It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas Goodies!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
A couple of peppermint versions...

...there are about a million Oreo truffle recipes floating around the internet. So why share this recipe with you? Well because it is just that good, it’s worth making some sort of exception for and because if there are any of you who haven’t tried this recipe yet, or who forgot about this recipe, I hope you’ll give it a go! You might love it as much as we do.

While I prefer a smoother texture, you can add some crushed candy canes into the cookie mixture for more peppermint taste and crunch.

39 regular Oreo cookies
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
16 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 tablespoon coconut oil or vegetable oil
2 regular-size candy canes, finely crushed

www.handletheheat.com...

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I made homemade cinnamon rolls three times within the last week. We're planning on making some Nissua before Christmas and maybe some Korpua too.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Go ethnic.
LOKUM !! (AKA - Turkish Delights)

One of many recipes -
1 1/2 cups water
3 cups granulated sugar
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons orange zest
3 (.25 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 cup cold water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped pistachio nuts
confectioners' sugar for dusting

Bring 1 1/2 cups water, sugar, and corn syrup to a boil over medium-high heat in a large saucepan. Cook, stirring frequently, until the temperature reaches 240 degrees F (115 degrees C) on a candy thermometer. Set aside and keep hot.

Stir together orange juice and orange zest, sprinkle with gelatin, and set aside. In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1/2 cup cold water, then stir into hot syrup. Place over medium-low heat, and simmer, stirring gently, until very thick.

Remove syrup from heat, stir in orange juice mixture, vanilla, and pistachios. Sprinkle a 8x8-inch pan generously with confectioners' sugar. Pour the Turkish delight into the pan, and let cool in a cool, dry place (not the refrigerator) until set, 3 to 4 hours.

When cool, sprinkle the top with another thick layer of powdered sugar. Cut into 1-inch squares, and dredge each well with confectioners' sugar. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.

posted on Dec, 16 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
An idea is stollen to bake. I'll get a recipe from a friend who is doing it regularly now.

Also, are there any tricks with microwaving chocolate? Usually melting chocolate for use is a time consuming process not on direct heat, but inside a container on top of steam so it slowly melts.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Okay, I gave it a try:

I used the special edition peppermint mini oreos because I couldn't find any peppermint full-sized ones. I was lucky to find the minis I think. It was a bit dodgey since the net weight per package was different than what the recipe called for and so I had to improvise a bit by buying a second package and using a hand full of those.

All in all, still easy and still yummy. Put I think the original version looks nicer.

posted on Dec, 17 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

The original ones you did definitely looked prettier, but these are still nice. I personally probably wouldn't want to bite down on those crunchy peppermints, but I do have a pre-existing aversion to hard candies.

I bet just using the mint oreos but decorating them the way you did originally would be nice too. I haven't tried those mint oreos, so I don't know how strong the flavor is, but I bet you could add a little splash of peppermint extract to them if you wanted a more minty flavor.

I keep thinking about all the lovely treats I'm going to do... but so far not much is happening. I think I might try to do some treat making this weekend, but who knows if it will actually happen. I do really want to try these oreo truffles!

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Ohhhhhh, I didn't think of actually using the peppermint Oreos...

After I searched for more recipes I found the blogger below who said that the peppermint Oreos are the secret ingredient.

The seasonal Peppermint Oreos are the key to making these cake balls perfect. The cookie is the traditional chocolate cookie that we all know & love, but the filling is red and peppermint-flavored! They are awesome all on their own, but when they are ground up and made in to cake balls, covered in chocolate and coated with crushed candy canes (or Starlight mints)? Oh – BABY! My family just went nuts for it and I hope that yours will too!

• 1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
• 1 pkg (15.25 oz) OREO Cookies with Peppermint Cream, finely crushed (run them through a food processor for best results)
• 1 pkg candy melts (find them at your local craft store)
• 1/2 bag starlight mints or a few candy canes, finely crushed

Just FYI – if you can’t find Peppermint Oreos (they release certain varieties to certain stores) look for “Candy Cane Oreos” (I buy these at Target) or you can also replicate this recipe by using regular Oreos and adding 1 tsp peppermint extract to the cookie/cream cheese mixture!

Kassie says
I found peppermint Oreos at Target!

Mindi Cherry says
Yep! They call them “Candy Cane Oreos” there!

momsneedtoknow.com...

Ingredients

• 1 package Trader Joes Candy Cane Joe Joe's - about 16 ounces (or 1 package of regular oreos and 2 candy canes)
• 1 8oz. package cream cheese (softened)
• white chocolate
• dark chocolate

Sprinkle the reserved oreo crumbles on top to garnish and then let the chocolate set and dry.

whatsgabycooking.com...

I placed the 10 mini candy canes into my food processor really crush them into a fine texture. The candy canes used for topping were crushed in a ziptop bag with a mallet.

• 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
• 1 box (13 ounces) Mini Oreo Candy Cane Cookies, finely crushed
• 10 mini candy canes, finely crushed (see note below)
• 16 ounces dark or white candy wafers

For Garnish
5 mini candy canes, crushed (optional)

Cathy
Where did you find the mini candy cane oreo cookies? I can’t seem to locate them. These look so yummy and easy to make. Thanks!

Jamie
I picked them up at Kroger. I hope this helps.

Alexis
What brand candy wafers do you use? Mine never get to the point that I can spoon it out.

Jamie
I love the Ghirardelli melting wafers! I hope this helps!

www.mybakingaddiction.com...

OREO Cookie Ball Reindeers

• 1 pkg (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, softened
• 36 OREO Cookies, finely crushed (about 3 cups)
• 4 pkg. (4 oz. each) semi-sweet baking chocolate, melted
• Optional additions to decorate like a reindeer:
• 24 small twist pretzels
• 48 red hot candies
• 96 eye candies

www.chelseasmessyapron.com...

Mint Oreo Cake Truffles

Make these Mint Oreo Truffles with chocolate cake and cream cheese for a simple sweet treat- perfect for gifting and holiday class parties.
Bake cake according to package directions and allow to cool. I made mine the day before. Using your hands or fork crumble up about half of the cake and add to the Oreo crumbs.

• 1 package Mint Oreos, Double Stuffed
• ½ of 9x13 prepared chocolate cake, cooled and crumbled (or one 9 inch round)
• 8oz cream cheese, softened
• 16 oz (2 Cups) melted chocolate for dipping (+ 1TBS shortening if needed)
• Sprinkles, extra chocolate for decorations if desired

www.inkatrinaskitchen.com...

No-Bake Thin Mint Cookie Truffles

• 1 (9 oz) package of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies (or Keebler Grasshopper cookies)
• 1/2 package (4 oz) cream cheese, softened (I used fat free and it worked great)
• 1 (12 oz) bag Guittard’s Green Mint Chips (I just found these at the grocery store)*

www.sixsistersstuff.com...

In a food processor or blender, process and crush all of the Oreo cookies into fine crumbs. NOTE: Do not over crush! You want a crumb, not a powder. If you do not have a food processor or blender, cookies can also be finely crushed in a resealable plastic bag using a Rolling Pin.

whatscookingamerica.net...

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 18 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   
These look so good....makes me wish I liked Oreos

I love cookies.
So far I have made
7 layer cookies
Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Turtle cookies
White Chocolate Cranberry cookies

I may make more.....but not until after Christmas....

posted on Dec, 20 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I'm so worthless on recipe threads, because I hate to cook. But man! These truffles look beautiful. They look like something out of the bakery/truffle counter at Macy's.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join