More common antiques are not so fashionable right now, but the high end is a different kettle of fish. If it is Chippendale then fashion will not be an issue. Antique dealers are still busy with the high end of the market. People will buy from all over the world certain sought after pieces. Area has little to do with such items.

edit on 17-12-2014 by lonesomerimbaud because: spelling.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   
a reply to: IShotMyLastMuse

Chip & dale figures!? That would be awesome to have!! I collect whatever I can find!!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I thought even high end stuff was in decline but I have been out of the business for over 10 years now.

As regards to location I meant for a private sale.

I used to buy private in the north of england and take them to London to sell at quite a high margin.

a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: lonesomerimbaud

They said that this one may be one of only about 100 worldwide. I really do think I am going to buy it! But I would like to know the history behind it.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

That sounds like great fun. Well I am sure you know more than I about it.

I was just looking at some sites and these are selling for big money.

I think, like you say, there is a lull in interest in antiques. I guess it is a good time to buy.

I have a feeling that there will be a revival in this market. If I had the money I would love to collect art and antiques. The beauty and rarity is very appealing.

The Chippendale furniture, from what I can gather, still looks like it is big business. Sets of chairs selling for a fair few grand, etc.

You are right, though, it is a quiet time right now.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The other factor here is how much you like it.

If you can afford it and it will make you happy and do your collection proud then who cares what it is worth.

If it is one of 100 then your unlikley to ever find another one for sale and if you love it then your not got to re sell it so its value is imaterial.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Theres pretty much everything he did in pattern books somewhere so check them over and check the basics like dimensions and unless the dealer is an expert on his work i'd always go for a second opinion especially if its a load of cash

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxatoria

Good advise, thanks. I will do so.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
It is gorgeous!!!!!! This will keep its value as there is always someone who will pay a good price for something they love. I say get it!!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   

That is a good point. I know it would go well with my Chippendale Dinning Room Set, Chippendale Wardrobe and my 2 Chippendale Buffets.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thanks. And I had a look at it, and there is not a scratch on it!

link   

link   

I hope it turns out to be the real thing for you.

Also, you are buying from the right people. There is no middle man. Played right, armed with research and professional opinion, you might be on to a good thing.

It is very pretty I must say. Really such old pieces are beyond just being furniture. It is art from a master.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: IndependentAgent
a reply to: Night Star

Thanks. And I had a look at it, and there is not a scratch on it!

It looks to be in perfect condition which adds to the value of the piece. The true value is that you will have it to love and treasure for years to come.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: lonesomerimbaud

Really such old pieces are beyond just being furniture. It is art from a master.

That is true. And the real sad part is that the children of the person selling it, is not interested in having it at all.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Do you have any pics of the fossils you will be displaying?

<<   2 >>

join